BMFA F3F Nationals 2014 7th & 8th June Hole of Horcum

Martin_N

Pretty miserable first day with the rain coming earlier than expected.

Meet tomorrow not later than 8:30am

Thanks

8:30 meet on Saturday morning seemed sensible based on the weather predictions. Bibs handed out, fees taken we made the long walk to the Easterly facing slope at the Hole Of Horcum. Not exactly sure when the first flight was launched, unfortunately after 8 or 9 flights the first few drops of rain fell, couple more flights and the heavens opened for the next 6 hours. When it finally stopped raining, the mist fell leaving no chance of any flying. There was a lot of male bonding going on under various umbrellas throughout the day and in general I think everyone was wet by the end of the day.

Group scoring is never popular, we made the decision to advise it would be used if required based on the forecasts for the weekend, thankfully we only needed this for round one. Sunday was the complete opposite of Saturday, sometimes overcast but on the whole sunshine for most of the day, I’m certain there are a few suffering from sunburnt faces today.

With the sun out Sunday was a good full day of flying. The Hole Of Horcum provided its normal variability which just added to the challenge of the flying making every flight a challenge. Jon Edison and Richard Bago kept the centre running like clockwork and by the end of Sunday we had completed the rest of the group from round one and a further 9 rounds. With 30 pilots on the list they both did a great job.

Round winners as follows:

Round 1

Group Scored: Graeme Mahoney 49.92

Mark Redsell 41.17

Round 2: Peter Gunning 37.55

Round 3: Mark Redsell 36.87

Round 4: Paul Gaunett 35.21

Round 5: Mark Redsell 34.99

Round 6 Mark Abbotts 37.94

Round 7: Martin Newnham 38.90

Round 8: Mark Abbotts 36.42

Round 9: Martin Newnham 39.37

Round 10: Paul Garnett 38.80

A very satisfying contest considering that Saturday was a washout and the forecast for Sunday wasn’t exactly positive.

Congratulations to the winners of the BMFA F3F Nationals 2014:

1st Mark Redsell

2nd Paul Garnett

3rd Peter Gunning

Big thanks to T9HobbySport and MKS Servos for sponsoring this year BMFA F3F Nationals providing the latest technology in servos to the winner of the Nationals.

I have uploaded the spreadsheet to the GBSRA website for download and will upload the report to the front page. If anyone has pictures they wish to share please forward onto me.

• Like 3

Many congrats to Mark, Paul and Pete on some super flying - richly deserving winners!

Honourable mention to Graeme Mahoney too - great result sir, very well flown.

I think that this was a pretty challenging race, which rewarded those pilots that knew their planes inside out. For me, it was incredibly challenging as I foolishly interpreted a bad round as a reflection on settings and sought to re-adjust in-race. Big Mistake, especially when faced with such variable conditions - should have known better....but still managed to convince myself that there's room for reversals in F3F :-)

Thanks to Jon, Rich, Martin, Mark et al for delivering a race dripping with elation, frustration, exposure and sun-burn all in one event.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

It was great to have such a good days flying on Sunday. I think it was almost made better by sitting around in the rain all day Saturday, what a contrast!

Well done to Martin, Jon, the CD's and decision makers, I think we were right to stick it out on Saturday even though the weather proved us wrong. I had a very enjoyable day on Sunday with the Stinger, the wheels fell off in the middle but I just about managed to pull it together again in the last few rounds. I'm pretty sure the stinger gets better relative to the competition as the lift drops off.

Congratulations to Mark and Paul who didn't need a drop to be well clear in 2nd B)

isoaritfirst

Yep I agree with that Greg, total confidence lacking, ballast changing, expo altering, style twiddling, kinda day.

One thing I didn't seem to be able to change was the flight times - either 44 in crap or 41 in decent air. didn't matter if I reversed or em'd or flew with 750g or 2000g.

