Merlin magic!

Ian F3F

Red strip

That brings back memories of when I was 18.

Snd the hangovers:-)

Crumbs Les your memory is good to remember that far back .

Nice looking plane mind

Crumbs Les your memory is good to remember that far back .

Nice looking plane mind

My memory is just fine Fred.

:-) LOL

Cheeky bugger

Managed to make a start on the Merlin build.  Servo tray made and now fitted, including creating a mold for the ballast tube secured to the tray to make it a much easier to fit and provide correct alignment for the ballast tube into the fuz:

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_2602.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Merlin build is completed unfortunately just couldn't get the ballast made in time for today.

Overall it was an extremely easy quick build and nice for a change to have the extra room to work with. Using standard linkages on the ailerons and flaps was also nice from the usual LDS system I install. 

For reference if you use MKS servos 6125 minis on the ailerons and 6125's on the flaps, starting point for the linkage lengths are 59mm for flaps and 63mm for the ailerons.  CG is currently set at 100mm, but until I test fly I cant confirm if this is the best place to start from.

Few more pictures from the build below.  When fixing the linkages for the elevators I placed some tap along the edge of the hinge line to protect it from the epoxy but removed it just before it set.

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2617.jpeg

Couple more pictures of the tails fitted and the completed servo tray.  Just need to tidy up the wiring and fix the magnetic switch.

The joiners for the tail I finished flush with the fuz and placed a small amount of cyno to hold them in place.

IMG_2618.jpeg

IMG_2620.jpeg

Really nice building Martin,- I may have to use some of those pics too!

JP flew his Merlin at the Weekend to get it ready for the Whitesheet race.  His posts will catch up with the Forum soon with luck.

Ian

yes I did manage to get the Mirlin out Yesterday and it did not disappoint, looked and felt good in the air.

(hope these work)couple of pics.

Had about five flights in all, two to reset movements as at first I had very little roll rate or to much and a touchy back end other than that no problems.

The plane seamed to like ballast in the light air I had, and had a easy landing manner. I did get a sticky elevator so there is a rework on the bench to sort that out.

I do hope to have the Mirlin ready for a go in the week if weather is good.

JP

On 24/11/2013 at 21:03, Martin_N said:

For reference if you use MKS servos 6125 minis on the ailerons and 6125's on the flaps, starting point for the linkage lengths are 59mm for flaps and 63mm for the ailerons. 

I'm sure thats really useful information but you may be the only person in the world to do a full MKS install in a Merlin :P

• Like 2

I'm sure thats really useful information but you may be the only person in the world to do a full MKS install in a Merlin :P

KST servos are the same and used regularly by many pilots.

• Like 2

On 30/11/2013 at 20:29, fpljohn said:

Willow and Merlin both fly very well.

A man of few words :D lol ...Good to hear Jon, i'm awaiting your entry for next weekends round 2 of the Southern F3f comp at Whitesheet, i and others can then see how the Merlin performs on a course :thumbsup: . Hope your able to make the trip.

Stu.

Got to have a fly with my Merlin today.

Wow it's great in the turn.

Just need a day with a load of wind so I can fully ballast it.

Todays wind was very light around 8mph N/W.

Let's just hope next weekend brings more wind.

Got to fly Ians production Merlin again to day.

Wind was 15/20 WSW and quiet bumpy at times.

Anyway I played around with some settings and got it flying really well.

Six slugs of ballest and she was revving up like a beautie.

I found it turns a hell off a lot better without snapflap.

If anyone else out there who's been flying the Merlin I'd like to her views on using snapflap on this model.

Anyway looking forward in flying next weekends comp with it on the Mynd.