Swift 3.19m - Oh nooo, another project on the work bench ...

chiloschista

chiloschista

The fuselage got its servos base plate.

5mm thick plywood, glued in place with 5min epoxy, gaps filled with 24h epoxy, charged with cotton flocks and thyxotropic agent and finally reinforced with 163g/m² fiberglass and 24h epoxy.

P1040424.JPG

P1040425.JPG

Servos screws location got some slow epoxy also to harden the wood.

Ric

chiloschista

Hello,

I put under stress the CAD and router, just to have four wing servo trays all exactly the same ...P1040429.JPG

Work to install them followed ...

P1040433.JPG

P1040431.JPG

P1040432.JPGP1040434.JPG

chiloschista

At the second attempt I got flaps and ailerons control horns as planned.

Flaps have a negative offset of 25° to help for crow function, ailerons have no offset.

Mhmm, I'm spending too much time on those details (only one week left before leaving :o).

RicP1040436.JPG

• 1 month later...
chiloschista

Hi ensemble,

the Swift was also finished at Pitton Cross campsite. The first test flight was at Rhossili.

We had to decide who would be the test pilot and who the launcher. Decision was simple: my son is able to test it but not to launch such a big and heavy plane, so he pilots and me launch.

I set the plane with a static margin of 3%. But as he was the test pilot I did not dare setting the longitudinal dihedral at zero, as it should be for such a static margin and a wanted Cl of 0.1, I did set the LD at 1°. Definitely too much, the plane did climb at launch and had to be trimmed down. I have to correct it and trust more calculations :).

Hinge at bottom revealed to be a good solution for full down flaps and without noticeable counter effects.

Roll rate is amazing in normal mode with ailerons only, with full span controls is really quick.

Pitch rate is sensible due to low static margin and rudder seems effective also.

A video is coming.

Ric

U-QOlpOaUCzA5uoZh7KNoAGrjWT2jvpTpFRy33xi

P1040529.JPG

P1040538.JPG

P1040562.JPG

Edited by chiloschista
  • Like 2

A detail about balance: that glider needs 800g of nose ballast.

800g of lead? No way!

I put a 1 liter fuel tank in the nose, there is plenty of space, filled with the right amount of water and filled the rest with pieces of XPS.

A little bit more ecological and less poisonous, just don't drink it after a hard walk to the slope :P

Ric

Congratulations to the builder and pilot !

Highly appropriate for your son to be flying the maiden flight - it is his plane - isn't it?

Nose weight - beach pebbles are ecological and cheap - you did bring some nice ones home with you from the beach, along with the shells? - I had to buy a bag of them in London for my Swift.

Phil.

• Like 1

Ha, ha Phil, no pebbles nor shells, there aren't at Rhossili Beach.

I did bring a jellyfish instead: it's big and will adapt in the nose of the Habicht :P

lai-kbCVTeKSfcpiPT-GetPGSiUWjvJe0yuyhBkg

Strange there were several beached the first day we went to the beach, with the sand full of algae and debris. The day after it was perfectly clean. I was impressed with the beach cleaning service ...

Ric

P.s.: ... and for those taking me seriously no, I did not bring anything. But the jellyfishes were really there. Does anyone know the sort (diameter about 40-60cm)?

• Like 1

• Rhizostoma pulmo, commonly known as the barrel jellyfish

Thanks!

I like the italian name: polmone di mare (sea lung). They can reach 10kg and seems very common in Mediterranean sea.

I did several years of scuba diving, but I never saw one, did even not know they exist <_<.

Probably because I did dive the most in Swiss (cold) lakes and (more cold) rivers.

Ric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

one of the last days of our trip, we went to Bopeep and Telesforo was able to do a couple of more flights with the Swift, starting to check aerobatics performances.

I had a short moment of incertitude (at 50"), when he aborted a half cuban eight, doing an English bunt near the slope. But seems the training with the Minivec was helpful, ouff :blink:

Ric

P.s.: the entire flight was done in normal mode flight controls (short throws and only ailerons to roll). Just the roll at the end was in acro mode with high rate controls (ailerons and flaps to roll both with long throws). He was surprised by the roll speed and did exceed the roll by 1/4 before stopping it.

Edited by chiloschista
  • Like 1