Slovakia F3F World Championships 2014

Martin_N

Well we are on our way to Slovakia, Mark and Jon left Early Sunday morning and are already there. Simon and I left yesterday evening and after stoping for one and a half hours are not to far from the Austrian border.

Hopefully we can get a couple of days practice before the pre comp, although Mark has sadly discovered there has been no organization of the ski lift therefore the only way up is to walk :).

Hopefully keep you postd as things progress, I believe the main site will be updated real time with the scores.

Thanks

Martin

I won't suggest that you all 'break a leg', then....

Have a great time, and hope you all have the best of the air - we know you've got the skills!

John

• Like 1

Jolly little walk to the slope today. Couple of miles walk plus 400m climb. After about 1/3 the way up I questioned my sanity, and then repeated this every 10mins thereafter. Great views at the top though, and rewarded with a couple of hours flying doing about 30 seconds per leg. Jelly legs to finish on the way down, so early bed in order.

Hopefully the lift will run tomorrow, otherwise we'll be looking for a local mule supplier.

• Like 2

I can't imagine how challenging it must have been to have scaled the mountain from the foot hills Mark - but mad props to you for accomplishing it.....

Good luck to Team UK, and here's to >= 3 m/s for the week.....the wind is looking a little light right now :-(

Cheers,

Greg

We managed to get some practice in today on the north slope. It's a bit of a hike once you have taken the ski lift up to the top but nothing like the 1hr 30 mins it took Mark and Jon to walk up to the top :). It was only around 4m/s, when the lift was good it was ok when we were practicing, but if the sink came through it could catch you out very very quickly.

We are all making minor adjustments to get the models as close as we can to suit what will be needed for next week, but difficult with limited flying time. Thankfully the models are not to far away from where they need to be and these are only minor adjustments. Simon's shinto's looked to be performing very well today in good and ok air however every pilot struggled when hit with the sink.

Martin

• Like 5

Conditions during practice today were very marginal - don't think we could have run a comp. the forecast for tomorrow and foreseeable future is even lighter winds. The wind direction is not good for the available slopes either. But team GB had a good day, mostly thermalling, but chilling out.

• Like 2

Mentally challenging day to day due to the varying conditions. 3 Rounds in about 5 hours - a breeze usually indicating sink following a thermal. Simon had 3 good slots (prob in lead), I had 3 very average, Martin had 2 average and 1 good run. Times varied from 45s to >90s. More of same next few days.

• Like 1

Mentally challenging day to day due to the varying conditions. 3 Rounds in about 5 hours - a breeze usually indicating sink following a thermal. Simon had 3 good slots (prob in lead), I had 3 very average, Martin had 2 average and 1 good run. Times varied from 45s to >90s. More of same next few days.

I thought the comp started on Monday?

Simon is currently winning by 250pts after 3 rounds, Mark is in 11th and a 100pt penalty costing me 7 places :( has put me in 21st so far. The air is very variable who knows what tomorrow will bring, overall a good day and good practice for the start of the WC on Monday.

Martin