The new Willow, Willow 2 by Ian Mason.

Gromit

I was very interested to read that Ian Mason has for some time been developing a new version of the Willow, the Willow 2. I had no knowledge that Ian had this under development. Ian has certainly been a very busy man, having only a few months ago released the Merlin onto the market.

I'd really like to hear all about the development of the Willow 2, its differences to the existing Willow, and of course the Merlin. 

I personally have seen the Willow prove itself to be a popular sports model, and a competitive comp winning model in our own F3f comps at Whitesheet.

I've had my Willow for over a yr now and flown it a great deal both as a sports model and in several F3f comps. A couple of days ago it was my model of choice for the BMFA F3f comp at Eastbourne.

Looking forward to hearing all about the development and info about the Willow 2 please Ian :thumbsup:

Stu.

• Like 1

The Willow 2 is a completely new design  from both the Willow 1 and the Merlin- but After making these models I have learned from them.

The Wing and tails are a complete CAD design (UK work) with the section from Dirk Pflug (and a chunk of help on the plan form).  The molds have been milled out of solid Aluminium and then polished up to make them as perfect as possible.

The Fuselage work and positive were done in the UK and then shipped out.  It’s a narrower fuselage then the previous models but still that much more than a freestyler.  When I received the fuselage it reminded me of the Extreme (which I always liked).  The nose fits a square 4 cell AA pack perfectly.  The wing incidence is zero (Dirk Pflug thing) which keeps the fusega flat and she seems to sit in a groove really nicely.

The boom’s size is to help keep it strong  I’m not a fan of the really narrow booms on some models (personal taste).  We’ve got unidirectional Carbon from the leading edge of the wing to the tail that really makes it stiff and strong.  The idea is the build of a narrow boom but the added strength of a bit bigger one- me proof!

The joiner is a much chunkier lump of carbon this time.  A little acetone to clean it out and there’s be enough room for a pound of lead.  The fuselage changes have helped keep the nose weight needed down.

Andy B, Adam and Scott have seen the results of the new molding and I think they were impressed with the step forward we’ve made.

I’ve not had enough air time yet to get the set up right. The wings on my bitsa certainly seemed fast (you knew I’d say that).

• Like 5

The build quality is very good  , certainly no faults that I could see . I have seen some very expensive stuff that's not built aswell

'Cracking' work their Ian :drool: .  You've obviously committed a huge amount of both your time & effort with the development of the Willow 2.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing a Willow 2 for myself sometime soon. What stage are you at with the production now ? When do you think that the Willow 2 might be ready to market ?

Stu.

Scott Ravenscroft

I had a fondle of one the other day and yes the quality is top notch, wings very stiff, edges nice and sharp ,joiner is a vast improvement and ive been told it will make my flying look smoother!!! . looks like it would carry ballast well which suits me.

decisions decisions......................

Scott R

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the support, The wilow 2 is now effectively in production and available- probably through the usual retailers (once I've chatted to rich).  If t

he weather plays fair I'm going to have a play on Sunday with mine and the lads new foamie

Ian

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the support, The wilow 2 is now effectively in production and available- probably through the usual retailers (once I've chatted to rich).  If t

he weather plays fair I'm going to have a play on Sunday with mine and the lads new foamie

Ian

Hi Ian, Have you an expected price for the Willow 2 as yet ?

Stu.

Hi Stu

I' have to sort that part out with T9 but we have kept the costs not to far from the Willow 1 and Merlins so the price shouldn't be too far out.

Sunday's looking flyable down here now so I'll get to play with me new toy

Ian

Hi Ian,

Looking forward to seeing the Willow 2 too, and it just so happens that the 'Guildford Crew' are now down at the White Sheet for week for our usual Spring holiday!

If I’d have seen your post before II set off to maiden today then meeting you would have made more sense!

The willow 2 has a lot of setting up to do still after Co-pilot  dragged me off to the pub early today.  But I left with a huge smile on my face.  A light sunny day on Whitesheet is what summer soaring was made for but the Willow 2- Slippy and forgiving!

Thanks for the launches guys- as I wrestled to get the set up right I think we proved how well she accelerates!  Some lead out of the nose and the W2 was Thermalling away too.

I’ll write more later but a very happy first day!

• Like 2

Nice one Ian, congrats :thumbsup:, I'm liking the look of the Willow 2 :drool: .

Look forward to hearing more please.

Stu.

Adam Richardson

I'll be putting franks together this week. So ill post a few pics here if anyone is interested. What you got the C/G at Ian?

This model really is not to be compared with the original willow. We obviously need to let time tell on how well it will fly. But rest assured the one I have here is one of the best constructed / finish models I've seen. Smooth leading edges and razor sharp Trailing edges.

Adam Richardson

http://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-1781-13993054220876.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-1781-13993054427164.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-1781-13993054576809.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-1781-13993054757493.jpg

• Like 2

I'll be putting franks together this week. So ill post a few pics here if anyone is interested. What you got the C/G at Ian?

This model really is not to be compared with the original willow. We obviously need to let time tell on how well it will fly. But rest assured the one I have here is one of the best constructed / finish models I've seen. Smooth leading edges and razor sharp Trailing edges.

Hi adam

Really glad you like it-thanks

After a few flights in light air i have the CG at 105

Ian

Oh no.  Dark - coloured fuse  :angry: ..

"We're doomed Captain Mainwaring!  DOOMED ah tell ye".

Ro. .....  :)

• Like 1

This model really is not to be compared with the original willow. We obviously need to let time tell on how well it will fly. But rest assured the one I have here is one of the best constructed / finish models I've seen. Smooth leading edges and razor sharp Trailing edges. thoughts Adam :thumbsup:

I look forward to your posts, thoughts,& pics Adam. :thumbsup:

Stu.