Sign in to follow this  
Gary B

'Soarer' magazine archive

Gary B

Hi folks, hope you are keeping warm!

I learned during a committee meeting late last year that a complete set of BARCS newsletters and 'Soarer' magazines were being held in the BMFA archive at Chacksfield House.

Permission was granted for me to collect and digitally scan them and return the collection. I popped up to Leicester today and collected four box files containing 160+ editions dating back to 1972.

Most are in A5 format with the last editions (in 2008) being A4. I won't be scanning all the pages as there are personal addresses and telephone numbers and a fair amount of not entirely interesting content (lots of debate over contest rules for instance!).

The intention is to place them here on the BARCS website for download, quite how best to do that I need to work out with Austin.

There are some very useful and interesting articles (glider repairs etc), model reviews and more.

Robin Sleight had produced a summary index in Word format which he has agreed would be a start, the file should be attached to this post.

If anyone would like a particular article scanning then please ping me and I will do my best.

Cheers

Gary

Inventory of BARCS Newsletters.doc

• Like 2

Gary B

Just to note that we do have the last seven editions on the site already on this page.  

February 2008 - Issue 162 was the last paper version.

GB

pete beadle

Well done Gary

I too have an almost complete set, in "Soarer" binders in my workshop

Having an index for it will be great!

Keep up the good work

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Gary B

Cheers.

I am juggling with scanner resolution settings to find a good compromise between quality, file size and scanning speed.

It certainly won't be a five minute job!!

GB

pete beadle

Hi Gary

If I wrere you I wouldn't worry too much about how sharp the pics are

A mate of mine copied the full set of "Inspector Morse" cassettes onto DVDs a while back - PERFECT replicas of the "muddy" cassettes........!

It's what we were used to back in the day

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Scram

Hi Gary,  I think you are not far from me.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 which has a doc feeder and will scan to .pdf directly.

Would you like some help?

Gary B

Thanks for the offer, that's a posh scanner!

All the volumes are stapled and I won't disturb them, I think the doc feeder would need single sheets?

I have two scanners, the best one is an Epson V300 which is quite good (on loan from a friend), it can scan to PDF.

We are in the same county but opposite ends!

Scram
On 22/01/2015 at 11:12, Gary B said:

Thanks for the offer, that's a posh scanner!

All the volumes are stapled and I won't disturb them, I think the doc feeder would need single sheets?

I have two scanners, the best one is an Epson V300 which is quite good (on loan from a friend), it can scan to PDF.

We are in the same county but opposite ends!

Cheers, not that posh!!  but works well.

Yeees.  Long county.  Just let me know if necessary.

Gary B

Apologies for the delay folks.

I am scanning and uploading backwards chronologically.

With any luck the following links should work.

Soarer 164 Nov 2008

Soarer 163 Aug 2008

Soarer 162 Feb 2008

Soarer 161 Nov 2007

Soarer 160 July 2007

Soarer 159 Apr 2007

Soarer 158 Feb 2007

Soarer 157 Nov 2006

Soarer 156 July 2006

Soarer 158 is a new scan (was missing from the copies that we did have hosted on the BARCS website), Soarer 156 was scanned today, has an interesting article on the design of the Pike Perfect by Philip Kolb, Radioglide 2006 report and F3K Interglide report.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Gary B

Soarer 155 Apr 2006

2006 league events and scores, 'Valkyrie' canard plan build glider article by Robin Sleight and NAN Xperience Pro build and review by Brian Johnson.

GB

Gary B

Soarer 154 Feb 2006

34th BARCS AGM minutes, competing with classic/RES gliders, Sky Bench Legionair build and review by Robin Sleight, winter postals results and an article on 'how to look for lift' by Jef Ott.

EssexBOF

I have a few copies of the White Sheet newsletter that might be of interest to put on the net.

Shame they ceased when Sean Walbank packed up.

Gary B

We've got the drive space sorted out and I've got the hang of scanning, uploading and linking so no reason why it can't be done at some stage.

Soarer 153 Nov 2005

Winter postal rules, summer postal results. Interglide F3J and F3K results, BMFA Nationals, Bromley and Tonbridge Open results. Scottish Nationals, F3J league report and results, RAM 2 altimeter review and 'Fly more!...Achieve more!' article by Martin Godden.

Gromit
On 17/02/2015 at 10:04, EssexBOF said:

I have a few copies of the White Sheet newsletter that might be of interest to put on the net.

Shame they ceased when Sean Walbank packed up.

Brian,

As a Committee member of the Whitesheet RFC I would be very interested to hear as to which copies you have of 'The Whitesheet' mag. I am trying to source as many of these mags as possible, scan them & make them available to download. The mags are an invaluable source of the history of the Whitesheet RFC.  I will of course return the mags to you.

During last year Pete Beadle very kindly donated/ provided me with 24 pristine condition copies that he had of the Whitesheet mag, these were a fantastic start to this project.  

I look forward to hearing from you as to which copies you have.

Stu,  Whitesheet Comp Sec

Gary B

Soarer 152 July 2005

Lots of competition results! Radioglide report, 'Big Un!' open soarer 3-view, BARCS records and an article on how to fly a Graphite 'D' box without tip panels! :D

EssexBOF

Steve

The issue I have are most likely what Pete gave you, however they are 83,88,89,90,91,92,93,96 &97.

pete beadle

Hi Gary

As I said in my post (#3) I have got most of the A5 size Soarers They are in binders and available if you need them

I tend to read the older ones in the weeks before "ISA Nostalgia Day" (3rd Saturday in September) to get some inspiration regarding which models to take myself on the day

As you probably know I also lend out "nostalgic" planes to people who want to attend the nostalgia day but don't feel the plane they have is suitable

At present I'm working on a John Shaw "Proton", a "Hi-Phase" (currently just a fuselage)and a brand new "Calypso Contest" I've found - that should raise a few eyebrows! 

Keep up the good work!

BTW Planes I have ? - MPX Alpina Mk 1, Veron Vortex (2), Graupner Cirrus and Cirrus 75, Veron Impala, EMP Halton Special (2), Proton 140 (2), Graupner Amigo, Trilogy 100", Bird of Time (2) John Hall Diamond 120, EMP Algebra 2.5, Ridge Racer, Kamco Kittihawk - for the windy days!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Gary B

Thanks Pete, I'm pretty sure that I have a complete set.

Not much building going on here, I have the 'Medicine Man' to finish and an Xtra Wot that needs painting when it warms up.

GB

EssexBOF
On 17/02/2015 at 11:02, Gromit said:

Brian,

As a Committee member of the Whitesheet RFC I would be very interested to hear as to which copies you have of 'The Whitesheet' mag. I am trying to source as many of these mags as possible, scan them & make them available to download. The mags are an invaluable source of the history of the Whitesheet RFC.  I will of course return the mags to you.

During last year Pete Beadle very kindly donated/ provided me with 24 pristine condition copies that he had of the Whitesheet mag, these were a fantastic start to this project.  

I look forward to hearing from you as to which copies you have.

Stu,  Whitesheet Comp Sec

Whatever happened to Sean Walbank, as he just disappeared from the scene?. Excellent mag he got together  with lots of info in them at the time.

pete beadle

Hi Brian

SeanW re-surfaced on Stu (Gromit)s original posting re the White Sheet Mags

He used to be a senior lecturer/teacher at Sherbourne (school I believe

But yes, he certainly knew how to put a magazine together!

Almost as good as Grahame Woods efforts in the "Beacon", now they were excellent!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702