English open F3f

Gromit

I'm trying to find out some history of the English Open F3f Comps, but not having much success at all. I spent an hr searching the interweb last night, I followed several links, but found next to nothing about it.

The info i'm after is this kind of thing;-

1/  Why is this comp no longer run ?

2/  I'm aware that the Whitesheet Club has run this Comp in the past, can anyone give me info about these ?Maybee 'you were there' and can give me details of these events ?

3/  Which other Clubs have run this Comp in the past  ?

4/ I'm aware that there's the North of England, and South of England Open , are these what took over from the English open ?  If so what were the reasons for this ?

I'm sure you get the idea of what i'm after. Any and all info much appreciated :thumbsup:

Stu. Whitesheet Comp Sec.

Hi Stuart, you should find archived information on Kev Newton & Mike Shellim's sites. I Think 2007 was the last one held at Whitesheet.

Hi Buzz, thanks for that, i'l go back through their archive's . I have looked at there sites already, but i'l revisit them and look again in more detail.   :thumbsup:  

Stu

2008 was the last one - and the only one I've flown - I really enjoyed it

I think it deserves to be resurrected

look on Mike Shellim's site for reports etc.

http://rc-soar.com/gallery/index.php

maybe ask here if anyone would be interested in attending if it was restarted?

as to why it ended - maybe:

- sponsorship ended

- lack of interest / wasnt well publicised (2008 wasnt)

- some folks dont think Whitesheet is worth the effort of travelling

- was in August - folks on holiday? - not much wind?

Phil.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil . I've just gone back through M Shellims  blog and got pics & reports for several English open comps.

I've also got similar info from Kevins blog .

However i still cant find anything at all regarding why these comps ceased ?  I guess its hiding away in a Forum somewhere. Maybee the Yahoo F3f ?.   Anybody help with this ?

As for your comment '' maybe ask here if anyone would be interested in attending if restarted''.  This is the reason for me starting this thread. I'd like to find out / research the history of this event before 'possibly' commiting myself to running this event at Whitesheet next yr. 

I'm sure there's a big difference between organising , running etc an English Open to running a Winter League event, but if the support , help, and advice is forthcoming to me from experienced CD's then i'd be interested in resurrecting this Comp.

I hope other CD's across the UK can post there thoughts here, and offer me their advice and comments etc, on what is at the moment just an idea I have.

All comments from CD's and F3f pilots , please post your thoughts. You can PM me if for some reason you'd prefer this .

Stu. Whitesheet Comp Sec

Hi Stu

Back when I was involved in f3f I think there was no english open the couple of years I organised the race calendar.

As I recall the event was largely organised by the Cubitts and I think when the Cubitts shop closed (or was going to close) the event was no longer organised.  I don't know much about the happening down at Whitesheet, so you would have to ask down there for a more detailed explaination.

The other problem is fitting it in to the f3f calendar at a time when there aren't other events, especially now that the eurotour and world cup have become popular with UK pilots.

T

Wind directions maybe?

Martin.  Again this is another reason for my post . Whitesheet doesn't cater for a number of wind directions . The wind direction for the comp would be a limiting factor to the event happening.  

I know Whitesheet hosted the comp in the past, but cant find any real report or thoughts etc on Whitesheet being used to run such an event and how succesfull they were.

Would the interest be there from pilots on the F3f circuit to go to such an event at Whitesheet ?

Stu

Hi Stu

Back when I was involved in f3f I think there was no english open the couple of years I organised the race calendar.

As I recall the event was largely organised by the Cubitts and I think when the Cubitts shop closed (or was going to close) the event was no longer organised.  I don't know much about the happening down at Whitesheet, so you would have to ask down there for a more detailed explaination.

The other problem is fitting it in to the f3f calendar at a time when there aren't other events, especially now that the eurotour and world cup have become popular with UK pilots.

T

Tom,  Many thanks for your post. It may well be the case that the current callender works perfectly and everyone is more than happy with the way things are, and have no wish to add another comp to an already busy F3f calendar. I'm just testing the water, getting the thoughts of all persons involved, and letting you all know that 'IF' & only 'IF' my thought was worth considering, i may be willing to rekindle this Comp.

