Merlin magic!

Ian F3F

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I need your advice please. I am nearing completion of the Merlin. For the fuselage servos I have a pair of MKS DS6100 for the Vtail. Are these up to the job, they seem very tiny to me and look lost in the fuss. They do however have a decent torque, with 3.19 kg-cm@4.8v. If they are not suitable what servos do you recommend? 

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks Moose, I guess as it is a Vtail, combining the two together as an elevator and rudder equates to over 6 kg of torque (if that is how it works) They just tiny for such a big model. 

It's not the size of the model it's the size of the control surface, speed of the air flow and the gearing of the linkage etc.

Large control surfaces need more torque. It's like opening a barn door in a gale or opening a small window. One is harder than the other.

Gearing also counts.  If the servo arm is twice as long as the vtail horn the servo is in effect in a low gear. To use another analogy if the servo arm is too long its like trying to bike uphill in high gear.

I've very often used MKS DS6125e's to drive V-tail surfaces in F3F models. They have a slightly lower torque rating than DS6100's.

Thanks for all your advice and information, I really do appreciate it. As yo have probably gathered this is the first time I have put a mouldie together. I have always bought and flown them second,hand, built and ready to go. It certainly is a learning curve, but I am getting there. Proof, I suppose will be in the maiden!! Anyhow, I have another question, sorry! I have heard that the MKS DS6001 are susceptible to a higher voltage of 5v as stated on the spec and are in danger of burning out. Given that I intend to use a 4.8v sub C flight battery, which when fully charged can reach up to 6v, could this be an issue? Is this a know fact? Or, just one person who told had an insulated issue. Would it be best to go down the lipo and UBEC route where I can regulate a constant voltage? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.