Wing Servos Not Square?

MooSe

Had to escape the Christmas claustrophobia so popped out to the garage for a nice cigar and started tinkering as you do...

So, I thought I'd check the quality of servo install in the wings of a Lesky Desire I picked up used a few months ago. Noticed the flap servo is toed out a few degrees towards the wingtip.

Strange thought I, maybe it was a quick hillside repair.? So I popped off the aileron cover and found it to be exactly the same. The install looks sound. Short servo arms, ground clevis, heatshrunk then glued servo, but.... Toed out and the rod is not square to the servo body or surface horn.

I'm guessing it's to reduce slop?

Anyone seen this before?

Sorry no photo, it really was a good cigar then I needed another crimbo drinky!

No, funnily enough I checked that a short while ago. Always easy to assume you square up against the control surface TE but in the case of most mouldies that would not be square to the horn.

The servos are not square to the wing TE hence the control rod is at an angle to the servo gears and surface horn.

No, funnily enough I checked that a short while ago. Always easy to assume you square up against the control surface TE but in the case of most mouldies that would not be square to the horn.

The servos are not square to the wing TE hence the control rod is at an angle to the servo gears and surface horn.

Did ya buy it off Peter,s and Lee model,s and installs? :)

Not being square can cause lots of extra wear on the holes. I have seen poor installs where the servo arms have snapped due to servos being installed off square. Take the clevis off the surface and see if it's under tension as the servo moves.

Since nothing in the installation seems to be square to anything else, I'd be ripping the servos out and fitting them properly.

Yeah I will be. I needed to get the flap servos better centred anyway.

I could understand one servo being skiwiff but when I found others like so I thought it was some strange trick??

I believe it was built in Germany.

All servos glued in at a wonky angle, thank god they have been at least heatshrunk then glued. Still got to dremmel off the old footprint.

Also found the servo arms at the wrong angles. That would account for the crappy throws.

Just goes to prove that it's always worth checking an install on a 2nd hand machine before chucking it off a cliff!

Note. The guy I bought it from here didn't build it.

Another note. When folk buy a used machine is it acceptable to pull off servo covers to check the quality of installation?

I'll be looking for a 2nd hand F3F/b model hopefully in February and can't be arsed to redo a full wing fitout again if it's not right. Haven't got the time these days.

When folk buy a used machine is it acceptable to pull off servo covers to check the quality of installation?

I'll be looking for a 2nd hand F3F/b model hopefully in February and can't be arsed to redo a full wing fitout again if it's not right. Haven't got the time these days.

Yes. Of course it is. Your experience with your Pace tells you why. Even better: Ask the seller to pull off the servo covers. Saves you the effort of doing it yourself.

• Like 2

I have said before that not all models are created equal.. I would be prepared to replace any installation on a second hand model if it didn't meet appropriate standards.

Buy second hand from known quality builders or consider them as component ready.

And be prepared to pay a fair price for a well prepared model

• Like 2