Sign in to follow this  
Martin_N

BMFA F3F League 2 27th April (WhiteSheet)

Martin_N

Hi All,

Hopefully we can get the season started at Whitesheet, entry is now open for BMFA League 2 to run on Sunday 27th April and will close on Wednesday 23rd April at 10pm. Details of all the events and how to register can be found at the following locations:

http://www.gbsra.co.uk/bmfa-league
http://www.bmfa.org/ContestsEvents/ContestandEventCalendar/tabid/309/Default.aspx
'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I will also start a new thread on BARCS in the contest section for Whitesheet.

Please forward the following required details to martinnewnham@btinternet.com please try to respond to me directly and not the whole group.

• Pilot Name
  • BMFA or equivalent Insurance details
  • Frequency
  • Gliders

Note: If insurance cannot be verified then an additional £5 will be charged which will provide 30 days BMFA insurance cover for the pilot.

Entry to BMFA run contests will be £10 for 1 day contests.

As per previous years a weather call will be made on Friday evening before the contest confirming whether the contest will run or not.  This will be published through F3F Yahoo groups email and on BARCS website. Included in the mail will be the meet time and location.

The various clubs used to run F3F contests can be found at www.gbsra.co.uk

Conditions permitting I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday 27th April.

Thanks

Martin

Martin_N

Hi All,

Just a reminder if you want to register for this Sundays BMFA League 2 you need to get your registration to me ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: If Whitesheet cannot provide the wind direction for Sunday, I have managed to secure Eastbourne should we need to. This is only because of limited wind direction options at Whitesheet. If the wind is in the right direction for Whitesheet but raining it will be called off.

Thanks

Martin

Martin_N

Hi All,

Registration is now closed. Will send out weather call, location and meet time on Friday evening.

Thanks

Martin

Martin_N

Hi All,

To confirm Sunday's BMFA F3F league event is ON. Due to wind direction we will move the contest to Eastbourne.

Meet time will be 8:30 -9am at the following location: Eastbourne B2103 postcode BN20. As you drive out of Eastbourne on the B2103 there is a sharp right hand turn as you rise up by a cafe. Park in this area, once everyone has arrived its a 10 minute walk to slope.

See you all Sunday

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

Rocket Ronnie

Good luck to all hope you get a good comp in.

Ronnie

• Like 1

Gromit

A trip to the seaside for us then :) .

Stu.

Pete Burgess

Look forward to seeing you Stu :)

• Like 1

Gromit

Look forward to seeing you Stu :)

Likewise :thumbsup:

Stu.

Martin_N

2014 BMFA F3F league got off to a start today although we had to use the backup site for Whitesheet, Eastbourne, which has a number of southerly and Southeasterly coastal slopes.

The weather held with only one small interruption due to rain for around 5 – 10 minutes.  Overall the day was a mixture of cloud or bright sunshine. We could all see plenty of showers out in the English Channel threatening to head our way, fortunately they never did. The wind direction started from the right and slowly swung through the day until it finished coming in from the left, with wind speed ranging from 7-9 m/s at the start of the day and dropping down to 4-6m/s at the end of the day.

14 pilots took part today in what was a really enjoyable days flying in pretty consistent conditions. Simon, Mark and Martin were pretty close throughout the day and only the last 2 to 3 rounds making a real difference in the overall results.

John Phillips flying his new Crossover was very impressive hitting the lines (not the edge) flying very accurately on the bases.  Jon fox and Matthew How are also getting more from there Needle 124’s trying new ideas and pumping to get energy in the models. Graeme Mahoney also showing he had been practicing his pumps and using them effectively.

Overall the consistent conditions would have helped all the pilots to learn a little more about their own flying and the model setups.

The final result after 10 rounds was as follows:

1)      Simon Thornton               1000      Shinto

2)      Mark Redsell                    995.35   Freestyler 4.3

3)      Martin Newnham              969.47   Freestyler 4.3

Fastest time of the day: Simon Thornton 43.28

Full results at the bottom.

