Sign in to follow this  
EssexBOF

Keith Miller

EssexBOF

Sad news that Keith Miller passed away last Friday. Stalwart of the Thermal flying fraternity for many years.

• Like 1

simon_t

Very sad news. One of the first folks I knew when I got into gliding, and he worked tirelessly at promoting gliding in the South East. So long Dusty!

Simon

• Like 1

PeteMitchell

That is very sad news.

Keith was a proper Gentleman.

pete beadle

Hi all

Why is it you only seem to get the really bad news just before or just after Christmas?

I too knew Dusty, although probably not as well as you chaps, and have nothing but good memories of our meetings

A sad loss

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Jef Ott

Keith was very supportive of Gary (my son) when he was a teenager learning the BARCS Open ropes.

For me, his name was synonymous with the Towner Trophy, the longest running thermal soaring competition, which we attended a few times over the years.

Very sad news. 

• Like 1

robtc3uk

Words can to say how sad i am to hear the news. Keith taught me to fly gliders 25 years ago. My happiest  memories are the weekends spent with Keith at the tonbridge field and as i got better the open comps keith use to take me to. He would come pick me and and we would have a nice drive to the comps talking about gliding all the way there. We also had fun a radioglide and the nationals . I can say i have never met a nice gentleman than Keith .

Rest in peace my dear friend 

rob

ceebee

I would like to endorse all the previous comments. I first met Keith when I started competing in thermal gliding competitions in the early 1990s. I always found him to be friendly, helpful and interesting. He would always inquire about my wife and daughter if they weren't with me and I never once saw him angry or grumpy even though there were times I'm sure he must have felt like tearing someone off a strip or two. He was a very good builder of wooden gliders and not a bad pilot either. I'm not sure how many people knew that he had trained as a Horsa glider pilot leading up to the assault at Arnhem during WW2 although he was not involved in the final event. Although he had been unable to attend any comps over the last few years, he will indeed be remembered as one of life's true gentlemen. Goodbye my friend and rest in peace.

Colin

ThermalBoy

I can only agree with all the wonderful comments above. I first met Keith when BARCS Open Soaring comps began in the late 70's early 80's. Without doubt he was one of the kindest and most generous individuals I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I for one will miss seeing him on our club field enjoying, what for him, was a lifetime passion.

Rest in Peace Keith, you will be sorely missed.

Colin

• Like 1

Robin Sleight

I too can only echo the sentiments of all the above contributors.  Keith was one of the world's true gentlemen.  He also was very proud of his glider training as associated with the Arnham raid. A sad loss to Model Flying and to his club in particular.

Robin

• Like 1

EssexBOF

Nice obituary to Keith Miller on S&T site by Dave Bishop:-

Keith Miller 1926 - 2014 A Super friend.

I was saddened to hear that Keith Miller has passed away on Friday November 21 after attending a Glider Pilots luncheon wife his wife Rita, that he had organised. I have known Keith for years and had many conversations with him, always those conversations were about aeroplanes, both model and full size. He told me a long time ago at the age of 16, that he had worked for the famous DA Russell at Aeromodeller which was then situated at large building named Wilmary House in Merton Lane near Highgate in London. He knew all of the "big names" in the modelling business and also the "must have" books such as Aircraft of the Fighting Powers, of which I'm pleased to say I have the full bound set in my office here as I write this piece. He talked about a later editor of Aeromodeller Harry Hundleby, who was there along with and Rupert Moore, who painted superb coloured pictures for the front cover of that magazine. Another dear friend he made was Ron Moulton, a man whom he had great respect for.

There was another activity that Keith was involved in which was the Air Training Corps (ATC) cadets which took up his Sundays. Al of this happened before he was eventually called up for his service in the army. I remember that he was trained as a glider pilot and he soloed for many hours in the Tiger Moth before going into a troop carrying Horsa glider and taking control of the joystick. Consequently he was (among thousands of others) a regular annual visitor to Arnhem where the Airborne Para's lost so many colleagues. I remember seeing those elite clique of chaps at my Family Model & Craft Show at Plumpton Racecourse which I ran for twenty years. they met to0gether annually and talked the talk, always burning the midnight oil.

Another place I often met Keith was at Epsom Race Course where free- flight aeromodellers always meet on the first Wednesday of the month. His modelling was excellent and detailed and there was one in particular, his Mick Farthing rubber powered lightweight, that really was light. Its' single blade propeller suffered with no vibration when it flew, unlike my attempts to emulate him. Keith was a strong supporter of the SMAE (later the ex secretary Roy Nudds named, the BMFA). We had lots of chat at the annual K2 indoor meeting in the sports hall held at Crawley in Sussex and always on the first Sunday of February. He trimmed a model so that it would win whatever competition he would be entering and I remember his wry smile when winning a gold place at Crawley this year.

Keith now joins the top modelling names in the business up above and I'll bet he's having a great time with Boddo (David Boddington), Henry J Nicholls, Ron Moulton and the rest. He leaves his wife Rita of 54 years and their two sons John and Richard. Should anyone wishing to go to Keith's funeral the details are that it will be held at the Kent & Sussex Crematorium at Tunbridge Wells at 3.30pm on Friday December 12. For those who (like me) rely on a Sat. Nav. for "getting there" the one to get to the Crematorium is TN2 5JJ. There is another thing to ask potential people attending that day is if you could be kind enough to let Mrs Rita Miller know that you would be interested in going to meet at a nearby pub afterwards so that she can have an idea of what size room to book in advance please. Mrs Millers address is 18 Bounds Oak Way, Southborough, Kent. TN4 0TX. Her telephone number is 01892 534974. She can also be reached by email on ; j.g.miller@btinternet.com

• Like 2

timboiow

Sad news indeed, and the comments above (which i would whole heartedly endorse too) are a testiment to what a great gentlemen Keith was, never without a cheery greeting. He was "Tonbridge" and "Towner Trophy" (and several other events over the years) for me, and the guys from the Island, and always did his best to arrange later slots in the first round of an event to give us time to get from the ferry to the comp which made things that bit less fraught. If there is a aeromodelling equivalent of "Saint" then he should be proposed for it.  I'm glad to have known him, may the winds remain light and the thermals plentiful for him now . RIP Keith

• Like 2

EricF
Like everyone who has posted here I am very sad to hear of Keith's death.

I spent a lovely morning with him last month at the Medway Club's indoor meeting at Chatham, chatting about all manner of aeromodelling subjects and harking back to the days when he and I used to be on the Kent Interclub and Barcs Open Soaring circuit back in the 1980's when I was a member of the East Kent Soaring Association. 

Like others I watched with admiration as he carefully trimmed out his 'Hanger Rat' to fly precisely within the small designated free flight area at the Medway Sports Centre. 

I was looking forward to seeing him there again next weekend but that is not to be. However I am sure that the organisers will mark his passing with a suitable period remembrance at some time during the event. He will be sadly missed.

Eric Friend.
  • Like 3