Sign in to follow this  
Martin_N

BMFA F3F League 1 6th April (Hole Of Horcum)

Pete Burgess

Looking back over the last 2 years I think that Martin and co have, by-'n-large, got the weather calls spot on.

Of course, on the few occasions when they get it wrong, someone is going to be upset but that's life!

My wallet would rather that a comp is called off than travel 200+ miles and then not be able to fly due to weather. So I don't mind erring on the side of caution.

• Like 3

Rocket Ronnie

In NO WAY was my post meant as a criticism of Martin or how the league has been run.

Martin IS DOING A FANTASTIC JOB.

It was made to do exactly what it has done and start a debate on the subject of the weather call.

While no one wants to stand in an car park or on a hill waiting for the rain, low cloud, snow, to ease or stop. Just to be told we will cancel at lunch time.

I do really think that we should and need to be cautious about the call. Look at how many times races have been called off, and the forcasters have got it wrong. And a race could have gone ahead, I am not just talking about the summer league.

What I am saying is if there is a chance that a race could be held ( even if it meant some stoppages for bad weather) it should be called on.

I could go on but hey

Ronnie

Martin_N

In NO WAY was my post meant as a criticism of Martin or how the league has been run.

Martin IS DOING A FANTASTIC JOB.

It was made to do exactly what it has done and start a debate on the subject of the weather call.

While no one wants to stand in an car park or on a hill waiting for the rain, low cloud, snow, to ease or stop. Just to be told we will cancel at lunch time.

I do really think that we should and need to be cautious about the call. Look at how many times races have been called off, and the forcasters have got it wrong. And a race could have gone ahead, I am not just talking about the summer league.

What I am saying is if there is a chance that a race could be held ( even if it meant some stoppages for bad weather) it should be called on.

I could go on but hey

Ronnie

None taken Ronnie, it's just incredibly hard to strick a balance that pleases all, the last thing I want is people to be left disappointed.

I don't think it will be a positive move to go back to comps running with only a few pilots there is know need with the number of competition now run in the UK. If people have sensible method then let's discuss it here or start a new thread and come the GBSRA AGM in September we can vote on it discuss it further, members of the association of course :).

Martin

frankoneleg

I think we should go back to min 6 this 12 lark is going to bite us some time especially Scotland or Eastbourne when people don't want to travel I wouldn't be to impressed to travel all that way for only 11 to turn up and be told it won't count.   

as for the weather call as Martin knows I never wanted it before as I was doing the 60" but now that's stopped I for one am happy we have it for 1 day comps

Frank

• Like 2

Martin_N

Since the weather call we have not had a situation where we have only had 6 pilots attend, I can check but from memory the lowest has been 15. Do you think it's fare that a league could be won or lost due to only competing against 5 other pilots?

Maybe we should use the same scoring method as they do in the World Cup, one of the factors is based on number of pilots who attend a comp. therefore 6 pilots would mean very few points and not killing everyone else's season.

Martin_N

Just to add, basically the minimum of only 6 pilots has bit many in the past, 12 + weather call hasn't once yet in over 2 seasons.

Allen_The_Soarer

Thanks for the spread sheet Martin, good to see I made it to 10th in round 9 and I can see the rounds where I turned late, had a BAD start and was not in the compression zone 

A really education days flying, thanks to all