F5J Pike

arthur

Hi

Please could some one tell me where in the UK I can get a Samba Electric Pike.I have looked at lots of internet info but can not find a sales outlet.

thanks for your time.

Arthur

• Administrators

Hi Arthur, welcome to the forums.

You have to go direct to Samba Model in the Czech Republic.

Arthur,

If you decide to go ahead and order your Pike, I would suggest you ask for the e fuselage to be built with the F3J lay up.

This will give you a much stronger fuselage with vey little increase in weight (or expense). 

I have friends that have gone with this spec and are pleased with the result, as the standard e fuzz can be rather fragile.....

Regards,

Cliff

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice .

When  I started my quest for the model I did not realise that the company was in the Czech Republic,  After 50 years of buying from the "local model shop", with the ability to easily send it back if it did not work, I find the idea of dealing in the C/R a bit daunting, It would be just my luck some country would invade them before my model arrived.

It was only when our field that we aero tow gliders from disappeared under water that a few of us decided to visit a recognised slope, where I watched one model fly rings around every thing else in the sky, and I decided I wonted one , after it landed it became evident to me that whilst I might be able to build !/4 scale gliders, I was not going to be able to build what turned out to be a Pike.

So began my search for information. Being realistic I  think I will keep a eye on the for sale column ( you never know) keep reading the glider magazines and see what  is available in  the UK,

Have a good Xmas .

Arthur

Which 'pike' was it?

The perfection is a light f3j type plane the precision is an f3b model.

There are lots of other pikes of previous generations such as the perfect and the superior.

Make sure you get the one you want. I wouldn't consider the perfection to be a slope model tbh.

F3 models come in many forms Arthur, from 1600 gram thistle down floaters to 2500 gram, with the capacity for that much in ballast again, double carbon skin hooligans. You have to decide what you are going to use it for and buy accordingly. On the up side F3 aeroplanes are very versatile.

As a  new member to this site I hope it is not out of order to keep this thread going ,but with each reply I receive I learn more.

The model I saw flown was a Pike precision, now the thought of launching a model like a Pike over a cliff and hoping there is enough lift around to get it back do`s not appeal to me ,so the thought at the time was, what that needs is an electric motor, just in case, and it could also be flown from a flat field. 

Back home I looked up the Samba site and find that such a model is available, they have a video showing their F5j roaring around a snow covered back ground, then coming in to land slowly enough for the pilot to catch it. 

And that' how the idea started.

You can get a electric version of the pike precision. The precision is a fast f3b/f3f model. Like I say 'pike' is non specific. Samba call all its models pike something

Welcome Arthur, just a small, but potentially important point, regarding electric gliders, and some of the sloping sites in the UK.

A lot of these sites are owned by the National Trust, and the NT have a standing rule that NO motorised gliders/planes can be flown from their properties. On the positive side, if you either remove the prop, or tape it down, all is OK.

The NT are trying to protect "Joe publics" right to a quiet walk :)   (not sure they have heard the noise my composite gliders can make, ever without power :o )

• Like 1