Newbie Question - Using Nylon Wing Bolts

Sean Cull

Hi,

I bought as and hand 2m slope soarer and have been getting it ready to slope - I hav some sR/C experience but am new to slope.

The model has two M4 bolts holding down the wing. The current ones are steel but it is obvious that this has caused the fuselage some damage in a previous life.

Am I OK to use nylon bolts as a deliberate weak point or is there a dander that they well strip in flight ?

The model is an electric version of one of these - http://www.flyingsites.co.uk/reviews/halloween.htm

These are the bolts - '>

Thanks Sean

Nylon bolts are frequently used to introduce a "shear point".  Check what is likely to happen should the wing travel forward if the bolts sheared.  If there are no obstructions that could cause damage (or be damaged - also look at your wiring, plugs, etc.) then go for it.

Hi, I did fly the model while the post was being moderated and the nylon bolts were needed following a missmatch between model performance and available skills :-{

The shearing bolts worked surprisingly effectively and undoubtedly saved the model.

Slower model on order.

Thanks again, Sean

• Like 1

If possible use white/translucent nylon bolts rather than the black type as the white ones are usually Nylon 66, which will be more than strong enough. The Black variety tend to be re cycled plastic so could be anything

• Like 2