Baudis Jedi

Peter G

Having watched the pitbulls going very well this weekend at the F3F nationals at Horcum I am really excited that I have got a Jedi on the way.

The Jedi I believe is a stretched pitbull to 3.1m with a slightly tweaked section for better distance in F3B (a tad more camber I think) and a bigger fuse and tail. The tail has a relatively big side profile so hopefully it will turn & track well. As we know Jiri Baudis is prodigious in his output of new models so I have had a look at the basic differences of some of the latest ones below and shown the Jedi against the Pitbull in plan.

Jedi pitbull comparison copy.jpg

jedi 3s.jpg

• Like 2

This is on my radar Pete.  Really impressed with the build quality of the Pitbulls.  I've been disappointed with the build quality of my current fleet since I sold my Ascot 3/4 years ago

Great choice Pete - really excited to see this machine in action. Very generous projected fin area from what I've seen. Personally tempted with the Space Lift....

Cheers,

Greg

Well, sort of Pete - it was a bit of a joke to begin with, as the Norwegian guys ordered a heavy lay-up Fosa Lift for one of their team mates, and asked Jiri to produce a Space Lift template for the insignia on the wing - I think the idea was to convince people that a new flavour of Fosa was in development ;-)

All that said, because the ballast carrying capability of the model is quite limited, this is almost certainly the correct construction to go for if flying exclusively on the slope. I'll not be buying any new toys for some time to come, but it does look to be a great choice for 3-15m/s.

Anyway, more importantly lets get back on thread and talk more about your new machine - are we talking 3-months to delivery, and is it RDS/LDS or conventional linkage?

Cheers,

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice surprise in the post today, a Jedi at my door.

Needless to say, very excited to get this one flying, it all looks very good.

Mine is the heavy / F3F version and the vital statistics are: Fuse 304g

Wing 1 698g, Wing 2 690g, tail 1 40g, tail 2 40g, joiners 146g so thats about 1920g dry without accessories.

The wings and tails are very impressively stiff and hard and I can't see it bending at the two joiners so it should be good for any conditions... The wing is a maximum of about 18.5mm thick so pretty much the same as the Stinger - very thin!

Standard ballast is 808g in the wings and 468g in the fuse, probably good for up to 15ms but at slower to 25ms it will need more. I ordered some tungsten for the wings which weighs just under 1.8kg taking the total closer to 2250g which will be enough I think.

I'm going for MKS minis on ailerons and flaps and both are RDS. As the Baudis RDS was so good in my Cyril I am happy to do RDS again. The accessories set is excellent, even the MPX greens thrown in B)

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

spacer.png

• Like 2

Beautiful looking model Pete, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh - love the double wing joiner!

Cheers,

Greg

• 1 month later...

I maidened the Jedi today and was very happy with how things went.

It was not exactly ideal with 40mph and squally drizzle on East Lomond it was bumpy and cold but with the c of g at 104.5mm and 1.2kg of ballast off it went (thanks George). A few clicks of down and all was well, differential not too far out at 18mm up 13.5mm down and very responsive on all axes. It was a bit light and about 0.75mm of reflex in speed mode helped to smooth out the lumps in the air significantly. A good turn of speed and a decent kick out of EM turns with about 5mm snap flap at full stick, the brakes were not too far out either but in such strong winds it didn't need much flap to slow it right down so it felt a bit lively on landing but OK

Second flight, took 10% out of the elevator (previously 5mm up/down now a bit less), 5 clicks out of the downward movement on differential (about 18mm up 12mm down) and with 1.7kg on board and it felt better and I started to get a feel for it. The pumping was sensational due to the wind speed but it does seem to get a real kick when the snap comes in too. Its feels very sensitive in roll compared to the FS4/stinger but thats maybe just because I have too much movement just now but it does seem to accelerate/carry speed very well through a flatish EM turn and felt like it needed more ballast so that's encouraging.

The rain looked like it was coming in worse so we called it a day but first impressions are very good indeed. The model was a doddle to build and only took 34g of lead to balance (once about 20g was packed into the nose ahead of the battery) which is testament to good design in my book. The all up weight of my F3F heavy version is 2330g so with a 63dm2 flying area the wing loading is 37g/dm2 empty. With the 6 bits of tungsten for the wing and standard fuse overall ballast is 2265g taking it up to a wing loading of 72.94g/dm2

Its an 'old school' set up with 1600mah nimh, clunky switch and simple LED battery monitor but I like the fact that when I take the nose off and switch them on, I have some visual reference as to the health of the battery. You might spot that its got wing servo's in the fuse, I didn't until after they were fitted as they were part of the set I won at the WO last year, plenty of torque anyway! A pic of the fuse below for info, Mike had his camera out today so may be along with a flying shot...

IMG_1741.JPG

• Like 1