Although the main reason has to be my lack of flying which meant that my em's were scruffy losing speed by small errors, and my reversals being easier to do were tighter and contained fewer errors, so balancing out the times, but leaving a feeling of a lack lustre performance.

But despite that it was a good day with lots of flying - and thats what has been sadly lacking of late.

Loads of setting altered - not best done during a race - but needs must - and I think I have now manged to wind out the errors that I probably wound in at some other race were things werent going to plan. :unsure:

Thanks Jon and the team a good day out.

:)

Honourable mention to Graeme Mahoney too - great result sir, very well flown.

Many thanks for the kind words Greg. It's funny how a fantastic days flying on Sunday makes you completely forget about sitting under the sport brella in the rain all day Saturday

Congratulations to Mark, Paul & Pete a master class in EM

Martin D, Tony L... GIFCOF!

Graeme

Round 7 now corrected I will upload the new spread sheet to gbsra. The timing gear rounded up the times which I needed to confirm, they were very close but you can't have 2 round winners. It won't have any impact on the overall positions.

ditto everything above. A great day Sunday, a real pleasure to be part of it

Some fantastic flying, some great company and very well run especially given some of the tricky calls that had to be made

A special well done to Graeme and Tony who excelled themselves with top 10 finishes, my hardwork over the last few months at Whitesheet coaching them has not been wasted :D

Martin

ditto everything above. A great day Sunday, a real pleasure to be part of it

Some fantastic flying, some great company and very well run especially given some of the tricky calls that had to be made

A special well done to Graeme and Tony who excelled themselves with top 10 finishes, my hardwork over the last few months at Whitesheet coaching them has not been wasted :D

Martin

Also in the top half for you Drewster.  The west country boys are looking good!

Great day on Sunday to blow away the memories of Saturday's downpour - made for a good comp worthy of a nationals event. Graeme, Tony, Martin - keep it up, really good to see a strong core developing down your way - it really shows the benefit of a bit of friendly (?) rivalry. Likewise for Mr Garnett - superb aggressive flying all day, pretty close result!

• Like 1

Ultimately a good weekend, although it didn't feel like it on Saturday. Well done to Mark R for an almost flawless performance. Pete, Pengy and the South West folks all had a great Sunday. It is really encouraging to see a new group of flyers who are making good progress, have good models from the latest crop, and are driving themselves forward with strong but friendly rivalry.

Not sure what happened to me. Saturday's score didn't help, but although I had a few reasonable flights on Sunday, I had too many that just went too slow, and one where I had a cut. Good psychological practice for the variable conditions expected in Donavaly though!

Thanks to Martin, Jon & Rich for your hard work, and everyone else who helped make a successful event. And thanks to Martin Drewett for providing me with a wifi hotspot to check the weather radar (although the data turned out to be futile, as once the rain stopped, the hill fog came in).

I put a link up in an earlier post for some of the photos I took over the weekend (in case folks missed it).

Simon

Many thanks to Jon, Rich and helpers for their perseverence. It all worked out in the end, if one can forget the slightly damp conditions on Saturday. Personally I was glad to have the Sting up and running again, thanks to its new (ex-Blobby!) tailplane.

A bit later than planned, but here are some photos + captions of the event including the infamous 'noseless Crossover' capture, and the presentations in the car park.

http://rcsoar.zenfolio.com/f3fnats2014/slideshow

• Like 6

Pleased to see that the weather was much kinder for you all on sunday, and the nationals 2014 were a success. Congrats to all on your results. & to Martin & all others for organising & running the event  :thumbsup:

Stu

Damn good eye Mike.

I've been a pro photag for 40 years - and I'd be proud to have shot your images that capture the atmosphere of the event so effectively.

Rog.

• Like 2

Pleased to see that the weather was much kinder for you all on sunday, and the nationals 2014 were a success. Congrats to all on your results. Great to see the Whitesheet guys doing well too.

Very well done to Martin & all others for organising & running the event  :thumbsup:

Stu