Sign in to follow this  
evad

smashed my typhoon help and ideas needed

John T

There is also a company on a well known auction site doing it by the metre.... a bit late now yet always worth having a metre in the repairs box.

evad

There is also a company on a well known auction site doing it by the metre.... a bit late now yet always worth having a metre in the repairs box.

thanks John , i did have a look on that site , but could't find anything smaller than 100 meter rolls . I must of looked on the wrong day

cheers dave  

evad

after a couple of hours the resin in the pot had hardened up , so off came the tape , here's the results a few wayward strands , I'm happy with it so far .

dave 

John T

That reminds me, another good item to have in the repairs box is carbon fibre tape around 50mm wide to avoid the loose edge strands.

Makes application of small repairs a lot easier as you epoxy the centre only and then sand off the non-epoxied taped edges.

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/carbon-fibre-reinforcement/carbon-fibre-tape-plain-weave-232g-50mm.aspx

oipigface

Looks like a good job, Dave!

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Carbon is harder to get neat than Glass.

Cutting it into patches I have run a thin line of cyano along before cutting. Then cut it back to almost remove all the Cyano before using.

Masking tape is another alternative, stick to one side before cutting.

Still prefer Glass  ;)  for most jobs.

Rob Thomson

My very sinilar repair on my glider..

Step one I reinforced the breaks with glass tape and pound land tool box cyno (surprisingly this cyclo is quite easy to sand).

This rough was theb sanded until paper thin - just enough to keep the structure form falling apart.

Rob Thomson

I then carbon wrapped both breaks with about 2 inches overlap.

Followed up with loads of sanding.

The picture shows the result with a layer of grey primer that is being used go help me sand out any bumps!

heli_bee

Dave,

I like the look of the 'X stands' that the fuselage is sitting on. Any chance of a photo, or two, of the stand on its own?

Martin.

evad

its set up nice and hard now ,  seems to be a good strong repair , using the tape has left bit of a bumpy finish so I'll try a bit of sanding to try and even things up , but to be honest I'm not after a pro finish , I'm just glad its back together

so a big thank you go's out to all that have helped me get to this stage , cheers guys :thumbsup:

Rob ,  your repair looks better than mine , keep posing your progress 

dave 

heli_bee

Dave,

Many thanks. I have just ordered one!

Martin.

isoaritfirst

using insulation tape does leave ridges where the epoxy is squeezed. Give it a real good sand. It will all come out.worst case just sand and add a further thin layer of glass and, or epoxy. I think it's a nicer way than using a filler.

• Like 1

Rob Thomson

Yup... but it depends a bit on how much you have to fill.

If the fill is large... your method is much better. For small defects.. I like filler.

Regardless.. sanding out ridges is by far the best solution.

evad

well the typhoon is back in one piece for the first time since the crash , I still need to sort out the wing joiner holes and fix the small amount of damage to the wing , but seeing it like this is a great boost for me . eye balling it , everything looks to be straight and in line .   

dave 

• Like 2

John T

Looking good.

A nice black squirl spray job over the fuz repair and it will match the pattern on the wings :)

The hardest thing i have found isn't the repair itself, yet getting the paint to match/blend with the original.

bogbrush

John, good point:

Does anyone know the RAL paint codes used by RCRM? or colours that do match ?

Ive got a busted dark red typhoon that i'll get round to fixing at some point, so any matching colours would be appreciated :-)

bogbrush

Thanks... a small trick that I find works well.

get something like this.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171663772692&alt=web

It can really male the smooth out job just a little easier!

similar to the holts knifing putty at Halfords i think ? or what Paul naton refers to as Acryl Glazing putty in his repair lab DVD's. essentially: very fine, so easy to apply in a thin layer, dries hard and doesnt crack as it dries.

bogbrush

Well, after all this chat I thought i'd jump on the bandwagon and repair my old broken typhoon fuselage (at the time I just bought another one, thinking ill mend the broken one, one day and keep it as a spare). 

Here's the damage: a nasty break runnning at an angle from just behind the trailing edge at the base of the fuselage to about an inch further forward than the trailing edge on the top of the fuselage.

When I looked inside, I was pretty shocked to see areas where the carbon cloth had holes in it during the layup.