Polish Spring Cup 2014

simon_t

Registration has just opened for the Polish Spring Cup F3F. A great contest, with interesting slopes and very friendly organisers and competitors. Cheap flights from UK on Wizzair, excellent but cheap hotels in the area:

http://www.f3f-klif.pl/2014/03/puchar-wiosny-f3f-2014-eurotour-spring-cup-f3f-2014-world-cup-mechelinki-poland/

Last years comp:

http://www.f3f-klif.pl/en/2012/05/puchar-swiata-f3f/

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Late arrival last night due to delays, topped off with hotel making a mix up in the booking meant we had to share a room last night thankfully all sorted today.

Couple of flights at Mechelinki to make sure everything was ok, landing is very very turbulent on this slope and it looks like we will be flying there tomorrow. If the wind gets to strong landing in amongst the trees will get interesting.

Martin

Late arrival last night due to delays, topped off with hotel making a mix up in the booking meant we had to share a room last night thankfully all sorted today.

Couple of flights at Mechelinki to make sure everything was ok, landing is very very turbulent on this slope and it looks like we will be flying there tomorrow. If the wind gets to strong landing in amongst the trees will get interesting.

Martin

Top and Tailing with Simon is probably not the glamorous lifestyle that many of us imagine you and Simon have as British ambassadors for the sport.

Martin

• Like 3

Top and Tailing with Simon is probably not the glamorous lifestyle that many of us imagine you and Simon have as British ambassadors for the sport.

Martin

It really isn't that glamorous Martin. This is us slumming it in the hotel restaurant this evening...

(Not bad for less than £35 a night)

• Like 2

It's been an interesting day Simon has flown really well and is sitting in a good position. Me on the other hand is a completely different story and I have a lot of ground to make up.

Conditions have been very very crossed, but much the same for everyone although the air has varied at times considerably. Lots of work to do tomorrow.

Martin

• Like 1

Stefan Bertschi

Hugh the edge, nail the bases and don't cut!

Good luck on day two

Stefan (as there are no Swiss Pilots flying - UK biased)

All the best for day 2 guys :thumbsup: .

What do conditions look like for today ?  Are you on the same slope ?

Stu.

Greg Dakin

Fantastic - well done guys!

I guess Simon is flying the Shino?

Cheers,

Greg

Well I started the day ok and made up some ground, then I decided it would be a good idea to remove one of the trees from the slope with my Freestyler. Unfortunately this didn't work out so well for the Freestyler which is no more :(.

Sadly because of this and I want to preserve the WC models I decided to stop flying after round 8. Really frustrating as I had certainly started the day much better, knowing how I fly I would have still pushed the boundaries risking another model and the only way I could stop that from happening was to hold fire. Sorry guys but I think I have made the right decision.

Simon has made everything out of the air he has had today, but wind speed and crossed conditions have changed throughout every round, it would be hard to second guess is placing at the moment.

Martin

Yes flying the Shinto. Difficult conditions today. We set up at Mechelinki, but it was about 45deg off. So we drove 60km to the north coast - very beautiful, to a low slope 8-10m backed by trees, and with plenty of bushes on the face. Landings were on the sandy beach. Wind came and went a bit, typically 4-5m/s, but occasionally above 6. And it swing to the right at times, particularly later in the day. We flew four rounds. I think I only got one good round so I think I will have slipped down the order a bit, certainly Ziegler is past me, probably others. I suffered from flying after a 20 minute pause when the wind dropped below 3, and was second to fly after it crept back to just 3. Later I had bad crossed conditions and 4 m/s, about 3/4 through the round. But this was after the round started with 6-7 m/s, and my main rivals fly at the start. Great fun on the slope, although quite a few models hit the trees. Lukas commented "there are plenty of trees for everyone!" Spookily, the tree that Martin hit is immediately behind him (but in the foreground) on my second photo.

Simon

Well I started the day ok and made up some ground, then I decided it would be a good idea to remove one of the trees from the slope with my Freestyler. Unfortunately this didn't work out so well for the Freestyler which is no more :(.

Sadly because of this and I want to preserve the WC models I decided to stop flying after round 8. Really frustrating as I had certainly started the day much better, knowing how I fly I would have still pushed the boundaries risking another model and the only way I could stop that from happening was to hold fire. Sorry guys but I think I have made the right decision.

Simon has made everything out of the air he has had today, but wind speed and crossed conditions have changed throughout every round, it would be hard to second guess is placing at the moment.

Martin

Hi guys,unlucky that Martin ,yeah save your models for the Worlds and help push SImon ...well done to you both good effort!wish i was there! :angry:That slope doesn,t look easy to fly with all the foliage. Must be the safest safety line i have seen lol!Please get some video of the top guys flying that ....looks interesting

Yep second picture shows the small tree furthers out, from the middle you can't see it because the tree trunk just in the bottom corner blocks it nicely :(

Thanks Mark real pain and don't like giving up but I know I will still want to fly as close to the Edge as possible.

Tough luck Martin - guess it goes with the territory so could happen to anyone anytime. Sounds like a challenging comp but you both looked really well placed yesterday. Good luck for last few rounds.

• Like 1

Well done so far Simon and hard luck Martin but I think you made the correct decision to stop flying

Lukas seems pretty much unstoppable?