Sign in to follow this  
Gromit

Round 2 Southern Winter F3f league , Whitesheet 8th Dec.

Allen_The_Soarer

In case anyone is interested this is the eastbourne and whitesheet added together

1 Graeme Mahoney    1921

2 John Phillips               1870

3 Tony Robertson        1774

4 Ian Mason                  1762

5 Allen Elliott                 1677

6 Pete Burgess              1634

7 Simon Thornton        1000

7 Tony Livingstone       1000

8 John Bennett             983

9 G Lewis                       967

10 Martin Drewett          946

11 John Fox                  931

12 Gary Harrison          913

13 Stuart Wallace        910

14 Joe Cubitt                865

15 John Livingston      846

16 Ian Falconer            834      

17 John Treble             824

18 Matthew How           806

19 L Tolson                   510

20 Tom Noble              216

Gromit

OK, a little later than i'd hoped, here's my Comp sec report for Sundays Southern Winter League F3f race hosted by the Whitesheet Club.

On arriving about 20 mins before the meet time at 9.00, Jon & I were greeted with a steady drizzle in the air. This was not what XC Weather had been promising us from many days before. Whitesheet was right on the edge of some of the wet stuff, it was just heavy enough to be a pain, and of some concern to us.

Tony Livingstone & Graeme Mahony had arrived early and were 'camped' on the hill. They'd had a flight or two to test the air and 'get in the zone' for the race ahead.

A steady trickle of pilots arrived soon after us, all gliding smoothly along our newly laid road surface. There were to be no exhausts knocked off or pierced oil sumps on this day.

With a bit of the drizzly stuff still in the air, the course was set up, models readied, and greetings exchanged between us all.

I gave the pilots briefing at 10, and with the wet stuff now clearing and brighter weather approaching on the horizon, we set a start time for 10.20.

The brighter weather did indeed arrive as hoped and we began at around 10.20 in overcast and light conditions.

Round 1 The opening round saw John Philips putting the new 'Merlin', produced by Ian Mason, on a an F3f course for the very first time. Jon showed us all that the Merlin was going to be a very competitive model on the F3f circuit in 2014 and beyond, by winning this round with a time of 58.28. Second place went to Whitesheet regular Graeme Mahoney, flying his Cyril with a run of 59.87.  Jon Bennett took 3rd with another model out of the Ian Mason stable the 'Willow', this was with a time of 60.32.

So a very impressive start for Ian Masons recently released  model 'The Merlin'. A first round win in its first ever F3f Comp.The Merlin was up against, Freestyler's, Ceres, Pitbull, Extreeme. Cyril, Ceres and other proven F3f winning models.

Round 2.  This round saw the breeze picking up a little, with many pilots knocking on average around 9 seconds off their first round times.  The round was won by Greg Lewis, a returning pilot to the F3f scene.  Greg took the round flying his very cool looking Rotmilan schemed Freestyler with a time of 49.69.  2nd was Jon Fox flying his RCRCM Strega. The Strega is a model that I don't see that frequently on the slopes.  Jon flew his Strega very acurately to get a time of 51.79. Third place went to Jon Philips getting his Merlin placed very nicely again with a time of 51.81.

Round 3. This round was won by Martin Drewett with a time of 46.16. I think Martin was flying his Pitbull ( let me know please Martin if i'm incorrect and i'l adjust this report)  Second place was Jon Bennett flying his Willow to a time of 51.04. Jon always impresses me with his very smooth flying. He's certainly got his Willow dialled in nicely. Third place saw another top three placing for Greg Lewis with a time of  51.73 .

Round 4  This saw another win for Jon Philips and that impressive Merlin of his. He won this round with a time of 49.42.  Second place was Tony Robertson with a 49.45 flying his Freestyler 4. Third went to Greg Lewis flying a 50.71.  

Round 5.  This saw the pattern of results begin to change. Tony Livingstone decided it was time he got a top 3 placing on his 'home slope'. He won the round flying his Ceres with a well flown round of 45.93.  Second place went to Graeme Mahoner flying his Cyril to a time of 50.01. In third was Ian Mason with that new baby of his the Merlin with a time of 50.68.

Round 6. This round saw Tony Livingstone getting another round win, after another well flown round. He flew his Ceres to a time of 51.79. Second place was Tony Robertson with a 54.49 and third spot went to Martin Drewett with a 56.17 .

Round 7.  This was a win for Graeme Mahoney with a time of 47.91. Second place was Jon Bennett again getting his Willow well placed with a 48.18 . Third place saw Ian Mason getting his Merlin into another top 3 placing with a time of 48.98.

