John H

Original Sean Bannister Algebra VIII

John H

I just wanted as many interested people as possible know that I have just placed on eBay an original, unflown, Sean Bannister Algebra VIII F3B 100 inch glider. I fly F5J and was planning on sawing the front of and adding a motor.  But common sense got the better of me, I hadn’t the heart to disfigure such a piece of history.  Not only that it never would have been competitive these days!

post-3306-0-49821600-1424383042_thumb.jp post-3306-0-01642400-1424383138_thumb.jp

• Like 2

EssexBOF

Yes leave it as it is as you say it would not compete today by the time you have added the motor battery etc due to the weight I guess would be quite high.

Pete Beadle might be interested for his collection :drool:

pete beadle

Hi Brian

Pete Beadle has already sent a PM to the seller thank you, but he's waiting to see how it does on E-Bay so he couldn't give me a price for this one until he gets all the bids in there........

I have actually got an Algebra 8 already but that needs finishing so it's "in the job queue"

Recently appearing out of the job queue is my "Watts Up" so that's now sat next to my "Alacrity" waiting for the dates for the Bartletts League events........ over to you

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

PeteMitchell
On 23/02/2015 at 10:25, pete beadle said:

Recently appearing out of the job queue is my "Watts Up" so that's now sat next to my "Alacrity" waiting for the dates for the Bartletts League events........ over to you

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Have a look in the Event Calendar in the blue header at the top of this page.

pete beadle

Thanks Pete

So, first round at Bartletts on 29th March

I'll  put it on my calendar - IN RED

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

EssexBOF

Thanks Pete

So, first round at Bartletts on 29th March

I'll  put it on my calendar - IN RED

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Unless we get some very dry weather, I cannot see the event on the 29th March being on. Went over on Friday and there is no way you can drive onto the field at the moment, shame as it will throw things out of kilter yet again.

Robin Sleight

May be worth a measure as I believe  (and I have Sean's mini plan) the original Algebra 8 was about 110" in span rather than 100.  Of course a custom made set of wings for that fuselage would have made it a 100" glider but the canopy air brake would have disqualified it as a 100S model. 

Robin

Jef Ott

On 26/02/2015 at 19:28, Robin Sleight said:

...but the canopy air brake would have disqualified it as a 100S model. 

Robin

Really, Robin?

I have scoured the rule book for mention of the outlawing of a canopy air brake (as I had often thought that it would be a good idea). Can't find anything that currently suggests that.

Straight from the BARCS 2015 rules...

"3. 100S Definitions

In addition to conforming to the general model requirements, an 100S model must meet the following criteria:

a) Maximum projected span of wing 100".

b ) Directional control shall be by the use of rudder and elevator only.

c) The use of airbrakes or spoilers, excluding any such device used additionally for directional control or camber changing devices giving altered lift generation, shall be permitted.

d) Models using a flying wing or canard configuration are exempt from the wing control surface restrictions in rule above."

Was there a previous rule that has been written out (either intentionally, or otherwise)?

I need to know these things (and all model type rules) if I am to be the CD for RadioGlide's MLG event.

Jef

PS Moderators, please can you move this to a more appropriate area of the forum?

Cliff H

Jef, I think the relative words in Robins post are:  "would have". 

As at the time the Algebras were the thing to be using, brakes or spoilers were not allowed in 100s.

I remember, around that time, turning up at a 100s comp with a semi scale 100 incher.

The scale detail and weathering was painted onto the covering, this included something that represented brakes.

After being reported by 'fellow' competitors, I was amused to be summoned to the irate CD,  who insisted that the brakes had to be taped up if I wished to take part in the comp!!

That was at South Marston airfield, Swindon.  Which was bought by Honda in 1985 to build their car production plant.

I imagine there are a few on this forum that would have enjoyed flying there in the past - happy days!

Regards,

Cliff

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Jef and all

Another thing that may have been missed was that the original owner/seller(?) described the Algebra VIII as a F3B 100" glider

The accent should have been on the 8's F3B pedigree not the 100" approximate wingspan, I feel......

F3B being "full house" not RES should have given the clue(!) .......also the beige case "M" series servo operating the canopy brake - complete with square output shaft, s-l-o-w operating speed and, I think, possibly, a distinct lack of ailerons.......

A "sports" copy rather than an original "8" F3B - still, the blue colour was certainly correct, Sean's F3B "8" was that colour, if nothing else!