Did the English open die out because nobody was willing to organise the event ? or was it the case that it was improved upon by running the current F3f comps ? Please let me know.

I'm new to the position of Comp sec, the last thing i want is to step on anyones toes, rock the boat etc etc. I'm just offering my sevices if i'm deemed suitable. If you feel i'm out of my depth please let me know .  I'l not be offended by any posts, so please post your thoughts or PM if preferred

Stu

Hi Stu

The English open (from my memmory of pub based conversations) was ann idea driven by the Cubitts/Alex McMekin back in the day he was heavily competing annd living in wincanton.  There were also only 6 BMFA league races, the Welsh Open and the Woollybacks each year.  The BMFA calenndar kept August free for family holidays.

A conversation inn the Hunter's Arms went along the lines of- "what would you have to do to have an english open"- "put on a race and call it the English open".  Pilots at the time had fewer races, a great appetite for a new race and thhe same willingness noww that as long as someone else runs the race they will attend.

And so it happened, with effort from Ade Law (who famously forgot the buzzers for the first Saturday so we used whistles on a sunny day and then slept in with a hang over on the Sunday and only arrived with the course as the wind died on the Sunday)  4 rounds and I was 4th i remember.

My vaugue understanding is that after a number of years of very enjoyable weekends on the slope and in the Pub.  Those few who ran/put effort into the comp started to look to others and there weren't any.  With the HoH putting on a bi-annual euro tour the English open fitted in around this.

The south of England Eurotour in eastbourne now runs in the alternative year to the North of England one (you know this).

I think it is a pitty the Whitesheet friendly was lost from the Calendar I do thhink there is room for a more social summer race, but who is this 'some one' who no doubt people will say should go to the effort of runnning the race again?

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Stu- I can also fill you fill with lots of details. Was always a friendly comp and as such might still appeal to the locals and those not sunny themselves on a beach somehere ;)

The committee are here to help.. no going solo ..... ;) If the F3F Calendar is fit to bust then maybe a local event or a larger club event migth suit better.

Lundylynda

Hi Stu- I can also fill you fill with lots of details. Was always a friendly comp and as such might still appeal to the locals and those not sunny themselves on a beach somehere ;)

The committee are here to help.. no going solo ..... ;) If the F3F Calendar is fit to bust then maybe a local event or a larger club event migth suit better.

Lundylynda

Thanks Lynda :thumbsup: ,

Stu.

Another factor to bear in mind, was the introduction of Lundy to the calendar from 2009 onwards. This is held at a similar time to past English opens.

Another factor to bear in mind, was the introduction of Lundy to the calender from 2009 onwards. This is held at a similar time to past English opens.

Thanks for that info Buzz.

Stu.

It wasn't till i read Ian's post that i then realised that it was my own club The Whitesheet RFC  itself, that began and ran this Comp. Our Club chairman Lynda has now filled me in on the history, and the reason why the comp stopped being held. This was due, as Ian correctly said, to nobody being prepared to step forward to takeover the organizing and running of the Comp. The amount of work involved was  too much for the then organisers to deal with at that particular time.

So, i now know the history behind the English Open. 

I'd now like to hear all your views please about possibly bringing this Comp back into being.

I'd like to get an idea of the level of support out there ? 

Would YOU yourself support this event ?

As for when the re -introduction of the English Open might take place, Lynda, Joe Cubbitt and I were thinking Mid to late August. I believe that this is a quiet period in the F3f calender and would be the ideal time for it to be held. This is of course a busy time for Family holiday's etc though.

I stress again that this is just an idea that both I and The Whitesheet RFC have. This thread is all homework. we need your imput, wether positive or negative please .

Any and all your thoughts please.

• Like 2

Count me in :)

(but maybe keep it as a "friendly" separate from the BMFA league & the pressure that brings?)

Phil.

Thanks for your thoughts Phil and positive support for the possible re-introduction of the English Open.

Yes, we were thinking that it would be re-introduced as a ''friendly'' seperate from the BMFA league .