Traveling to UK this summer - Slopes advice

chiloschista

chiloschista

Hi ensemble,

I am planning a trip this summer to come flying with my son, in UK.

We will come in a caravan and are searching for great slopes.

The location is still not decided. We were in Cornwall already a couple of years ago.

We did fly at White Horse also (we were in UK several times ...).

What we have in mind is something on South coast or South Galles (Cardiff etc), but other suggestions are welcome.

The goal is to fly on dynamics (maybe dynamic soaring, when possible) with fast and aerobatic planes.

We are searching for landboard and power kiting sites too, so better if there are the two possibilities in the neighbourhood.

Any suggestion and advice will be really appreciated!

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Ric

P.s.: I hope this is the right section for this post, otherwise please move it.

chiloschista

Hi chilochista.

Try www.slopehunter.co.uk

If you are planning to spend any time in south Devon (Plymouth, Exeter, Dartmoor area I can help you with more detail.

Hi wookman,

thanks for your answer!

I would prefer near Newport as this is a new region for me and seems there is plenty of great slopes and beaches to do landboard and power kiting. But it still is not decided.

Ric

If you are going to S Wales, you should not miss the Bwlch. This has enormous slopes facing every wind direction. The world F3F record has been set there at least once. Also Rhossili (West only), which is indescribably wonderful.

I second both the above AND if your going into south Wales then you must visit The Skirrid just north east of Abergavenny. Great slope for f3f and DS North East round to South East and West, though North can be flown as well!

chiloschista

Hey, thank you both!

That's exactly what I'm searching for. I guess we are more and more heading toward South Wales.

I noticed several campings too. Two between Hunts Bay and Rhossili.

Ric

Hi Rick

I live and slope on the Gower Peninsular, South Wales and would recommend the following camp, touring caravan site.  It's located just west of Three Cliffs one of Britain's most beautiful beaches.  http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk/

It's also only a short walk from some slope sites, Penmaen Burrows which work on an East and Westerly.  Braver men than me have even D'sd the Great Tor!

This fairly old (and a bit long) video might wet your appetite.  Taken from Penmaen Burrows it's a short walk from the campsite linked above.  At the start there are glimpses of the Great Tor which has been DS'd and also the campsite.  Rhossili is a just over a 10min drive down the road and the Bwlch is a 35mile (1.10hr) drive in the opposite direction.  The Skirrid is approx 1:40hrs away.

nucleardwarf

I can second the comments on visiting the Bwlch.  

I fly most weekdays/weekends at the Bwlch and can say there are not many places to match the quality of lift for flying there.

:thumbsup:

If you are going to S Wales, you should not miss the Bwlch. This has enormous slopes facing every wind direction. The world F3F record has been set there at least once. Also Rhossili (West only), which is indescribably wonderful.

I forgot to mention that everything you need to know about the Bwlch (wind directions, where not to land, etc.) is at http://www.knewt.com/bwlch/thebwlch.htm.

Lundylynda

If you are visiting the UK in the beginning of August there will be a group of 30 of us in mid Wales. Please have a look at the Welshfest in Slope and Dynamic soaring section on this site. You would be most welcome to join us  :)

• Like 1

chiloschista

This fairly old (and a bit long) video might wet your appetite.  Taken from Penmaen Burrows it's a short walk from the campsite linked above.  At the start there are glimpses of the Great Tor which has been DS'd and also the campsite.  Rhossili is a just over a 10min drive down the road and the Bwlch is a 35mile (1.10hr) drive in the opposite direction.  The Skirrid is approx 1:40hrs away.

Thanks, that's very useful and demonstrative. This could be a great solution. I'm wondering about equipping my caravan with solar panels, just in case there are problems with electricity delivery at campsite.

Just for your interest that's what I'm developing in this field (planks):

chiloschista

I can second the comments on visiting the Bwlch.  

I fly most weekdays/weekends at the Bwlch and can say there are not many places to match the quality of lift for flying there.

:thumbsup:

So we will probably meet = :D

If you are visiting the UK in the beginning of August there will be a group of 30 of us in mid Wales. Please have a look at the Welshfest in Slope and Dynamic soaring section on this site. You would be most welcome to join us  :)

Hi Lynda, your thread about Welshfest was the first one I discovered here after subscription. I read it almost completely, but I did not dare write.

It is still not very clear to me how it works. I read with pleasure about the planned activities, not to forget control line! This and free flight were my first approach to model flying, in my youth. I tried again few years ago.

I'm wondering to bring with us combat nitro powered planes (but this means a lot of extra equipment).

When we (my son and me) were in Cornwall, we went at Redruth for a flying models meeting. I was amazed by the amount of (crazy) flying and how many nitro powered planes there still are in UK.

I think we are the last ones here still flying combustion engines B) .

Ok, stop speaking of heresies on a soarers forum :wacko:

Best regards,

Ric

Edit: forgot to say we are coming from end July to mid August

chiloschista

Hi Rick

I live and slope on the Gower Peninsular, South Wales and would recommend the following camp, touring caravan site.  It's located just west of Three Cliffs one of Britain's most beautiful beaches.  http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk/

It's also only a short walk from some slope sites, Penmaen Burrows which work on an East and Westerly.  Braver men than me have even D'sd the Great Tor!

Hi,

seems the camping is fully booked both in July and August :angry::(:blush: .

Ric

• 3 weeks later...
chiloschista

Hello,

could someone please point me to web sites for wind directions, weather conditions ecc for sloping (and maybe see conditions and tides also), in South Wales?

Thanks a lot!

Ric

Tilman Baumann

Windfinder is really good for macro wind conditions.

It's best near the coast I think. To very better you'd probably have to find local weather stations.

• 3 weeks later...
chiloschista

Back from vacation, I would share what I find always amazing while visiting UK: weather changes.

It was taken at White Sheet, near Frome.

• 2 months later...