....a bit like " When does a Caterham become a Lotus "7"? - answers on a postcard to -

The Chief Rivet Counter, Toomuchtimeonhishands, Erewhon

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

f3fman
On 27/02/2015 at 22:12, Cliff H said:

Jef, I think the relative words in Robins post are:  "would have". 

As at the time the Algebras were the thing to be using, brakes or spoilers were not allowed in 100s.

I remember, around that time, turning up at a 100s comp with a semi scale 100 incher.

The scale detail and weathering was painted onto the covering, this included something that represented brakes.

After being reported by 'fellow' competitors, I was amused to be summoned to the irate CD,  who insisted that the brakes had to be taped up if I wished to take part in the comp!!

That was at South Marston airfield, Swindon.  Which was bought by Honda in 1985 to build their car production plant.

I imagine there are a few on this forum that would have enjoyed flying there in the past - happy days!

Regards,

Cliff

I used to fly there by invitation of the Vickers club, it wasn't too far away from our Marlborough club, gentle towing of my Graupner Hi Fly  8-)

My nephew works at the Honda plant now !

John H

Hi all, thanks for your interesting comments on the Algebra I'm selling, you obviously all know more about this than me! 

I have measured the span, the wings are 50inch each, and the fus adds another 2 ¾ inch to the overall span.

On the original drawing by Sean that I have for a built up wing the length of each wing is 1358mm (=53.5inch).  The wings I have are foam cored.

As I have mentioned somewhere else it was owned by a friend who bought it from Sean when he was selling them a few (Fus and foam wings) to members of a London club. My friend was having a clear out recently and I offered to finish it for him and fly it electric, but we decided in the end that it was a shame to saw the nose of so it’s up for sale, hopeful to someone that will appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Jef Ott

Thanks for the enlightenment.

After spoilers were allowed, I started competing with 100"S models. That was in the nineties, and I never knew that spoilers were originally disallowed, but suspected that may have been the case - hence my first comment in this thread.

The lack of descent control does explain the rather unusual (large) landing area in the 100"S rules... which despite the size, some people whose models were fitted with brakes could still miss  :blush:

See you all at RG 2015

Jef

modelplans

Hi guys

Would anyone have either a plan or drawings for the Algebra 8? I have them for the 800 and 1000 from Edmonds model products but can't find one for the mk8

Any help would be welcome. Email files are fine or I can scan and return a plan.

Thanks, Derick

Robin Sleight

Hi Derick,

The original Algebra VIII plan was simply a sheet of foolscap  paper.  I think that I have a copy and will dig it out and (as and when I find it) I could scan and email to you.

Robin

Robin Sleight

Hi (again) Derick,

Success, I found the original (Sean Bannister drawn) plan for the Algebra VIII.  As I recalled, it is a (faded) foolscap page which assumes that you already have the (John Hall produced)  glass fibre fuselage.  As it is foolscap and my scanner is A4, I will scan it in two bits which can be joined together.  If you give me an email address I will forward these scanned images to you.

Robin

Erik Dahl Christensen

Hi Robin, Is it possible to get a copy af the plan for the Algebra VIII. If the fuse is not drawn, perhaps with some measurements of different lengths and widths of the fuse, to make a lost-foam- copy?

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely

Erik Dahl Christensen

pete beadle

Hi Erik

I'm sorry to tell you that, sadly, Robin has passed away since he wrote the posting to you back in March

If all else fails, I was speaking to Sean this weekend, and could ask him if he has a copy of the old A5 size plan

I remember the A5 plan had a side view of the original Algebra 8 fuselage outline, and could probably allow you to take measurements off the scale plan, if that might help

Also, I have a good friend who also has an Algebra 8 fuselage, he's currently re-furbing it.......perhaps I could put you in touch with him

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Erik Dahl Christensen

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry to hear that. I would be greatfull to get the old plan i some format, and also to behlped to get in contact with someone who cold take measurements of the fuselage and maybe details of the wingplanform and tail. TIA.

I found Clive B Halls contact in another forum, and mailed him. As I understand, he prodced the fuselages way back then?.

Thanks for the help.

Yours sincerely

Erik

heli_bee

Hi Erik,

I could well be interested in an Algebra 8 fuselage. If you can find some decent details of the shape I may have a go making a fuselage plug.

My first proper glider used one of these fuselages and some home made foam wings.

Martin.