Round 8. This started at around 3.50pm. The skies had now cleared, the sun was out, but being a SW facing slope it was now low and in our faces. This final round was another win for Whitesheets Tony Livingstone. He took this round win, his 3rd round win of the day, with a time of 45.90. Second place was Ian Mason and his Merlin flying a time of 50.01. Third spot  went to John Bennet and his Willow with a 52.09.

Huge congrats to Tony on winning Round 2 Of The Southern Winter League F3f comps. Tony flew very nicely indeed all day. Tony achieved three round wins during the day. Excelent flying indeed i'm sure you'll agree.

2nd place went to John Philips flying the new Merlin.

3rd  place went to Jon Bennett with the Merlin's stablemate the Willow.

Fastest time of the day went to Whitesheets Tony Livingstone in round 8 with a 45.9

I'm certain Ian Mason too will be rightly delighted with the result of Sundays comp. His new model the Merlin, and the already race winning proven Willow, performed very impressively throughout the day.

The Merlin took 3 round wins, one 2nd place and 3 third places.

The Willow took 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

I'm certain we're going to see a lot of the Merlin in 2014 on the F3f scene, and on slopes all over the uk and beyond, by pilots Sport flying. Congrats to Ian on producing two 'Cracking Models', you should be rightly proud of your achievement in producing these two models. I'm sure its been a bumpy ride getting these models into production and marketed.

Placings were very close throughout the day in the rest of the field too. I'l post the spreadsheet ASAP so you can see for yourselves how close the comp was. At the end of the days racing, nobody could confidently   predict the top three, yet alone a clear winner.

I enjoyed meeting a few more BARCS members, and putting some more faces to names.

Well done to Leigh Tolson flying I believe in his first F3f comp. His final position doesn't reflect his good flying during the day as Leigh was only able to stay with us for the first 5 rounds. His times in those rounds were very competitive. I hope we're going to see more of Leigh on the F3f circuit in 2014.

I as Whitesheet Comp Sec, thankyou on behalf of the Whitesheet Committee for supporting Sundays comp. We look forward to hosting another F3f event in the New Year.

We hope you were all impressed by the standard of the newly laid track. This wouldn't of been possible without your support and generous donations.

Note to those 'Nasty Midlanders:-.... Lynda arrived around lunch time and cooked everyone some delicious bacon butties :drool: .

Stu. Whitesheet Comp Sec.

• Like 3

Andy_B

...........so thats a bacon butty you owe me for calculating your scores..............I'm sure ill give you the Needle over it ........ ;)

P.S   Didnt Ian fly his Merlin in the first event ?

• Like 2

Gromit

...........so thats a bacon butty you owe me for calculating your scores..............I'm sure ill give you the Needle over it ........ ;)

P.S   Didnt Ian fly his Merlin in the first event ?

Andy, Many thanks for verifying the results for us. This was very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Yes I think you may be right Andy. He may have flown it in round 1 of the Southern Winter League at Eastbourne. ( can you verify this please Ian ) 

Did John Philips fly his Merlin in this comp too ?

Stu

oipigface

.......... he flew consistently all day ...........

Just like me then!

Except he flew consistently well, and I was a consistent prat. I lost count of the cuts. 5 out of 8 rounds, I think.

• Like 1

Ian F3F

I did race my merlin in the first comp.  Not sure my efforts count though!

It was john's first competitive flight on sunday and a round win. With his set up advise even my thumbs couldn't slow the merlin down too much. 

A good comp all rounds, well flown tony- do you know why Allan disqualified you from the first race?

Ian

Allen_The_Soarer
Corrected with Tony in the right place not sure why you are John in Eastbourne and Tony in Whitesheet 

1 Graeme Mahoney    1921

2 John Phillips               1870

3 Tony Livingstone       1846

4 Tony Robertson        1774

5 Ian Mason                  1762

6 Allen Elliott                 1677

7 Pete Burgess              1634

8 Simon Thornton        1000

9 John Bennett             983

10 G Lewis                       967

11 Martin Drewett          946

12 John Fox                  931

13 Gary Harrison          913

14 Stuart Wallace        910

15 Joe Cubitt                865   

16 Ian Falconer            834      

17 John Treble             824

18 Matthew How           806

19 L Tolson                   510

20 Tom Noble              216

Jon_F

Great report Stu and thank you for running an excellent competition. Well done Tony Livingstone - well deserved win.

• Like 1

Gromit

Just like me then!

Except he flew consistently well, and I was a consistent prat. I lost count of the cuts. 5 out of 8 rounds, I think.

Jon, with everyone experiencing very similar air throughout each of the eight rounds, times between pilots were very close. Anyone who cut was punished dearly. Our winner Tony Livingstone had a 'Mare' trying to find 'base b' in round three. I think he had about 3 or 4 goes at trying to find it before eventualy hearing the buzzer. It added around 20 seconds to his time for that round. Tony wasn't phased by this though, he recovered from it to win 3 of the next 5 rounds, and a fourth  spot too.

