satinet

Very nice! Looks beautifully moulded and the fairings into the fuse are a nice touch.

Hope it goes as well as it looks.

Very nice! Looks beautifully moulded and the fairings into the fuse are a nice touch.

Hope it goes as well as it looks.

Thanks  -  me too!

20140509_171333_zpssbim85ys.jpg

• Like 4

Very similar wing fairings to the Crossover Tom .........always good to have more material on the LE

As some may know, I generally fail to come over all hot and sweaty over another 3m V-tailed flying broomstick, but I have to confess this is seriously nice...  The fairing etc. look incredibly neat with almost invisible join lines, and that high-aspect ratio tail is really neat..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom,

I've asked on rcgroups for your comparison with the Stinger when you have had a chance to play.

There are so many sexy planes around that it's really difficult to know what may be just that little bit better, particularly for a small local group like ours. OTOH you really can't buy a bad one can you?

Jiri Tuma is good to deal with in English?

Ken

Hi Ken

No problems with Jiri Tuma. My expeirnce with him has been good.

In terms of comparision between the two models, I will be flying them off the winch, so my thoughts are based around what it's like as an f3b model. I have only flown the stinger maybe 5-10 minutes in its life off the slope.  I might try and get some slope time on the Avatar to shortcut the setup procedure, but even then comparisions are rather difficult.

Like you say you can't really go far wrong nowadays as there are so many good f3b/f models around.

Cheers

Tom

Greg Dakin

Fabulous looking plane Tom, congrats - looking forward to hearing your thoughts on performance!

Btw does the Avatar feature a Max Steidle section, like the Extasy and Shinto?

Cheers,

Greg

• 1 year later...

In a moment of weakness I nabbed a NIB F3B Avatar from the Austrian team at the Welsh Open. Quite looking forward to a stir on the sticks with one of these machines....

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

Greg

the avatar would have been my natural progression with an f3b model if I was still doing f3b. 

From what I have seen the model is leggy. More leggy then even a Cyril or radical pro in distance. Deffo carries ballast really well. 

Turns well as well. 

If I were still doing f3b I would have two off avatars on order right now. 

Jon

Thanks Jon, sounds promising! I tend to think that models which work well in F3B distance make for effective F3F weapons - they all seem to exude the same desirable characteristics; efficient at high angles of attack, carry ballast well and are pokey in the straights. From what I saw of the Avatar last weekend, it seems to have this in spades.....not sure that its as quick as a Jedi though, which is ballistic even at low wing loadings.....

Hope all's well.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

I agree Greg. 

The jedi for me didn't get great reviews in launch but then again nor does the Shinto either but both are effective models. 

Having seen tom fly his in distance I would say it has plenty of carry and retains momentum very well. Although they all can be slowed if you pull to hard or don't let it come round. 

In speed I reckon it got an easy sub 15 in the right conditions from a good launch. And launch well it does. 

Best I have seen is 310 meters. But then again I've done over 300 with my radical. 

The nice thing is. It ain't a freestyler 3.4.2.6.7.8 variant of some description !