Returning to flying model aircraft...

Tony Harrison

Tony Harrison

Impressed by BARCS, nice site, good content, and my first post received very helpful replies. As a "mature beginner" I last built a flying model decades ago, KeilKraft jobs my cousins and I were keen on, so I need all the help I can get. But this hobby has advanced so much that it's more accessible, with electric power, cheaper electronics etc.

Don't know yet if I'll be more keen on (semi-)scale aircraft, or gliders, but I want to try both; and since I always do my own thing, I want to build and customise – I built my own fishing rods, handload my own rifle ammo, make stuff... In fact my post here was seeking advice on an oldish kit I picked up, Aquarius 540 by the defunct Galaxy Models – thanks to Pete and JG for their advice.

Initially I'll get something in foam, which everyone advises, prior to building my own; the other day I visited Stan Yeo's PMP models in Newton Abbot (I'm in S.Devon) and Stan was full of helpful advice, suggested a Radian to start with, and someone else proposed the Multiplex Solius.

rgds Tony

Good stuff Tony.

I would recommend the Radian as well.

Things have moved on but cheap simple fun can still be had, not many kits around today but the Cambrian Elan 100" span two-channel glider is still available. With a bungee or a slope you can have hours of fun!

It's a way off yet but in December we have a trade fair in Leicester, many of us get together, have a chat and view/buy the latest kit (and used bargains).

Cheers

Gary 

Depends whether you have more interest in repairing or flying. Learning with a non-foam model may teach better landing skills. But I too would go for a foamy if I was learning now.

My son learnt to fly conventional format model helicopter on a flight simulator, then assembled and flew one indoors (in my rather small lounge) as if he had been flying them for years. Personally, I don't enjoy simulators but they can teach the corrective actions to avoid a lot of disorientation crashes.

• Like 2

That's the important equation when you are learning.

Are you going to be at Half in next weekend Tony.

Tony Harrison

...Are you going to be at Half in next weekend Tony.

Er, if this is addressed to me, yes, Stan Yeo told me about it and suggested I come along. Have to head off to London early afternoon but weather permitting, I'll be at Little Haldon on Sunday morning.

rgds Tony

Hi Tony,

I got back in to the hobby a couple of years back after finding a bird of time kit online and triggering a whole bunch of memories. I wound up buying a cheap little DLG (super mini topsky, 1m span, 4ch) during the building stage as I wanted something to learn on before chucking my basla behemoth off a hill and realising I'd forgotten to learn how to fly!

Long story short,I had so much fun flying the DLG, and then aided and abetted by some new hill friends got into F3F racing, that the bird of time still isn't built!

I like DLGs (discus-launched gliders) as they are very versatile (can fly from the flat or the slope), and while a semi-challenging build (there's not much room in the fuselage), they don't take long to assemble and perform really well. The Topsky 3 is an excellent glider, with a great range of flying conditions, thermalling and aerobatic ability. However, to buy from new including all radio equipment (Hitec Optic 6 is excellent value for money), you are looking at about £600...

Whatever you choose, welcome to the hobby! May the sun be always at your back and the wind forever in your face. :)

Tony Harrison

See you there.

I'm thinking it was called off owing to the strong winds and frequent showers - ? Drove around Little Haldon but didn't see any sign of model aircraft activity...

rgds Tony