Merlin magic!

Ian F3F

Congratulations Mate :thumbsup:

I am sure it will be a great Model, at a great price

I wish you continued success Ian,and hope you develop some more affordable Models for the masses B)

Bob

I was fortunate enough to have a fondle of Merlin yesterday at T9 and was mightily impressed with the feel and quality of all the airframe components, as well as the fit and finish. Very special stuff for money that doesn't make your eyes water.

This project must've taken some big and very persistent effort. Congratulations Ian.

Ro.

• 4 weeks later...

I received one of the new production Merlin's just over a week ago from T9/ Ian Mason to build and put it through its paces on the various inland and sea slope around kent.

I will upload some pictures tomorrow and provide some initial thoughts. I'm looking forward to the maiden flight and getting a feel for the model.

Martin

Here's a couple of pics i took of Ian and his 'Cracking' new model the Merlin. It was taken during this yrs Lundy Slopefest. The model performed very well & impressed B)

IMG_0122(Medium).JPG

IMG_0095(Medium).JPG

Stu.

Here are few pics before I start the build.  Very impressive, all surfaces are clean and the model fits together as well as any model.

IMG_2297.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_2304.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

Merlin now landed in my Liverpool flat

Ian's prototype - Merlin wings on a Willow fuselage - which must make it a "Merlow", or maybe a "Willin"  :)

I first saw the prototype back in June on a local Devon slope - was flying well - you can tell it was June in the photo cos of the waterproofs / windproofs

Hoping to get it in the air & around the F3F course at the Mynd this weekend

Phil.

Merlow_topsides.jpg

Merlow_undersides.jpg

Merlin_prototype.jpg

Clive Henry Jones

Hey Phil,

I'd probably plump for "Merlot" as in the wine... :)

Kudos to Ian for seeing his dreams and work manifest itself into this slope racer. Top job. :thumbsup:

Clive.

Anthony Murphy

I've noticed that price wise there isn't much difference between the Merlin and the Willow, and also both are F3F and both are the same wing span. 

So what does the Merlin offer over the Willow? or vice versa? if I was looking to purchase a Willow or Merlin

On 05/11/2013 at 15:30, Anthony Murphy said:

I've noticed that price wise there isn't much difference between the Merlin and the Willow, and also both are F3F and both are the same wing span. 

So what does the Merlin offer over the Willow? or vice versa? if I was looking to purchase a Willow or Merlin

They share the same wing span but have very different wing sections/Fuz length etc... so I would expect they will perform differently.

Give Rich a ring at T9 I am sure he will be more than willing to talk through the differences and pro/cons.

Fuz length .......? are you sure

I wrote this on RCG ion answer to the same question

I have flown Willows since the betas and have flown Ians Merlin on Lundy ...the merlin is if you like a clean sheet with all the lessons learned on the various Willow improvements . It flies in a very similar fashion maybe a tad faster maybe turns a tiny bit tighter ..but most of this is subjective on the day ...do you prefer a nose cone or a canopy ..the Merling wing is slightly broader for the same span , they both carry the same ballast tube ....which one looks better to you . I dont think there is a definative answer ....almost like cyril or ceres ...its all very subtle

Andy.

On 06/11/2013 at 05:49, Andy_B said:

Fuz length .......? are you sure

I

Andy.

Probably not much in it but the info onT9 indicates it might be a shorter fuz, to be fair it does not say compared to the Willow

Quote..... Extra stiffness has been introduced in the fuselage, as well as it being comparatively shortened, to create more aggressive turning potential. Merlins’ shorter boom simply delivers a turn with more ping.

Roy