Sign in to follow this  
Peter G

Scottish Slope Nationals - 30th & 31st August

Peter G

Its our Slope Nationals at the weekend with 60" Foamies on Saturday and F3F on Sunday, I thought I would start a thread and share the latest update.

The forecast is looking very good for the weekend with 18mph westerlies for Saturday and 12mph for Sunday. Permission is in place for the paddock at Bishop for Saturday and I will keep a close eye on the forecast for Sunday as there may be a NW swing which would probably make West Lomond a better bet.

So far I have ten entries for Saturday and twelve for Sunday as follows:

Ewan Maxwell    Sat & Sun

Ronnie Lampe   “

Keith Wood       “

Rich Bago         “

George Young   “

Dave Watson    “

Greg Lewis        “

Mike McCracken “

Sam Smith        “

Peter Gunning   “

Kevin Newton    Sun

Paul Upton        Sun

So if I have missed anyone or you have forgotten to let me know you are coming, let me know soon please.

Peter

• Like 1

Martin_N

Pete,

Hope you have a good comp and possibly a couple more entries. Getting onto Bishops again will be a great comp for the pilots attending.

Martin

George Young

Our two best slopes :thumbsup: I always feel that the NW slope on West Lomond has the potential to be as good as Bishop.

mark_r

Wish I could make it gents, hope you have as good a comp as we had last year!

• Like 1

Martin_N

Come on, what are the results?

Peter G

60" EPP - Saturday

Well we had a great day foamie racing on Bishop today in excellent conditions. The wind was 30-40mph and the foamies were rapid.

Some very close racing and not too much carnage until the end when George and Keith had a coming together and I took out Ewan’s gulp good and proper (sorry Ewan), then clipped Dave on the next turn but we both stayed airbourne!

Greg went very well with an M60 he has owned for about 7 days and George’s reaper was enjoying the big conditions, the odesseys and bluto’s were also in their element. Final scores as follows:

1. Peter Gunning   18pts
  2. Greg Lewis        17pts
  3. Ewan Maxwell    14pts
  4. Rich Bago         13pts won fly off with
  5. George Young   13pts
  6. David Loomes   12pts
  7. Keith Wood       11pts
  8. Sam Smith        11pts
  9. Ronnie Lampe   9pts
  10. Dave Watson    9pts
  11. Colin Murray     6 pts

The equal points scores were separated by most wins or 2nds and George and Rich flew off in a very close race.

F3F - Sunday

We had to wait a while in the sunshine on East Lomond with the wind coming along the slope from the north west but eventually the wind came as forecast and we started the comp at 1 o’clock.

The wind was light, about 4.5ms and conditions were variable but it was warm and we managed 10 rounds with the wind picking up sliaghtly as the day wore on. Rich Bago made a good start with his Needle 115 (v-tail) flying 53.97 to win the round from George Young on 59.37 and then a fairly even spread of times ranging up to 71 seconds. Greg Lewis got some good air with his Freestyler 4.3 in round 2 flying a 46.33 to win the round from Peter Gunning flying Jedi with a 52.32 and George and his Pike Precision on 57.05. The rest of the times fairly evenly spread between 57 and 66 second.

Dave Watson won round 3 with his Cyril with a 55.5 from Rich Bago 56.54 and George on 58.54, Greg was in the mix with a 59.57 as Was Ronnie Lampe but Peter had a stinker on 64 seconds. Round 4 saw Ronnie Lampe in good air with his new FS4 going very well to go very close to Greg’s FTD on 46.93, George was also sub-50 on 48.02 and Robert and Peter flew 53’s. Round 5 was won by Greg on 50.02 just pipping Rich on 50.28 and George again in 3rd on 51 with Peter in 4th on 52. This was about as consistent as the conditions got with 9 out of 10 pilots tightly bunched in the 50’s, also apparent now that I hadn’t spotted at the time is that George is in the top 3 in every round, at this stage he was leading…

Peter changed model for his Stinger and finally had some luck in round 6 winning the round with a 46.52 with Mike in 2nd on 49.88 and Greg 3rd on 50.27. Robert Carson won round 7 with his Fosa on 50.10 from Peter on 50.81 and Greg on 52.22 and Mike on 52.26. At this stage Greg was leading by 25 points from Peter who was 60 points in front of George, very close at the top! Greg won round 8 with a 49.62 from George on 51.59 and Ronnie on 52.64. Round 9 also went to Greg with a 47.99 from Peter on 50.48 and Mike on 51.29, George had a stinker on 63.39.

George left the best till last however, hooked some great air and flew it superbly to record an FTD of 41.74, a real round killer with Keith Woods and his FS4 second on 52.75 with 791pts! Ewan finally got some decent air and flew his best time of the day on 53.68.

I think we were all pleasantly surprised to have flow 10 rounds given the dodgy start and I was greatly relieved that the '2014' engraved trophies could be awarded! So the final results were:

1          Greg Lewis                   8478.86            FS4.3

2          George Young               8282.98            Pike Precision

3          Peter Gunning               8235.17            Jedi / Stinger

4          Mike McCracken           7928.69            Pike Precision

5          Ronnie Lampe               7868.75            FS4

6          Rich Bago                     7799.47            Needle 115V

7          Robert Carson               7583.43            Fosa

8          Keith Wood                   7465.24            FS4

9          David Watson                7400.05            Cyril

10        Ewan Maxwell                7173.43            Cyril

FTD George Young 41.74

Thanks to our English friends who travelled up, and thanks to all for making it a success. See you next year

Peter

• Like 3

Martin_N

Good report Pete, congrats Greg on the win. Glad you got to fly both days, the epp racing sounds like grea fun.

Martin

Baldyslapnut

Cheers Martin.

Massive thank you to Pete and the Scottish lads. Two great days flying. They could not have been more welcoming.

Saturday was about as good as it gets. EPP 60 inch pylon was superb. Very social. Completely different to F3F. Sport/F3F flying afterwards was very exciting. Big slope lift mixed with strong thermals.

Today was about keeping your concentration. Very easy to get your head down when someone hammers you. George proved that smooth accurate flying pays off.

Glad I started flying again.

Greg

George Young

What a brilliant weekend of racing. Both days were excellent and both quite different, the foamies on Bishop Hill in big lift were a fantastic precursor to F3F on East Lomond on Sunday. Both hills were just about at their best and the weather held fair all weekend. You really couldn’t ask for better for the Scottish Nats.

Congratulations to the winners, Peter and Greg and thanks to all who made it along, especially those who travelled a fair distance :thumbsup:  The banter from friends old and new made the whole weekend memorable. I was more than pleased with my runner-up position and ftd on Sunday. To say I was gobsmacked at my final position is an understatement! My legs are tired today after being on my feet all weekend and my face is sore from all the grinning :D

Thanks must go to Peter for cd-ing and putting it all together, getting permission for access to Bishop, organising the trophies etc :thumbsup:  I really enjoyed my ftd beer last night.

rumbey

Good to hear that you got both the EPP60 and F3F comps in. 

Very well done to the winners, Pete and Greg

Also glad to hear that the EPP60 is back in the mix once again

George Young

CIMG1575_zps8e192973.jpg

Foamie winner Peter Gunning

CIMG1578_zpsfc068ed6.jpg

F3F winner Greg Lewis

CIMG1574_zps5ec2b3c2.jpg

Which way is home?

CIMG1566_zps69c10eb4.jpg

Greg's Freestyler

Peter's Jedi about to be launched