Sign in to follow this  
Martin_N

Welsh Winter League

jwest532

Results and write up from AJ

Its Winter League time again!

The first round of the SWSA Winter league has always been susceptible to difficult weather conditions. Managing to get a few hours out on Saturday for a quick practice started to raise my fears as this was suppose to be the better of the two days and that was spent dodging clag on the Wrecker.

So when I got to the slope Sunday morning I was welcomed by blanket of clag I feared the worse. Once on top to check the wind direction it was clear that the wind strength was much higher than Saturday and was also smack on the wrecker.

Now would the clag clear? After presenting Mark Abbotts with his trophy for the Fastest Time for the Welsh Open we wondered over to the Wrecker and the clag was starting to lift. It was good enough to set a course up, although the clag was still to low to fly so we would be ready if it lifted.

As the course was up, pilots started move to the pits area and rig up ready to fly. All the time this was going on the clag was lifting more and it was starting to look hopeful that we would get a competition in. Joel West was persuaded to put his Freestyler up to check cloud base and see if it was high enough to get to the landing area safely!

Seeing as he had negotiated this challenge we decided to let him get the 2014-15 Winter League underway and Joel flew a 39:89 to win the round. This was closely followed by Simon Thornton who flew a 40:05. The Dark Lord, Mr Greg Dakin had made the journey to South Wales and collected third place in the round with a 42:85.

Greg was now getting the feel of his new model which was a Jiri Baudis cocktail of a Pit Bull and Fosa Lift a sort of Pit Lift or Fosa Bull I suppose, you get the idea! Anyway Greg flew a 35:54 to win the round with Simon second again with a 39:17 and Graeme Mahoney took third with a 40:39.

Simon consistence was rewarded in round three which he won with a 39:65. Martin Newnham was now starting to find his feet as he was having a slow start following an evening in Bridgend with Mark Abbotts and Clayton and took second spot with a 43:05. Greg took third spot with a 43:83 with the Pit Fosa!

Simon was in there again to win round four with a 37:25, closely followed by Joel and Martin with 38:62 and 38:90 respectively.

The fifth round was won with the fastest time of the day by Joel with a 33:42. Mark was starting to recover from the night before and clocked a 39:95 for second spot and Mr Consistent, Simon was third with a 41:33.

The six and what turned out to be the final run as the clag had returned with a bit of rain thrown in, was won by Mark Abbots with a 38:14. Gary Harrison had also made the journey with John Phillips and a changed to his Needle for the final round promptly a second place with a 40:68 just beating Greg who flew a 40:97 with his Lift Bull!

With Clag descending which brought the curtain down on the first winter league of the series all that was left to do was pack up. Thanks to everyone who helped get the course up and down and especially Dave Rumble who helped out in the centre and John Treble who volunteered for the worse job of them all, Buzz Supremeo.

So who had taken the honours for the league event?

It was Simon Thornton who was first with 4824 points. Joel West was second with 4730 points and Greg Dakin was third with 4690.

See you all in a month’s time and the full results are below, all the best

Andrzej

1 Simon Thornton 4824.81

2 Joel West 4730.96

3 Greg Dakin 4690.31

4 Martin Newnham 4524.78

5 Mark Abbotts 4393.67

6 Graeme Mahoney 4351.53

7 Andy Burgoyone 4282.94

8 Tony Livingstone 4261.67

9 John Phillips 4260.37

10 Gary Harrison 4234.75

11 Mark Treble 4214.14

12 Mike Evans 4199.97

13 Stuart Wallace 4080.02

14 Dave Rumble 4067.67

15 Martin Drewett 3986.72

16 John Treble 3858.75

17 Paul Stubley 3736.30

18 Andrzej Tabero 2305.01

isoaritfirst

A very enjoyable day dispite the air being more variable than normal for the Wrecker.

Simon was as boring as ever, ;)  never seemed to put a foot wrong, and EM's won out in the end. Very classy flying.

Not the fastest way around the Wrecker but fast enough and in the changeable conditions, over 6 rounds EM consistency paid off.

Gregs Fosa also flying EM  looked stunningly powerful through he turns and in the pumps. I always though that the Fosa looked a powerful weapon and with the space lift version it seems that it may have found the tweeks needed to be a great slope model.

Personally I wasn't alone in not getting much to work with, but it was still very enjoyable flying. The wrecker in mid forties air is a nice slope for some accurate flying and experimenting with different tune styles etc. I think I tried them all during the day.

