Sign in to follow this  
Gromit

English open F3f

Gromit

Hi Guys,

With just a few days to go until day 1 of the English Open I'm certain that like me, all who have entered the comp are now scanning the weather forecasts to see what we can expect over the 2 days.  Both the BBC & XC forecasts are looking pretty good & very similar for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2642730    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/mere_Wiltshire

For those pilots who are unsure about what the forecast true Westerlie at Whitesheet means, the following info will be helpful.

The far end of our SW bowl faces just very slightly South of a true Westerlie, whilst the far end of our NW slope faces very slightly North of a true westerly. An F3f course can be set up in both these locations. With luck, in the coming days the wind will decide to go either one side or the other of a true West, a Westerlie will be OK for us.

The forecast WNW for Sunday will be excellent for us

Stu.

Phil.Taylor

Anyone else staying in or around Mere on Sat night? - for sharing a taxi up to the pub/social evening

Phil.

Gromit

Hi Guys ,

Here is the up to date pilots list for this weekends English Open F3F Comp at Whitesheet, sponsored by Sloperacer & South Coast Sailplanes.

1     Dave Rumble.            

2     Ian Falconer.

3     Tony Livingstone.

4     Graeme Mahoney.

5     Roger Hilman.

6     John Treble.

7     Keith Wood.

8     Phil Taylor.

9     Tom Macpherson.

10    Martin Drewett.

11    Mathew How.

12    Mike Shellim.

13    Stuart Wallace.

14    Joe Cubbitt.

15    Jack Cubbitt.

16    Scott Ravenscroft.

17    Mark Treble.

18    Andy Burgoyne.

19   Mike Evans.

20    Ian Mason.

21    Neil Rogers,

22.   Paul Stubley.

23   Mark Abbotts.

24   Mick Walsh.

25   Martin Burr.

note ;- The above list is not the flying order.

Sadly 3 pilots from the original entry list have had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances.

Tom Macpherson has this week confirmed to me that he will be able to enter.  Tom's name has been on my entry list since the second week of registration for the comp back in June, he was however very doubtfull he could make it. He has since confirmed.

We have 20 attending the social & meal on the Saturday evening.

There will be a raffle during the evening with goods generously donated by Steve Webb models / Servo shop,  Graham Buckingham of Bucks Composites ( formerly Fibretech),  and Neil of Spire Models of Salisbury.

Note;- If any pilots wish to donate any goods to the raffle, please bring these items along, they will be most welcome.

I am delighted to announce that both Tony Fu of Sloperacer & Peter of South Coast Sailplanes will be attending on Sunday to present the Trophies.

Tony will of course also be presenting that gorgeous Schwing to the winner.

Stu.

simon_t

Good luck to you all. I can't make it as there is some small competition out in Slovakia, but hopefully you will have fair winds and weather.

Well done Stuart for making it happen, and lining up some great prizes.

Simon

• Like 3

abbof3f

Good luck to you all. I can't make it as there is some small competition out in Slovakia, but hopefully you will have fair winds and weather.

Simon

Good luck guys ,make em av it!

:D  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

Gromit

Simon

Thankyou Simon.

Wishing you a very succesfull comp too.

Stu

• Like 1

Jack Numan Cubitt

i better start charging things up i guess?

Gromit

Hi Guys

See you on the Whitesheet slopes shortly  :thumbsup:

Stu

Andy_B

i better start charging things up i guess?

Nahhh stay in bed Jack

• Like 1

Scott Ravenscroft

Sorry I couldn't Make it!!, see you lot at the welsh........

rumbey

Wondered where you got to Scotty?

Anyway it was a tough day for all as usually we have to rely on thermal activity to get reasonable times here at Whitesheet, however thermal activity wasn't really playing ball today.

Although we got in plenty of rounds getting a sub 50  time was tough for all, although Mike Evans was the one pilot who managed to get respectable times throughout followed by Martin Drewett later on in the day whos large open turns paid dividends.

I think Mike is clearly winning at the moment but its very close after that.  Should be an interesting day tomorrow as its forecast to be alot warmer?

Gromit

HI Guys.

Here is a brief summary of day 1 of the English Open at Whitesheet.

We had 21 pilots for day 1 of the comp. We were greeted by a WSW and a forecast for the wind to swing to a WNW around mid day. This proved to be correct, we completed 4 rounds on the WSW before the forecast swing occurred 5 pilots into round round 5. It was clear to me at this point that conditions were quickly becoming difficult. I made the decision at this point that the time had come for us to move to whitesheets WNW slope. The move was made as quickly as possible taking us about an hour I guess to complete.

When we started flying again it was obvious that the move was the correct decision.

We completed 5 more rounds making 9 in total for the day.

Each round was very closely contested indeed. Pilots times were very close throughout each round. At the end of day 1 most pilots thought Mike evans was probably just about in 1st place, nobody though could agree on who might be placed where throughout almost the entire field, the times really were that close.

Here then are the placings at the end of day 1;-

1    MIKE EVANS

2    MARTIN DREWETT

3    MARK TREBLE

4    GRAEME MAHONEY

5    DAVE RUMBEY

6    STUART WALLACE

7    TONY LIVINGSTONE

8    MIKE SHELLIM

9    JON TREBLE

10  ANDY BURGOYNE

11  MATHEW HOW

12  MARK ABBOTTS

13  PHIL TAYLOR

14  MICK WALSH

15  PAUL STUBLEY

16  JOE CUBBITT

17  IAN FALCONER

18  TOM MACPHERSON

19  ROGER HILMAN

20  NEIL ROGERS

21  JACK CUBBITT

The scores throughout the field are very close indeed. I'm expecting  all the above positions to change many times throughout today.

