Sign in to follow this  
Martin_N

SlopeGlide 2014 in Wales on 9th & 10th August

Martin_N

Hi All,

With a tricky forecast the weekend turned out far better than we could have hoped for.  With only one interruption of around 10 - 15 minutes on Saturday we flew all day on the main Mickeys slope with a number of showers that slipped by further awy without causing any issues.

11 rounds completed in total on Saturday with some stunning performances from everyone, round winners as follows:

1) Joel West 41.42

2) Mark Abbotts 37.14

3) Graeme Mahoney 39.89

4) Joel West 35.28

5) Stefan Bertschi 35.71

6) Joel West 35.29

7) Joel West 34.63

8) Joel West 36.46

9) Joel West 37.80

10) Mark Abbotts 40.10

11) Stefan Bertschi 40.13

Unfortunately as expected the weather wasn't going to be on our side on Sunday.  Not only was the wind moving round from NE to West we had a number of showers during this ever changing wind direction.  The wind settled in a westerly direction but it brought with it the down pours and low cloud therefore with 11 excellent round completed on Saturday we called it a day.

Big thanks to Pete Burgess and Stefan helping me out in the centre and to Joel for taking on the task of buzzer supreme. Normally this is where the thanks would stop, but I have to to thank every single pilot for getting stuck in and proactively helping with setting up the course, always being ready to fly and taking the course down at the end of the day.  

For everyone's  information there has been an issue over the access gate with keys and we were unable to take the cars up to the slope, this meant a long walk.  Without exception pilots took the course up to the slope and everyone took a an item at the end of the day back to the cars, no one left the slope until everyone else was ready.

The results are below and I will put the spreadsheet on GBRSA for download in the next couple of days.

Joel flew superbly over the 11 rounds showing what a top pilot he is:

• Like 5

rumbey

Thanks very much Martin for organising this and also to Pete and Stefan for helping with the CDing duties.

Great day Saturday and Joel very much deserved to be the winner... almost perfect pump climbouts and immaculate full reservals

Also well done to Graeme and also Tony ... tough luck with the 35 sec run that had to be scubbed as the timing gear packed up in that round and it took longer than 30 minutes to get the replacement rigged up! 

Ian F3F

Hi Martin

thanks for your hard work to make a great weekend happen.  I'll be coming up with my excuses later!

Ian

Martin_N

Hi Martin

thanks for your hard work to make a great weekend happen. I'll be coming up with my excuses later!

Ian

I'll help you, new glider and working on the setup, it certainly improved throughout the day.

Also well done to Graeme and also Tony ... tough luck with the 35 sec run that had to be scubbed as the timing gear packed up in that round and it took longer than 30 minutes to get the replacement rigged up!

Likewise not good the timing gear had an issue, the only good to come out of it at least the welsh gear will have a new reset switch for the welsh open, so we don't have any issues there and the new base buzzers for the new bmfa timing gear seem to work without issue. If it hadn't been for the fact we had to walk back to the cars to collect the new timing gear we would have been up and running again very quickly.

Martin

rc-soar

Despite the weather on Sunday, it was a very enjoyable weekend. Special mention to: Martin for keeping the show on the road despite all the obstacles thrown in his path, and to Stefan for coming all this way to grace us with his presence - and for CD'ing. Thanks to you both.

A little belated, here are a few photos of the weekend:

http://rcsoar.zenfolio.com/slopeglide_2014

Mike

• Like 8

Martin_N

Thanks for posting Mike, well captured and great pictures as always.

Martin

jwest532

Fantastic pictures Mike.

Love the B/W pic's, not so keen on the ones of me looking like a boy band reject :)

Joel

• Like 1

oipigface

Fantastic pictures Mike.

Love the B/W pic's, not so keen on the ones of me looking like a boy band reject :)

Joel

The camera does not lie.

• Like 1

Rocket Ronnie

Great photos Mike as usual.

Thanks for sharing

Ronnie