Thanks to everyone for making the day a success, and a good decision to not push for that last round.

jwest532

Shame I missed Joels 33.xx but I didnt miss his words of wisdom about my model being "competition shy!"  -  reference to my Alliaj being much quicker after the comp ended - thanks Joel

As always Dave I'm full of words however nobody has ever considered them wise.  Lets be honest everyone looks good when the clocks not on them :)

• Like 1

rumbey

As always Dave I'm full of words however nobody has ever considered them wise.  Lets be honest everyone looks good when the clocks not on them :)

I disagree some pilots fly quick in and out of comps.  Its called flying without fear and having total faith in the model and its setup

simon_t

Nice to have a bit of time on the Wrecker, although conditions were a little bit slower than the wind would suggest - probably the amount of moisture in the air.  As Mike said, I was pretty boring - little variation in times, and I neither had brilliant or poor air.  The Shinto continues to be an easy and accurate model to fly between the bases, as well as adequately fast.  Joel's 33.xx was brilliant, as was Greg's 35.xx.  His Fosa Lift looked very smooth and always fast.

Once again AJ was tireless at the centre, and was ably supported by Dave Rumble, who seemed to enjoy himself in the centre.  John Treble did a great job as buzzer supremo - thanks guys.

Martin's call for more help to get the course up/down etc. seems to have got people going, and there were plenty of helpers through the day.  Please keep this up as it shares the load away from just a few people.

Hopefully we will continue to be lucky with the weather this winter league, after too many recent poor conditions.

Simon

• Like 5

Gromit

A great, very well supported opener to the 2014/15 Welsh Winter league. 

My thanks to AJ  & Dave for Cd'ing, to Martin & Joel + to all others who fetched, carried erected, packed away the course, and to our buzzer supremo for the day John treble. Thankyou guys :thumbsup:.

Thanks too to all who attended and made the day so very enjoyable.

Lots of 'Cracking' flying by many pilots throughout the day, congrats to Simon on the win, Joel for being runner up, and Greg on his third place.

Well done to everyone else too on their placings.

Winner Simon's flying was a pleasure to watch throughout the day B) .

Joel's 33.42 was 'a bit quick' :drool:, even when Joel flew one round with a small amount of crow inadvertently deployed throughout, this still didn't seem to slow him down :huh: .

With Greg & Martin flying just after myself i didn't get to witness their flying, their respective 3rd & 4th places suggest they too flew very well throughout the day.

I came away with more learn't and more excuse's for me to get out on the slopes & practice ;) .

Lookin forward to rd 2 of the Welsh Winter lg :thumbsup:

Stu.

• Like 3

Skip

From Andrzej:

Hi All

Sorry for the late post but I have been tied up with work for the last 10 days. This Sunday 21 December (the shortest day) will be the second round of the SWSA F3F winter league. I will make a call Friday if the competition is on and if so more details of meeting times.

If I can have entries by Saturday I would be grateful as it helps with or organising the flying order and get things running on the day. However, if you wake up Sunday morning and decide at the last minute you want to fly you will more than welcome, but you might find yourself early in the flying order!

If you are thinking about having a go in F3F the winter league is a great place to start, it's all pretty informal and don't worry if you haven't got the latest state of the art carbon fibre dream machine to have a go.  Sure it nice to have but it is more important that you have a go at standing in the centre of a course and trying to fly a kilometre as fast as you can with what ever plane you have got.  Better to find out flying a foamie that F3F is for you than spending thousands only to find out you have made an expensive mistake!   

Looking forward to seeing you all Sunday

Andrzej

Hump day at last!!  :thumbsup: 

paul garnett

Hmm, wonder if I could attend, fly home from Germany on 20th..not seen her indoors for 5 week's.. Haha

simon_t

This from AJ:

Hi All

Hmmmm.... It's one those calls you just really don't know what to do! I have visited quite a few weather sites and they are all giving rain, but coming in at a different times of day. Some are suggesting it being in as early as 10:00 am, with a chance of a break in the afternoon and some suggesting mid to late afternoon.

Mild moist air coming in from the South West this time of year usually means clag on the westerly slopes on the Bwlch. That said if it clear with the wind speeds predicted it could be quite good on Mickey's. May be the bigger question is that will it stay clear for us to get three rounds in?

