Why don't more people compete in F3K events in the UK?

mikef

Maria Freeman

There is an outside chance of me making the one after that Maria, but I still haven't started the notos.

Hurry up then …….. :-)

• 1 month later...

Just got my first DLG this year along with two other mates, we live and fly on the Isle of Wight so have been slope soaring for years,but we now fly our Libelles on very quite days up on the Downs, I don't think that I would ever want to compete, these these DLGs are great fun just to fly.

• 1 year later...

Glad to be part of Peterborough Club where i got my forst DLG and got lessons from the best teacher.

Still have a lot to learn about thermals , finding them and using them. Sadly the weather doesn't allow flying several times a week.

Out of interest, what puts you off competing?

Initially event locations and the rapidly increasing cost of travel (a few years back) stopped me from competing .

There are almost too many non-F-class 'local' electric / winch comps in the South East, where I live, so it makes sense to support them.

It is far more attractive for me to go to these, than to travel for two or three hours more, and spend an extra fiver on entry fees.

A local series of unofficial DLG comps would not necessarily get my support now either though. I would be less inclined to support DLG events now, as I have invested considerable effort into my other gliders, with which I am now becoming competitive. As I have not been flying F3K for 6 years, my old DLGs are probably competitively useless now, and I cannot justify paying more than double the price of a competitive 2m electric model (£300) for a good 1.5m DLG.

Jef

Richard Swindells

A local series of unofficial DLG comps would not necessarily get my support now either though. I would be less inclined to support DLG events now, as I have invested considerable effort into my other gliders, with which I am now becoming competitive. As I have not been flying F3K for 6 years, my old DLGs are probably competitively useless now, and I cannot justify paying more than double the price of a competitive 2m electric model (£300) for a good 1.5m DLG.

Jef

If smaller local competitions are your thing, then you definitely don't need the latest and greatest DLG. I am sure you could win them with your old highlight DLG's. 

If you do fancy national F3K events, then the main UK eurotour is just down the road from you too.. Again top 3 places went to very affordable models or homebuilds (tatty BONUS, Helios2 and Tantulus)

After damaging my primary model after 3 rounds, I managed to win this years Eurotour using a very battered and bruised 3 year old model, which people had passed up on when it was for sale for £200!

You will also see that I am importing the Stream NXT for around £450 for UK pilots.. which once you include the extra chargers/batteries/motors/speed-controllers/height-limiters necessary for electric model competition, having the best F3K/DLG model available for the same price seems a bargain.

---------------------------

I would like to see the return of the "warm up and coaching" days. Something like 10 rounds all-up-last down, with "experts" launching 30 seconds before "sportsman" and experts calling when they hit positive air. then 15 minutes of land and re-launch as close to a 1min buzzer as possible (the idea being to teach newcommers to maximize their time in the air, regardless of if they are hitting maxes or not) expert pilots do not fly this.. they just offer help and advice 

then 30 mins break - repeat x4 

All-day ban on flights longer than 3:30 (they teach you nothing)

Edited by Richard Swindells
  • Like 1