Dick Edmonds "Calculus"

sailor34

Hi Everybody,

I am a brand new member from Bournemouth. I have recently acquired an old kit which was discovered in somebodys loft. I have learned that it is a 4 meter Calculus by Dick Edmonds. I gather the company has long ceased trading which leaves me with a problem as I have no plan, building instructions and the kit is missing the rudder and tailplane and possibly the flaps and ailerons. 

Can anybody help a photo or better still a plan?

Hi Everybody,

I am a brand new member from Bournemouth. I have recently acquired an old kit which was discovered in somebodys loft. I have learned that it is a 4 meter Calculus by Dick Edmonds. I gather the company has long ceased trading which leaves me with a problem as I have no plan, building instructions and the kit is missing the rudder and tailplane and possibly the flaps and ailerons. 

Can anybody help a photo or better still a plan?

I've got a plan and and instructions for the Calculus. I used to have photos of mine, but I can't find them immediately - probably gone the way of all good photos. I remember a spectacular picture of it flying off Yr Eifl. And winning a hat for coming 13th in the Pennine Cross Country in 19??

Anyway, you're welcome to have the plan. PM me your details.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I finished it some time ago but have kept it in the corner of the hanger whilst being distracted by other projects.  About a month ago however I did take it to the flat field site to let our resident Club Guru (Trevor Hewson) test it out. It climbed fine to around 100 meters with the motor I fitted and the glide performance seemed surprisingly good but as it weighs in at around 3.5 Kg I haven't had the courage to maiden it myself yet. 

Incidentally I was contacted by a modeller from Eastern Europe who found my original enquiry on the interweb and who was in a similar position in that he had the kit, although in his case he knew what it was, but was missing the build instructions. I was able to photograph what you sent me and to ping them over to him. The answer to a maidens prayer and so on. 

Picture?    How about this one from QFI Dec/Jan 1993. Dick Edmonds and myself with 'Calculi'

Picture shows an early F3J Eurotour at Amay, Belgium, the type of event for which the model was designed. Back in those days there was no carbon moulded models and winches were not  allowed for F3J so towing was done with one person only and was much slower than now.  Later when two man pulley towing became the norm the model was just too slow, too big, heavy and not strong enough to be competitive.  Never heard of one with an electric motor up front. That's certainly not on the original plans!002.thumb.jpg.b9a8e27d80130e0c9a393b5a7320a941.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Herewith a pic. Happy to meet up sometime and to buy you a pint or two. Where would you like to meet perhaps a flight first.

P1010650.JPG

• Like 2