Scottish Summer League 2014

Peter G

We got our summer league off to a start today at a new slope to us for racing at Fairlie on the west coast, I thought I would share the report of the day.

After quite a showery start and a challenging 30 minute walk to the top of Kaim hill at Fairlie, 8 pilots were greeted by an excellent slope and great wind conditions with it blowing about 18ms straight on the slope.

We got going about 11.40 and it was immediately apparent that the slope has excellent F3F potential with George starting us off with a 36 and a 34 and Peter winning the round with a 33.21. Landing was not too bad but quite a walk back from the edge to avoid the rotor. That seemed to be the best of the conditions as things got a little more variable after the first two rounds. Peter scored a pair of 35’s in rounds 3 and 4, Sam got his first sub-40 with a 38.16 and Dave Watson got a pair of 37’s to finish the round.

We then had a break for rain and lunch and when we got back to it the wind had picked up a bit now 22 – 25ms. George scored a 38.51 to start round 5, David Reid had to miss a couple of rounds due to minor damage on both models. Peter tried flying a bit further out not to great effect with a 36 and 37 but Mike nailed it close in with his Stinger with a 35 and a 34, fastest in the round to that point. Craig missed a couple of rounds and Dave Watson flew FTD with his Stinger at 32.83s, unfortunately his flap caught a wiper and stuck down when crowing through and he had to abort, thankfully he landed well with no damage.

George started round 7 with his Extreme after light wing tip damage to his Pike Precision and it wasn’t as quick with a pair of 41’s, David Reid was up next with his repaired Crossover and scored a 38 and a 36. Peter flew 34 and 33 and Sam got another PB with a 37.67, Mike flew a 32.60 which was really honking along and a 34 but it was clear when Mike was flying the wind had picked up again. Peter came back to the centre after landing and the wind was up at 27 – 30ms continuous with gusts up to 32ms so the round was stopped at this point. If anything the wind conditions picked up after that so rounds 7 and 8 for those who flew were lost.

The results were:

1          Peter Gunning               4901.59            1000.00

2          Mike McCracken           4781.38            975.47

3          David Watson                4522.82            922.72

4          George Young               4480.97            914.18

5          Sam Smith                    4063.37            828.99

6          Robert Carson               3931.00            801.98

7          David Reid                    3439.28            701.66

8          Craig Maxwell                2805.67            572.39

FTD Dave Watson 32.83

All in all, a good day out and the hill was excellent, a Bishop rival for some, I’m not sure but it’s not far off. Four of us stopped at Nardini’s café in Largs on the way back for some spectacular ice cream sundae’s (at spectacular prices £7 plus) to top off a great day and fuel up for the drive home.

• Like 1

Well done all. A great report and an interesting site. The views must be stunning from there.

Looks like some PBs, so if you want them recorded please put a statement of pilot's name, time, model and competition on the PB thread, and I will add to the spreadsheet.

Simon

• 1 month later...

League 2 ran as scheduled on Saturday and there was a new winnner on the hill :thumbsup: 

When we turned up this morning there appeared to be no breeze at all at the cars which wasn’t a good sign.

However, when we got up the hill there was a breeze but not much and by the time the course was set up it had dropped so much the anemometer wasn’t moving at all.

After about half an hour it had picked up to around 4.5ms and we made a start in bright conditions but with cloud cover. Robert Carson took round one with his Fosa and a 58.35 followed by George on 60.98 and Mike on 63.47. Peter took round two with a 55.13 flying the FS3 followed by Ewan on 59.69 with his Cyril.

George won round 3 with a 56.73 and this was the start of a fantastic string of times around the mid 50’s pulling some really nice lines with the Pike Precision and importantly not cutting! Mike took round 4 with a 53.05 and the wind was gradually picking up so some people were running more ballast, sometimes too much when you got poor air. Round 5 was won by George again with a 56.38 and this was a punisher as the next best time was a 62.98 from Mike. At this stage George was in the lead by 94 points from Mike with Peter 82 points back again with work to do, Robert was sitting 4th. Round 6 saw George take another 8 seconds out of the field with a 52.12 followed by Mike, Ewan and Peter all on 60’s leaving George some 200 points clear.

