Sign in to follow this  
Skip

Wiring a new wing

Skip

Quick and easy question. Might have a less quick and easy answer!!

Is anyone using silicone wire for the power supply and return for their servos in their new installations in moulded racer type wings?

If so, where do you get it and what guage (correct term?) do you get.

Do you also just strip some normal servo wire to get the signal wire or can you buy that individually?

Thanks for your help.

Clayt

satinet

Why would you not use normal servo wire in the wing?

22awg or so.

Skip

I don't know? I guess that was part of my question. Is it necessary? I'll be putting HV servos in and running 2 cell LiIon batteries.

Do the large scale power or jet jockeys use standard servo wire? If they do, then I'm sure I can!

satinet

No they probably use 2.5mm twin and earth with double redundancy flux capacitors. Then film half an hour fannying about in the pitd before a 30 second flight and crash. Sane people should stick to servo wire!

Hv doesn't mean more amps per se (amp capacity is what you are talking about). In fact a hv servo could be lower amp for the same power as a normal servo.

Imagine a servo draws 5watts. Now watts (amount of work basically) is volts x amps. So a 8.4v servo could draw less amps for the same watts than say a servo running at 4.8v if they both used the same watts.

Obviously in servo terms there are lots of different types (some hv servos are power hungry) but anything that can go in a glider wing can use normal servo wire.

• Like 3