You had your Pitbull going well, but frustratingly it just wasn't to be your day.

Stu.

fpljohn

Yes have to say a well run comp for Stu's frist, and to get a really good event in at Whitesheet. Well done to Mr Livingstone on his win, you need to try harder on cutting please for the next one.

The new surface to the track looked good also, it was a shame about the Cow patts as I seamed to manage to hit one every landing.

I hope every pilot had a good time and enjoyed there bacon butty, thanks to Linda for them and the club for use of there site.

JP

• Like 3

f3fman

It was a great day out, thoroughly enjoyed it, the Willow was behaving very nicely despite not having sloped for many months.

I was on base B when Tony did 2 cuts my end and a third cut up at base A. He was flying a very tight course, obviously a bit too tight on that round but that's the difference between winning overall and coming further down the list, well done Tony !

Baldyslapnut

Stu,

First time back at an F3F comp since 1997. Thank you for running such a good event. You cracked through the rounds which made the trip well worthwhile.

The road is a huge improvement. We visited Whitesheet in August and the difference is very noticeable.

It was great to see John Phillips, John Bennett and Tony Robinson after so many years out of the sport. Guys thank you for your support and help on the day.

Also seeing John Fox who used to be my bank manager flying was good fun.

It is noticeable how the standard has improved since my last comp and there is much greater strength in depth throughout the field.

Greg

• Like 2

Alibabaj

So Ceres have won both Southern Rounds held so far. Jiri will be proud that his Ceres design is still very competitive. Interestingly, I let Martin Newnham fly mine at Beltinge recently. He hadn't flown since Rügen, yet instantly he was flying fast on the edge with it. He was gobsmacked how nice a www.raintoday.co.uk it was to fly. They track very well and the controls are very harmonised. Mine still flies very well.

Simon

I've seen Tony fly the Ceres for some time now and it seems to be a very well sorted design

I'm hoping that the Pitbull will be the next step forward in performance

Graeme

Jon_F

Stu,

First time back at an F3F comp since 1997. Thank you for running such a good event. You cracked through the rounds which made the trip well worthwhile.

The road is a huge improvement. We visited Whitesheet in August and the difference is very noticeable.

It was great to see John Phillips, John Bennett and Tony Robinson after so many years out of the sport. Guys thank you for your support and help on the day.

Also seeing John Fox who used to be my bank manager flying was good fun.

It is noticeable how the standard has improved since my last comp and there is much greater strength in depth throughout the field.

Greg

Good to see you again on Sunday Greg and welcome to the BARCS site - 16 year gap since flying F3F ... your flying was very precise and looked like the setup on your Freestyler was spot on. If you get too good can I recommend another sabatical ;)

Gromit

Due to my Cd'ing duties i'm afraid I didn't find the time ( plus I forgot ), to take my usual array of pics, of events during the day. I don't know if anyone else took any ?. If anyone does have a pic or two they'd like to share, i'd very much like to see them :thumbsup: .

Stu.  Whitesheet Comp Sec.

Tone-the-glider

OK, a little later than i'd hoped, here's my Comp sec report for Sundays Southern Winter League F3f race hosted by the Whitesheet Club.

On arriving about 20 mins before the meet time at 9.00, Jon & I were greeted with a steady drizzle in the air. This was not what XC Weather had been promising us from many days before. Whitesheet was right on the edge of some of the wet stuff, it was just heavy enough to be a pain, and of some concern to us.

Tony Livingstone & Graeme Mahony had arrived early and were 'camped' on the hill. They'd had a flight or two to test the air and 'get in the zone' for the race ahead.

A steady trickle of pilots arrived soon after us, all gliding smoothly along our newly laid road surface. There were to be no exhausts knocked off or pierced oil sumps on this day.

With a bit of the drizzly stuff still in the air, the course was set up, models readied, and greetings exchanged between us all.

I gave the pilots briefing at 10, and with the wet stuff now clearing and brighter weather approaching on the horizon, we set a start time for 10.20.

The brighter weather did indeed arrive as hoped and we began at around 10.20 in overcast and light conditions.

Round 1 The opening round saw John Philips putting the new 'Merlin', produced by Ian Mason, on a an F3f course for the very first time. Jon showed us all that the Merlin was going to be a very competitive model on the F3f circuit in 2014 and beyond, by winning this round with a time of 58.28. Second place went to Whitesheet regular Graeme Mahoney, flying his Cyril with a run of 59.87.  Jon Bennett took 3rd with another model out of the Ian Mason stable the 'Willow', this was with a time of 60.32.

