Sign in to follow this  
pol

hello from not so sunny Glasgow

pol
hi,

ok i tell a lie it's sunny today. 

i have been flying indoor stuff for the past few years during winter as a 'something to do'. i got an elf dlg and enjoyed chucking that about when time permitted. i got some other planes and flown them but have come to a crossroads in that i feel i need to focus on one discipline more than others. so gliders it is...

i have been slope soaring a few times and have a a few planes that will allow me to build up skills on the slopes. safe to say an f3f mouldie is a while away yet! i will hopefully get out and about to a few local slopes when the conditions are a bit to windy for thermal gliding.

i want to concentrate on thermal gliding and maybe even embarrass myself in a competition when i feel brave enough. i have my elf dlg which is great for chucking about but it's a bit limited compared to a proper f3k glider. my initial thoughts are to focus on esoaring with a 2m glider and 100s with an RES glider. 

i don't have models for either of these areas and not 100% sure on the format that these competitions are flown hence why i am on here looking for advice! 

my initial thoughts are a foamie like the phoenix 2k for easoaring will get me up and running fairly quickly. it also won't cost the earth to get running or replace if i have an accident. is there something else i should look at? 

for the 100s style of glider i have been looking at the art hobby thermic glider which is a 2.5m and comes in RES format. again is there anything else i should be looking at? 

i am happy to consider used as well but there always seems to be very little about and a lot of the gliders are probably to advanced for my current skill level.

so start throwing advice my way please!

JG

Hello & Welcome  B)

I have a very nice F3J model for sale  :thumbsup:

pol

thanks.

there is no way i could afford that glider you have for sale. i would need to sell every bit of rc kit i have and then sell a kidney. someone will take it soon enough as it's some bit of kit.

Robin Sleight

Why do you not ring Andy Lewis for a chat and get some local advice.  I can not easily find his phone number but he will be in the book and he blives inh Kilsyth.

Robin

pol

Thanks guys. I had already spotted Andy looked to be the main person to speak to up here. Finally got the chance to drop him an email earlier this evening.

Will take his advice on board and get moving from there. Any thoughts on models or things to read would still be welcome.

Hi Pol, welcome to the site :)

I'm in central Scotland too, based in Falkirk. I fly with the Forth Valley Soarers on the Pentland Hills and up in Fife with the F3F guys up there. Martin Gibbs from FVS (http://www.forthvalleysoarers.org.uk/) flies some thermal and 100 comps, he's very approachable and can maybe give you a few pointers about the winch launch stuff.

IMHO, slope flying is the way to go up here; there are far more good slope days than thermal days per year, and you don't have to buy a whopping great mouldie to have a lot of fun.

My mate has been flying the super Topsky 3 DLG (1.5m) span, which we added a small ballast tube to. This now has a flying range of 3mph-20mph on the slope, and it's very tough (the skin is made of thin kevlar with a disser spread carbon tow), and is proabably the best 'single glider' option I've seen for the money.

FVS fly on sunday mornings; let me know if you fancy coming up and (provided I am on leave from my job on the rigs), I'll bring a spare Tx so we can 'buddy box' on whatever model I have brought for the day.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Sam

pol

Hi Sam, thanks for the pointers. I hope to get to a proper slope soon. The campsies are the best in Glasgow area I've heard that the pentlands were good never realised they had sites for all wind directions. Will try and get through for a fvs Sunday sometime soon. Always best to be shown the area by locals. Is there an email list the guys use so I know where and when the meet up is on?

I have 4 slopers at the moment, an orange box a speedo and 2x unknowns. One is meant to be a graupner but no idea what design. In the process of renovating it. The other one also needs a bit or work and running gear adding. Its heavy but thinking about more ballast and it can be a heavyweight for windy days. I plan to use these to the max before I upgrade.

Buddy box on my gliders or a voice of experience on my shoulder would be great. I have been teaching myself slope so far. Not broken anything badly so far, the dog has done the most damage by cracking the rudder on the orange box!

I fly spektrum as a result of bnf micros that I started back on.