Big thanks to ESSA for opening up there slopes for us to use, John Phiilips who CD’d on the day, Mark Treble our buzzer supreme, our spectators who also did a majority of the buzzing and everyone who helped setup the course and take it down at the end of the day, a real team effort.

I will upload the spreadsheet with all the times to the www.gbsra.co.uk website in the next 24hours for all you people that like to analysis every single round and workout where it went wrong or hopefully right.

Thanks again for making it worthwhile today.

Martin

• Like 2

Allen_The_Soarer

Yay I won (in the Peter Vs Allen comp) 

:P

• Like 2

mark_r

Much closer than I thought, having taken 2 or 3 rounds to find the line. One of the most enjoyable comps for a long time - a few more like that would be great. Excellent edge, good conditions, good company - perfect!

• Like 2

Gromit

Well, it was a 'Grand day out' at Eastbourne ystdy , Many thanks to Martin & John for their efforts in making the day happen, & running a very succesfull and enjoyable comp. Thanks too to Mark for being buzzer supremo, and to all for attending the comp, It was good to see you all again and catch up on everything.

Thankyou for your above report Martin.

The switch of venue from my own club site of Whitesheet to Eastbourne was the right call to make due to the wind direction, sadly Whitesheet doesn't cater for anything East of South.

My preperations for ystdy's comp began with me fighting my way through all the cobwebs in my workshop and 'dusting off' my models :huh: . Frustratingly 2014 hasn't so far been good healthwise for me, slope time has been very limited indeed. A trip to the seaside for ysdy's comp was just what i needed to kickstart me back onto the slopes.

As for the comp itself, not having flown much at all for many months and flying on new cliff slope for me, i was looking for a nice mid order flying list position, i was therefore delighted to be told i was first up :o , thanks Martin, lol

My model of choice for the day was my Willow. My first round was steady & sure and was i think my slowest. It steadied my nerves though and the flight ended with a grin of satisfaction, It felt so good to get back flying after a such a long lay off.

After watching everyone else's flights / lines, in rd 2 i think i knocked 4 or 5 seconds off my first round time. In all of my subsequent rounds my times were all very consistent. At the end of the comp i was happy with how i'd flown.

I witnessed some very impressive flying during the day, and learn't more about this 'F3f racing Mullarky'.

Thanks to all of you that attended for such an enjoyable day. Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Stu.

• Like 2

simon_t

Good reports Martin & Stuart. Amazingly lucky with the weather. We spent most of the day watching heavy showers a few miles out to sea, that just kept going past us. Would have been nice if we had a bit more wind, but the cliff slope was flying pretty well, but with a narrow lift band. I think everyone enjoyed themselves, and it was good to see people increasing in confidence through the rounds.

Big thanks to the ESSA boys for the site, and especially John Phillips, Allen Elliot, Gary Harrison, Jim Taylor, Tom Noble, and to Martin Newnham for working so hard to bring us the league event, as well as CDing with JP. Thanks also to Mark Treble for doing 'buzzer supremo'.

Was my first outing with the Shinto. It was a real pleasure to fly, and has a good turn of speed to go with the handling. Together with my Freestylers, I feel I have a great F3F hangar at the moment.

Simon

• Like 1

Martin_N

As promised I have uploaded the spreadsheet from Sunday to the gbsra website on a new page called slope leagues. Just click to download.

http://www.gbsra.co.uk/slope-leagues

I have also added the champ of champs spread sheet and individual leagues. If you think there is an easier way to present for download please let me know. I have also moved a few things around.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

Peter G

Looks ace, I hope we get to go coastal at the Eurotour.

I would also like to volunteer Scotland's slopes for next years travelling Whitesheet event ;)

Martin_N

Looks ace, I hope we get to go coastal at the Eurotour.

I would also like to volunteer Scotland's slopes for next years travelling Whitesheet event ;)

So pilots in the south lose out :(

Martin_N

Nice pictures Stuart, shows what great flying site we had to enjoy on Sunday.

Peter G

So pilots in the south lose out :(

All would be welcome to come?

Martin_N

All would be welcome to come?

:) I'm sure we would.