Peter took round 7 with his FS4 running too heavy, his 55.75 didn’t look or feel pretty with Mike on a 56 and George on a 57. Dave Watson went sub 60 in rounds 7 and 8 flying his stinger again I think after a spell with Cyril. Mike took round 8 with a 56.79 and slipped into second some 279 points behind George and one ahead of Pete. Mr Young took round 8 with a stunning 48.87 and FTD taking another 6 seconds out of the field to boot and was only pipped by a few tenths in round 10 by Mike on 52.12 followed by Robert on 53.07 and Dave W on 53.75.

George appeared to be streaking into the distance but had a couple of bad rounds in 11 and 12 which gave the rest of the field some hope. Peter cut on a very fast run and ended up still taking the round with a 50.49 and Ewan took round 12 with a 57.28 from Mike on 57 and Peter on 58. Peter took round 13 with a 53.95 taking 5 seconds out of George on 59.03 and sneaking into the lead by 19 points. Dave Watson took round 14 with a 54.63 and George flew a 61.12 taking 3 seconds out of Peter to claim his first victory by about 29 points.

So big congratulations to George who flew fantastically all day with an efficient EM style and keeping the speed on through the turns.  

1          George Young               12300.34

2          Peter Gunning               12271.59

3          Mike McCracken           12103.82

4          Dave Watson                11608.72

5          Ewan Maxwell                11135.96

6          Robert Carson               11078.33

7          David Loomes               9798.21

8          Ian Stewart                    9555.23

9          Alistair Sutherland          4016.02

FTD George Young 48.87.

• Like 4

Brilliant result George - comp winner and FTD! I could see watching you yesterday at HoH that you were flying very smoothly and a good line.

Simon

George Young

Thanks Simon. Well chuffed!

I just need to get the course length right when the pressure is on. Not too long and, much worse, not too short!

G (still grinning)

• Like 1

Stefan Bertschi

Well done George, congratulations and keep the grinning.

Great news that you feel comfortable with the Pike (as it didn't look like this in Eastbourne - but on the other hand, who am I to say something about feeling comfortable in Eastbourne :unsure: )

Cheers

Stefan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We got a decent comp in on Saturday with 18 rounds on East Lomond for League 4. It was pretty crossed from the right (west) initially but I didn’t want to use a bishop token so close to our nationals (slightly reluctant farmer) so we stuck it out on East Lomond. Wind was about 9ms initially but picked up and squared up as the day progressed ending at 17ms.

Mike and his Precision were going really well with a couple of sub-40’s when I was nowhere near it. To be honest I thought Mike had taken the win and was quite surprised so see me on top. Pretty close racing though and it wasn’t easy with the crossed conditions. Flying sub-40’s on East Lomond is always a challenge and Mike flew a couple today so well done. Ewan had a good day too with the Cyril and was not too far behind Mike.

Results were:

1          Peter Gunning               15613.96          1000.00

2          Mike McCracken           15289.82          979.24

3          Ewan Maxwell                14995.68          960.40

4          Sam Smith                    13971.89          894.83

5          Robert Carson               13851.39          887.11

6          Ian Stewart                    12828.49          821.60

FTD Peter Gunning 38.80

Next Comp is The Scottish Nationals on 30th & 31st August. 60” foamies on the Saturday and F3F on the Sunday. I hope we get a decent turn out - all welcome.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one guys, I think thats where Frank & Abbo stayed last time. We went for a curry in Leslie, the flourescent nan breads are not to be missed ;)

Rocket Ronnie

Hi Peter

Yep all booked. Weather call. Can we have a call on the Thursday evening, it's the last chance to cancel the digs.

Can't wait looking forwards to it. Hope we are doing a curry or something on the Saturday night. Keith doesn't do curry though.