Shinto from Aer-O-Tec

Martin_N

Hi Aubry,

Congratulations on your results since flying the Shinto.

I am yet to have an opportunity to really know if its going to bring me success or not. But I am enjoying the model - and thats very important to me.

My thoughts after flying the model now for a couple of months, is its great to fly. Accurate and easy. It seems to be happy in any style of turn.

In the UK we have had several weeks now of very light winds and I have been impressed by just how you can mistreat the Shinto, turning very tight in poor lift may not be the best approach but if you need to the Shinto doesn't mind.

I also find it impressive the way it sits in thermal turns etc, it feels very comfortable and nicely harmonised on the controls. Placing accuratley on slope edges etc is also very easy.

Simon shows its a very capable model with many great wins behind it so it should be fast enough. 

My LDS system with the KST servos is very power hungry but works accurately. I'm sure it could be improved upon, perhaps the RDS isn't the best option if you say if it shows centering issues. The LDS that is now being offered I think has a few more size options that may allow a better installation. If I was building another then I would try hard to get a few more mm on the flap horn lengths.

CG; Lots of talk on the net of 87 but  I'm at 92 and quite a bit of snap (sorry I haven't measured it) Coming in with a very slight negative expo. Model feels snappy enough and can be felt/controlled around the turns.      I really should try a little further back as the model doesn't punch a square as well as my FS or my Fosa. It may be the servos or the snakes. I did put a spacer across the fuselage just in front of the wing joiner and have fixed the snakes at that point. Or it may simply be the longer fuselage, its not a problem it just feels less snappy in some situations.

I keep the CG during ballast by adding one rearward joiner side (1 piece) to 2 wing sleeve pieces (approx) 

therefore full rear joiner(2 pieces)  + 4 wing slots.

up to, all wing joiners (4 pieces) and all wing slots (12) 

I have been flying light  and using less ballast than I would in other models, partly because I wanted to explore this part of the flight. Not sure if its a way forward or not but it may just allow me to use that superb balance to be able to fly very tight in very light air.. Time will tell..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Tony maidend his Shinto today, conditions were slightly crossed and quite light with first flight empty, as the day went on things improved, seeing Tony add ~ 500g in his fuselage ballast tube mod (Baudis tube). Seemed to groove very well, one to watch in the league this year me thinks!

image.thumb.jpeg.ce688b1419a7c688648d3d8image.thumb.jpeg.ae1be68543d36ba43347ead

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't resist it

image.thumb.jpeg.8b53e5111b7abbc19a469f5

was going to buy an electric version, but installation looks like it's not that well sorted. Might buy a fuselage later. 

• Like 2

Aubry GABANON

Electric version brought by our side, waiting to measure real space to make choice...

Your video you shared (on a other forum) looks great

Neon orange! Love it ;-)

I perhaps should have said title of thread is now out of date as the uk distributor is hyperflight. 

Neil is trying to keep stock. I managed to get this one within a few weeks of deciding to buy another. 

And collected from his place just an hour down the road 

1 hour ago, isoaritfirst said:

I perhaps should have said title of thread is now out of date as the uk distributor is hyperflight. 

The title is not out of date Mike - Aer-O-Tec (Stefan Eder & Max Steidle) are the designers of the plane and wing section respectively, and own the design.   Vladimir builds it for them (and provided manufacturing design input).  Hyperflight are distributing it in the UK, and Neil is doing a great job of getting planes and keeping the price at a reasonable level.

Simon

I have an F5J Shinto with AUW of 1998grms, in light conditions the Shinto can get away from 65metres launch heights. Lands are tricky in lights weather .... compared to the floaters. This model shows very good signs all round. My F3B shinto launches 330 + from 150m line all day.

• Like 1

Hi Elecfit,

It was one reason why I fancied having an electric version, as the Shinto shows great handling in light conditions and I would expect it to make a very versatile option.

I would want it to be able to get away with some ballast on board as well. 

The electric fuselage looks as if it is simply the Glider one with the nose cut off, so until I get around to fitting out the fuselage it is still an option open to me on this build.

Can you let me have a few details on your choices, batteries, motor, speed controller and where you have managed to squeeze the receiver in etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
natxopedreira

Cool videos, seems very very fast, someday i have to try to do some ds laps.

In your ds video.... i don't understand, where is the backside of the slope. To your left seems to be a cliff and in the right side looks like flat...

Aubry is ds-ing in the rotor created by the sheer edge of the cliff, helped a little by the trees that run along the cliff edge.

Its no different to having a steep ridge. Although it does mean flying low to the ground on the far turn.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...