We have a very good forecast for the day and are expecting a full days racing without any interuptions.

I'm really Looking forward to seeing how the day unfolds.

Stu

• Like 1

Andy_B

2 1/2 hrs to get back from White Sh....eet   must be a record  perfect end to a really great weekend ......cheers Stu and the WS club and all who attended ...................and a nasty Midland lockout on FTD's ..... :thumbsup:

Andy_B

Well as Mr gromit is still exhausted from his weekend of dominance ..the order at the end of the weekend as I remember ....im sure someone will shout if ive got it wrong .......

I was first .............oppps    sorry

1.Mike Evans

2.mark Treble

3.Tony Livingston

4th 5th Dave Rumbold Graeme Mahoney   (not sure who was where)

6th Martin Drewett

7th Stuart Wallace

8th Me

FTD Saturday   Mike E   42.xx

FTD Sunday     Andy B   44.xx

Im sure Stuart will supply all the details later

Andy.

Martin_N

Thanks Andy,

Was waiting to see the results :)

Well done for bring this altogether, its never easy and takes a lot of organisation by the organizers and club.

Well done to the top 3 and especially to Mike on the win.

Thanks

Martin

Gromit

Hi Guys.

Before I post the results of the English Open at Whitesheet 2014, sponsored by Tony Fu of Sloperacer, and Peter of South Coast Sailplanes, I have a number of people that I wish to publicly thank for making the event the success that it was.

Before I thank thank the sponsors, I wish to thank two people for their help in actually running the event over the weekend. It was the help of these two persons that made the comp run very smoothly indeed throughout. Firstly, I wish to thank Mark Treble for volunteering to be' buzzer supremo'. Mark did a fantastic job, not once was there any delay in the rotation of pilots on the bases, Mark ensured that pilots had plenty of time after there stint on the bases to prepare for their own flight. I'm annoyed with myself this morning for not thanking Mark during the awards ceremony at the end of the comp. Mark did such a good job as 'buzzer supremo' that not once did I ever have to think about his duties, because of this though, the excellent work he did somehow slipped my mind. Sincere apologies to you Mark, you did a truly excellent job.

The second person I wish to thank is Andy Burgoyne. Andy helped me CD the comp throughout the weekend ensuring that all ran smoothly. Very many thanks Andy, fantastic job, the event would not have run so smoothly without your excellent help.

My thanks now go to Tony Livingstone, Tony has helped me with a number of final 'material' preparations in recent weeks. Thankyou Tony, your help has been much appreciated. Tony also arrived early each morning to help me carry and set up the course.

Thanks too to Graeme Mahoney for arriving early each day of the comp to help carry & set up the course. Thankyou Graeme.

I now wish to personally, and on behalf of the Whitesheet RFC Committee, thank the Sponsors to the event, Sloperacer & South Coast Sailplanes. Tony & Peter have been outstanding sponsors ,their sponsorship has ensured that the English Open has returned to the UK F3F calendar with very sound footings indeed. Both Tony and Peter have been an absolute Joy to work with.

Tony & Peter between them shared the cost of the three high quality & stunning trophies that we on the Whitesheet Committee chose for the event. Their sponsorship is engraved on each of the trophies. The trophies are to be kept by there respective winners for the period of 1 yr, ie between each annual  English Open. The names of both Sloperacer & South Coast Sailplanes shall therefore always be linked directly as being the sponsors of the English Open.

Both myself and the Whitesheet Committee were delighted that Tony and Peter both attended the event on sunday afternoon. They both spent the afternoon watching the afternoons rounds & chatting with all the pilots. They then presented the trophies at the awards ceremony. Thankyou both for doing so, your presence made the event all the more memorable.

Note;- this has been a long post, please give me a few minuits break before I post the results. i'l do so very shortly

thanks

Stu

Andy_B

OI its been nearly an hour now ......

Martin_N

Come on Andy, it's a drum roll :)

Gromit

Apologies for the delay in posting the results. We've been staying at Lynda & Joe's ( Whitesheet chairman & vice chairman) over all the weekend. When Gill, Samuel & I finally got back to their place last night we were greeted by Joe at the door, popping open a bottle of champagne to celebrate the very succesfull return of the English Open. Lynda had also prepared a celebratory meal. A very late night followed.

This morning I've had many things to do including  packing up all the gear and getting ready to drive back home.

,Results will appear in a few minuits.

Stu.

isoaritfirst

Any way what ever the results ....

- I can say that I have a superb trophy - pictures along later  :P I'm sure.

I also have a very nice red white and blue very patriotic (may have to rub out the blue bits shortly) Shwing. 

Really looking forward to getting it on the slopes - looks like a great fun model, and if my experiences with James's models is anything to go by, then this will - go by - very quickly...

Great weekend, tricky and frustrating at times but as always a great place to be. 

Sun shone, and wind blew. 

Views across the quintessential English countryside during harvest time are so appropriate.

Welcome back to the "English Open" 

great job all, 

Nice to meet up with Tony and Peter and many thanks for your support.

Mike

• Like 1