Sign in to follow this  
Skip

Solder tabs/tags

Skip

I will shortly .......... be soldering a couple of 18650's together to make a battery pack for my glider. Solder tabs have a few options.

How do I find out what weight tab (2.5g, 3g, up to 18g???) is appropriate for 2900mAh 3.7v cells times 2 in series to give 7.4v output.

Where can I get some that don't have to be shipped from HongKong or the States??

Ta very much

Clayt

f3fman

Do you need special tags ?

You only need wire that is as thick as any other wire (on your switch) that goes between your battery and the receiver, although I would normally use something a bit thicker.  A bit of 13Amp mains cable stripped down to one of the wires, and maybe with the insulation off depending on your needs, never bought a solder tag in my life.  8-)

• Like 2

satinet

I will shortly .......... be soldering a couple of 18650's together to make a battery pack for my glider. Solder tabs have a few options.

How do I find out what weight tab (2.5g, 3g, up to 18g???) is appropriate for 2900mAh 3.7v cells times 2 in series to give 7.4v output.

Where can I get some that don't have to be shipped from HongKong or the States??

Ta very much

Clayt

I got some 2900s that have tags on already.

oipigface

Mike Shellim has an excellent article on his website showing how to make up battery packs.

• Like 2

Skip

Ta very much!

Skip

Packs done! just waiting for some heat shrink to finish them off.

New charge regime embedded ..... hopefully.

evad

Mike Shellim has an excellent article on his website showing how to make up battery packs.

any chance for a link to this site ? as I'm interested to how they are made

thanks dave  

evad

thanks mike 

MikeDaBike

thanks mike 

Whereabouts do you fly btw ? You should come down and experience the wonders of Burton Dassett someday ;-)

Two typhoons in the SMSA too.

Mike

evad

Mike ,we mainly go up on honey hill at cold ashby, its not to far from us ,we have a flat field that we fly from when the weather lets us , also up to ivinghoe a couple of times, we have talked about trying out more sites but getting all three of us together and the weather right seems to be impossible at the moment 

dave 

satinet

I've decided on just using wires now. I think it's a bit easier as they are more flexible when you want to heat shrink the pack.  As John says there is no need to go thicker than the rest of your power wiring.

Here's one I did recently. I haven't put the balance plug on yet.

20150124_134859_zpson63wiur.jpg