Long Mynd (Midlands) Winter F3f league

isoaritfirst

What a day.

After nearly two hours chipping at ice in a road block three quarters of way up the Berway road we finally managed to get to the slope.

The winds were no way near what we had been led to believe from the weather forecasters.

With winds of 5 to 7mph we started round one.

For me that was the first and last round as I had developed a problem with one of the tail servos:-(

So for the rest of the very cold I stat in the middle doing the timing gear for the first time.

Pauls going to publish the results this evening.

But as Andy B said we managed to get 8 round in.

BIG thanks to everyone for helping.

And a shame Mike and Andy couldn't be there.

Hope the works Christmas party was a good one Andy.

Well done guys a great effort. Real shame about your tail servo les after all that hassle.

Many years ago I was with mark s when he got stuck and we had to walk back down the burway bought loads of salt in the coop and went back to rescue the car.

Scott Ravenscroft

I would like like to say thank you to everyone who helped to get this comp on, mike for lending the stuff , les for well, not flying which probably ment we got through a lot more rounds than we would have if he flew, especially Paul for taking on cd dutys, obviously I kept an eye on safety and I do believe I showed everyone my driving skills!!

• Like 1

Many thanks to all for the help in getting through the day.

I have been having problems trying to get the spreadsheet to play ball, so will ask Mike E to check out from the raw data.

So a provisional result for now, to be verified as soon as possible........

1 Mark Treble 6925.29

2 Mark Abbotts 6457.11   6459.71

3 Paul Stubley 6363.30    6435.69

4 Scott Ravenscroft 6120.81    6304.39

5 Ian Webb 6161.73   6274.13

6 Jerry Lunt 5897.77  5963.21

7 Andy Harold 3937.92   4628.42

8 Les Wood 763.02

Mark Treble had a convincing win today, taking five round wins from the eight and also had FTD 50.06 in round 5

Will try and do a bit of a write up later.

Scott Ravenscroft

Ian beat me? Really!, I'm not coming again , can't be rite ! I want a re count ! Please send spread sheet, I'm even a better driver than him........

Scott

• Like 1

No your not.

You drive like a big girl.

Well done Mark on a well deserved win,your flying was faultless all day.

And a big well done to Ian beating Scott.

I think my fingertips have just about getting there fellings back.

Role on the next one in January.

Hopefully the Stinger will be up and flying.

Ian beat me? Really!, I'm not coming again , can't be rite ! I want a re count ! Please send spread sheet, I'm even a better driver than him........

Scott

Taping wings on can make all the difference Scott  :)

Thanks Paul n Les for getting it all together.  I had a good day even if I finished in my customary position, only above those what did not complete all rounds.   ;)

After a struggle just to get to the bottom of the Burway (blocked M6, closed M54 at M6) Andy and I thought we would be last up the hill.  I was surprised when most of us gathered half way up and it looked like Abbo was going home already.  :blink:   That road is really scary in those conditions.  Even on the back way down we were driving on sheet ice!!  Scott was certainly taking care in his new Jag :huh:

Round 2 (December 2014) Report

With round one of the Midlands Winter League rained off, the forecast looked a lot more promising for round two. Dry and Sunny with West winds would put us on the Pole Cottage Slope.

My Xtrail took the icy climb up the Burway in its stride and I was slopeside with all the gear by 9am. By 10:30 I was still “Billy No Mates” and becoming more concerned where everyone had got to. I was unaware that traffic had slid to a standstill on the Burway 10 minutes after me.

As it was, the early wind strength would not have been strong enough to start the comp, so in reflection no time was lost.

So with course set up and wind strength 5ms and building, we got underway by 11:40

No need for a buzzer supremo with 8 pilots. I reminded all at the pilots briefing that it would be a case of fly, land and take over on a base.  Because of this, we took a 20 minute lunch break after round 4, to catch breath and also give an opportunity for visiting sports flyer Alan Thomson to fly and avoid a wasted trip.

So a summary of the day would be 8 rounds flown and low 50’s proving to be the target.

Mark Treble was maintaining energy with his trusty Toxic to maximum effect, winning five rounds and also had FTD 50.06s

I heard Mark Abbotts say his fingers were rusty on the sticks, but apart from his discard in round 4 (following a cut), only had 1 other flight slower than fifties,

I am becoming more settled with the Cyril and took a welcome last round win with 52.71

Ian and Scott were flying their Needle 100’s well, with Ian beating Scott Scott beating Ian by a close 30 points in the end.

Jerry Lunt took a very respectable 3rd place in round 7 with a Pink Vampire

Andy Harrold (in maybe his 2nd comp?) was grooving his Air One around the course nicely.

Special thanks to Les Wood, who encountered problems with a tail servo after the first round, and spent the rest of the comp in the center.

Final positions as previously posted, and I will get the spreadsheet to Martin Newnham  for anyone who wants to analyse.

Thanks again to all for sharing the load and making the day a success. Here’s looking forward to the January event.

Buzz (Paul Stubley)

• Like 4

Official results from spread sheet. 

Paul --  you need to add zeros into the raw data sheet

1 Mark Treble                   6925.29 1000.00

2 Mark Abbotts                 6459.71   932.77

3 Paul Stubley                  6435.69   929.30

4 Scott Ravenscroft          6304.39   910.34

5 Ian Webb                       6274.13    905.97

6 Jerry Lunt                      5963.21    861.07

7 Andy Harold                  4628.42    668.33

8 Les Wood                        763.02     110.17

Sorry its taken me a while to get around to it but been up to my armpits in old toilets and tiling all day.

In my haste to get the results posted last night (some manual working of the discards because of my lack of knowledge with the spreadsheet settings) I have discovered that I selected some discards incorrectly.

I have now got the spreadsheet to do its business and this has affected positions 4 & 5 in the original positions posted.

I am really sorry for the error.

Its been a total new experience this CDing business, and I have learned a lot this weekend, both on and off the slope.

Mine's a lager Scott  :thumbsup:

• Like 1