So a very impressive start for Ian Masons recently released  model 'The Merlin'. A first round win in its first ever F3f Comp.The Merlin was up against, Freestyler's, Ceres, Pitbull, Extreeme. Cyril, Ceres and other proven F3f winning models.

Round 2.  This round saw the breeze picking up a little, with many pilots knocking on average around 9 seconds off their first round times.  The round was won by Greg Lewis, a returning pilot to the F3f scene.  Greg took the round flying his very cool looking Rotmilan schemed Freestyler with a time of 49.69.  2nd was Jon Fox flying his RCRCM Strega. The Strega is a model that I don't see that frequently on the slopes.  Jon flew his Strega very acurately to get a time of 51.79. Third place went to Jon Philips getting his Merlin placed very nicely again with a time of 51.81.

Round 3. This round was won by Martin Drewett with a time of 46.16. I think Martin was flying his Pitbull ( let me know please Martin if i'm incorrect and i'l adjust this report)  Second place was Jon Bennett flying his Willow to a time of 51.04. Jon always impresses me with his very smooth flying. He's certainly got his Willow dialled in nicely. Third place saw another top three placing for Greg Lewis with a time of  51.73 .

Round 4  This saw another win for Jon Philips and that impressive Merlin of his. He won this round with a time of 49.42.  Second place was Tony Robertson with a 49.45 flying his ? ( let me know please Tony). Third went to Greg Lewis flying a 50.71.  

Round 5.  This saw the pattern of results begin to change. Tony Livingstone decided it was time he got a top 3 placing on his 'home slope'. He won the round flying his Ceres with a well flown round of 45.93.  Second place went to Graeme Mahoner flying his Cyril to a time of 50.01. In third was Ian Mason with that new baby of his the Merlin with a time of 50.68.

Round 6. This round saw Tony Livingstone getting another round win, after another well flown round. He flew his Ceres to a time of 51.79. Second place was Tony Robertson with a 54.49 and third spot went to Martin Drewett with a 56.17 .

Round 7.  This was a win for Graeme Mahoney with a time of 47.91. Second place was Jon Bennett again getting his Willow well placed with a 48.18 . Third place saw Ian Mason getting his Merlin into another top 3 placing with a time of 48.98.

Round 8. This started at around 3.50pm. The skies had now cleared, the sun was out, but being a SW facing slope it was now low and in our faces. This final round was another win for Whitesheets Tony Livingstone. He took this round win, his 3rd round win of the day, with a time of 45.90. Second place was Ian Mason and his Merlin flying a time of 50.01. Third spot  went to John Bennet and his Willow with a 52.09.

Huge congrats to Tony on winning Round 2 Of The Southern Winter League F3f comps. Tony flew very nicely indeed all day. Tony achieved three round wins during the day. Excelent flying indeed i'm sure you'll agree.

2nd place went to John Philips flying the new Merlin.

3rd  place went to Jon Bennett with the Merlin's stablemate the Willow.

Fastest time of the day went to Whitesheets Tony Livingstone in round 8 with a 45.9

I'm certain Ian Mason too will be rightly delighted with the result of Sundays comp. His new model the Merlin, and the already race winning proven Willow, performed very impressively throughout the day.

The Merlin took 3 round wins, one 2nd place and 3 third places.

The Willow took 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

I'm certain we're going to see a lot of the Merlin in 2014 on the F3f scene, and on slopes all over the uk and beyond, by pilots Sport flying. Congrats to Ian on producing two 'Cracking Models', you should be rightly proud of your achievement in producing these two models. I'm sure its been a bumpy ride getting these models into production and marketed.

Placings were very close throughout the day in the rest of the field too. I'l post the spreadsheet ASAP so you can see for yourselves how close the comp was. At the end of the days racing, nobody could confidently   predict the top three, yet alone a clear winner.

I enjoyed meeting a few more BARCS members, and putting some more faces to names.

Well done to Leigh Tolson flying I believe in his first F3f comp. His final position doesn't reflect his good flying during the day as Leigh was only able to stay with us for the first 5 rounds. His times in those rounds were very competitive. I hope we're going to see more of Leigh on the F3f circuit in 2014.

I as Whitesheet Comp Sec, thankyou on behalf of the Whitesheet Committee for supporting Sundays comp. We look forward to hosting another F3f event in the New Year.

We hope you were all impressed by the standard of the newly laid track. This wouldn't of been possible without your support and generous donations.

Note to those 'Nasty Midlanders:-.... Lynda arrived around lunch time and cooked everyone some delicious bacon butties :drool: .

Hi Stu.

I was flying Freestyler 4.

Great write up for Sundays comp.

Great day,nice weather, great slope, and best of all a friendly White Sheet Club. Wish they all could be as enjoyable.

I defy anyone to have a better days flying.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Gromit

Thanyou Tony for your very kind words.