If I was pushed to make a decision right now I don't think we will get enough to get three rounds and would call it off, but with quite a bit of a contradiction between the various weather site I suggest we hold and I will make a call by midday tomorrow. Hopefully by then will have a clearer pictures.

All the best

Andrzej

Skip

Tomorrows comp is off. Good call I reckon. The weather looks decidedly PANTS!

Gromit

Disappointing :( , but a good call.

Stu.

oipigface

Bwlch this afternoon has been all over the place. I went up the hill by the layby to check the wind direction. West. Drove down. Parked. Got into winter gear. Almost Walked to Mickey's West, before noticing that the wind farm was indicated North West. Walked to Ice Cream slope. Wind was West. I decided not to walk back to Mickey's (it was 3pm by this time), but I hung around for a bit, and the wind did come onto the Ice Cream slope enough for me to have about quarter of an hour of aerobatics, in a crossed wind.

I'm hoping to be up on Mickey's again tomorrow morning before the rain and the clag set in. Fingers crossed.

oipigface

At 8:30, it's raining and claggy already. Good call, AJ.

• Like 1

Skip

From Andrzej:

Hi All

This Sunday 18 January will be the third round of the SWSA F3F winter league. I will make a call Friday if the competition is on and if so more details of meeting times.

If I can have entries by Saturday I would be grateful as it helps with or organising the flying order and get things running on the day. However, if you wake up Sunday morning and decide at the last minute you want to fly you will more than welcome, but you might find yourself early in the flying order!

If you are thinking about having a go in F3F the winter league is a great place to start, it's all pretty informal and don't worry if you haven't got the latest state of the art carbon fibre dream machine to have a go.  Sure it nice to have but it is more important that you have a go at standing in the centre of a course and trying to fly a kilometre as fast as you can with what ever plane you have got.  Better to find out flying a foamie that F3F is for you than spending thousands only to find out you have made an expensive mistake!   

abbof3f

From Andrzej:

Hi All

This Sunday 18 January will be the third round of the SWSA F3F winter league. I will make a call Friday if the competition is on and if so more details of meeting times.

Just heard on radio 2 that the Bwlch to nanty road is closed....think it said high winds not snow?

jwest532

Just heard on radio 2 that the Bwlch to nanty road is closed....think it said high winds not snow?

Hope so as the forecast for Sunday looks good! 

How windy does it have to be to close a road like that? Who can we send up there to check the wind speed :)

Skip

It was probably snow. We got a bit last night. There is torrential rain expected tonight, so it should get washed away or a massive dump of snow if it doesn't warm up a little. I'll head up for a squizz tomorrow.

• Like 2

Gromit

It was probably snow. We got a bit last night. There is torrential rain expected tonight, so it should get washed away or a massive dump of snow if it doesn't warm up a little. I'll head up for a squizz tomorrow.

Thanks Skip :thumbsup: ,

Stu.

Skip

No Snow up there at the moment from what I can see on the webcam. I didn't get time to drive up there this morning.

I think I might try to enter comps via telepathy. Whenever I make my entry known, the weather forecast turns less favourable for a comp. This Sunday is still looking pretty nice (light tho), but very different to the forecast before my entry was sent, and hasn't got far to go to deteriorate to WNW at 5mph. TCF! (I'll explain that one in person)

jwest532

From AJ

Hi All

Well most of the weather forecast are good for Sunday with it putting us on the VR slope at the moment. One or two are just giving an outside chance of flurry or snow but otherwise okay so I will call the competition  on.

We will aim to meet 09:00 to 09:30 at the Wrecker Car Park, but keep an eye on the posts tomorrow if there is change in wind direction it might just shift to the Ice Cream Slope and I will notify you all.

The only downside is that the numbers are a little low and with Saturday night being one of the coldest this year I am not sure if some people might not want get out of bed in the morning plus some parts of the country are being forecast with a deluge of snow tomorrow. The names I have to date are below but please lads let me know if you intend to fly but aren't booked in or are having second thoughts as I wouldn't want  some of the pilots to travel so far and then find we don't have enough for a competition. 

For those booked in I will contact later tomorrow just to confirm numbers  as I don't want to have wasted journey on Sunday, but hopefully it will be good news. 

All the best

Andrzej

Simon Thornton

Joel West

Clayton Landlells

Mark Redsell

Martin Drewett

Mark Treble

Stuart Wallace

Andy Burgoyne
Andrzej Tabero