Dennis Hames

timboiow

Fellow Soarers,

It is my sad duty to report the passing of Dennis Hames who left us on 17th December 2013 following a short illness. Den was a compaigner of Chris Foss Hi-phases in the days of BARCS Open and the southern leagues, although health problems that had afflicted both Den and his late wife had prevented competition attendance more recently.

Den was a true craftsman and those who saw his Chris Foss Hi-Phases will testify to the craftmanship that went into them (scarf joints that were only visible because of the wood grain changes and the perfect application of the transparent red solarfilm). He was a true gentlemen at the field always willing to help and even tow (providing there was a whiff of breeze, else he'd leave us younger fools to try and hurtle down the field desparately trying to get a 12 footer aloft) and could always be replied upon for a calm and considered view on a problem, and a well thought out solution.

I am grateful to have known and flown with Dennis and feel the soaring community is the poorer for his passing RIP

Shame I never met him, I also love the Hi-Phase design.

Sounds like he was one of those modellers with the magic touch.

Dennis was my dad's name as well, gone 25 years now.

Blue skies.

Gary

CopyofIMG_4934_zpsab10c28b.jpg