BMFA League Reserve 19th October Hole of Horcum

Martin_N

Pete was quoting the 'raw' points after 10 rounds, but it comes to the same 0.2%

Simon

I'm trying to resist the temptation to observe that it was Jon doing the quoting, but find that I can't!

Excellent day out, Jon. I think it is the first time I've returned from Levisham with no damage during the day. Gromit asks why Levisham is the way it is. I don't know the answer, but whatever it is it's not simple. The bumps out front always seem to diminish during the day, while the landing area very often gets worse.

Bad bumpy ballistic sums up Levisham very well.

The front Topography creates some great thermals, In a SW wind they are even better as they run up the long valley that lies SW of the W facing hill.

It makes for a very powerful Base A where the wind and the thermal can punch the model faster than I have witnessed on any other slope.

Levisham, I think holds more pilots PB's than any other UK slope, but almost certainly during the day that they broke their PB they also flew a 40 + run.

It makes for  a competition that is very technical but also needs a high degree of concentration and a level of mental strength to carry on through the bad rounds.

It would be easy to say that luck plays a big part of Levisham, but that would be an incorrect assessment. Yes times will vary a lot but look back through any recent results and the same names are always at the front of Levisham comps.

Mentally it is a hard competition as round winning times are often low 30's but second, third, fourth man can be some way behind.

Mark Redsell's time spent on the hill makes him a very worth winner time and time again.

Levisham is a beautiful hill that has broken me on many occasions.......

• Like 1

Bob Dickenson

As an observer for a couple of hours, I was pleased I was not flying, I would have broken something landing, if not on the slope. My absolute admiration to all who flew, it looked rough on the slope & difficult landing. I must be a softie walter!

• Like 1

As an observer for a couple of hours, I was pleased I was not flying, I would have broken something landing, if not on the slope. My absolute admiration to all who flew, it looked rough on the slope & difficult landing. I must be a softie walter!

Good to see you up the slope Bob. It was an interesting day's flying, with some incredible lift at times, but rarely lasting very long.

Simon

Look like I missed a good day although in my current state of health I don't think I would have got up the hill!

Looking at the wind speed and the results it looks like a typical demanding Levisham result. Well done to Mark, Peter and Simon getting the most out of the slope