BMFA F3F League 2 whitesheet Sunday 26th April 2015

Martin_N

Hi All, 

Registration is now open and will be completed through the link attached below, entry will close at 10pm on Wednesday 22nd April Unless otherwise notified.

Registration Form: http://goo.gl/forms/1K6kSMpv8D

Entry for BMFA contests has remained the same at £10 per pilot.

As per all 1 day contests,a weather call will be made on Friday evening around 8pm and WILL be the local CD's decision. This information will be made available on BARCS and through F3Fyahoo group email.

Hopefully the weather will be on our side for the next league event number 2.

Thanks

Martin

I have added another sheet to the BMFA registration list form.  If you wish to view your entry, make sure you select the correct sheet.  

On desktop PC's the tabs are at the bottom and on iPad's its at the top.  I've not checked it from android phones.

Thanks for all your support.

Martin

Hi All,

Reminder for registration BMFA F3F League 2, registration closes at 10pm this Wednesday please get your entries in before then.

Thanks

Martin

Hi All,

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

I have been in communication with Whitesheet and currently the weather is suggesting we will be unable to hold a contest at Whitesheet due to Wind direction.  I do however have the option to move the event to Wales.

I will keep you all updated and post this evening on weather call and location.

I have reopened registration in case people that haven't entered wish to.

Thanks

Martin

Just trying to get us all flying :)

As the Whitesheet Comp sec I'd like to just add to Martins above post.

Having spoken to Martin several times this week regarding the forecast for Sunday, and my today getting the thoughts of several regular Whitesheet F3f pilots regarding the forecast N wind direction, my decision at this time is that the continued forecast of a true N means that unfortunately the comp will have to be called off. 

For those of you who don't know the Whitesheet slopes very well, if at all, a northerly blows straight down the spine between our NW & NE slope, this makes flying on either slope very crossed, turbulent, unpleasant and certainly unsuitable for racing.

I believe therefore that if Martin is able to organise on our behalf, the option of moving the venue to Wales we should fully back, thank & help Martin in doing so.

Stu,Whitesheet Comp Sec

Edited by Gromit
  • Like 3

Hi All,

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

I have been in communication with Whitesheet and currently the weather is suggesting we will be unable to hold a contest at Whitesheet due to Wind direction.  I do however have the option to move the event to Wales.

I will keep you all updated and post this evening on weather call and location.

I have reopened registration in case people that haven't entered wish to.

Thanks

Martin

Just trying to get us all flying :)

I'm currently working on a pass out. Wish me luck

• Like 1

Hi All,

Stuart has contacted me to confirm that Whitesheet will be a no go for Sunday due to the wind direction, therefore based on this I will move the contest to Wales and call the competition ON.

Meet will be between 8:30 and 9am at the WRECKER car park on Sunday, if you are unable to make it to Wales can you please drop me a mail martinnewnham@btinternet.com 

I will continue to keep the registration open until noon tomorrow at which point I will NOT accept anymore entries.

Thank you

Martin

• Like 4

I'm currently working on a pass out. Wish me luck 😳

​Chicken Pox stops play :/  Have a good one guys.  Let us know how you are all getting on.

Joel

Edited by jwest532

Many thanks to Martin for his work in organising the switch of venue to Wales due to the unfavourable wind direction forecast for Whitesheet.

Thankyou too to Martin & Clayton for Cd'ing the comp, and to John '31' Treble for being buzzer 'supremo', a great job by you all :thumbsup:.

It was a 'Cracking' comp on the VR slope at the Bwlch, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. As well as the flying itself, it was so good to get back on the slope again & enjoy the great company, banter & friendship between everyone.

For me personally, the day started well by just getting myself there without ending up on the back of a breakdown truck & being taken back home. Having only flown the once in the past 8 weeks I was very pleased with my flying and result, I managed two sub 40's & came away in 10th place.

Highlight though for me without doubt was witnessing John Treble fly his 'Cracking' 31. Straight from the launch John flew superbly, as each leg passed with John nailing the bases everyone new that he was on for something very special, the roar that went went up when John completed his run & the time announced was terrific. A very well done John, its a well deserved reward for all the effort you have put into your flying these past yrs :thumbsup:.

Not to be outdone, Mark Treble twice beat his previous PB, the quickest being a 33.31.

Congratulations to Simon on his win, Mark Treble on being runner up & to Mark Redsell on his 3rd place.

Stu.

Edited by Gromit
  • Like 3

I'm hearing that Treble Senior had a good day :)

​Well, it is true that Treble Senior had a good - nay, 'cracking' - 61.57 seconds. The rest of the day was the usual Treble Senior!  There still seems to be a lot of work to do, before I can regularly place well. After all, I won a round (I think by quite a large margin), and still placed 13th!

All I can remember about the run is the plane rising from Mark's launch. I thought, 'I'm not going to bother p i s s ing about with pumps', and just let it keep going up in the thermal. I don't remember anything after that until Martin said: '31.57', and I said 'What? Are you sure?' (three times).

Didn't Mark do well, though?

Thanks to all for your congratulations and support, and for buzzing when asked.

Incidentally, I've been quiet until now because there has been a problem for some forum members in replying to threads. I pointed this out to Austin this morning, and he's spent a substantial chunk of the morning sorting it out. So - let's hear it for Austin, without whom.....

• Like 1

I would also like to congratulate the mighty John Treble, I think we all took a few steps back and were hoping that he would complete the 10 laps given the near supersonic speed the Pitbull was going, and when it did the almighty cheer of congratulation. It was all deserved 31.xx after a display of accurate , controlled and fast flying, well done John. Being buzzer supremo clearly didn't affect your flying!

I would also like to thank Martin and Skip for making the call to host the event in Wales, it turned out to be a good day. It was warm (ish) , I think we got 8 or 9 rounds in and although the conditions were variable I don't recall the comp stopping. I think everyone had an enjoyable day

Also congrats to the top 3

Martin

• Like 2

Biggest thermal I've seen in f3f - no pumping required! Extremely well flown John - it takes some skill to step up to that pace from the average air in earlier runs.

Good call to move it Martin. Guess the Wales comp will be at Whitesheet?

• Like 4

Gone in 31 seconds

:)

​For those of you who weren't there, Jon looked just as 'cool' about/after just getting his 31.57 as he does enjoying his ice cream B), I think he's planning to go Sub 30 very soon :blink:

Stu.

Edited by Gromit

Sorry it has taken me a little white to cobble this together, I was a bit knackered yesterday and was at work til gone 8 tonight.

The results spreadsheet is available on the GBSRA website and my report is on my blog here. I had a fantastic day and just want to thank everyone for coming along and especially thank Martin for all his hard work and dedication to getting us all flying.

I'd really like to add a couple of photos to the report if anyone has any that they would like to display. I don't make any money from the blog, so can't pay you for them though. I didn't get a chance to take any pics or vids.

For those who don't like to follow links:

After much deliberation and consultation by our trusty League co-ordinator, the excellent decision was made to shift the 2nd round of the 2015 BMFA Summer League from an unflyable Whitesheet to the Bwlch in Wales. The forecast looked very promising with clear skies and a decent blow on the VR slope.

We were greeted at the Bwlch by drizzle and a very week breeze. Where did that come from?!?

Fortunately the drizzle didn’t stick around for long and 20 pilots got the competition underway in what we hoped were building conditions. The first round was a bit pedestrian with only a handful of pilots carding times under 50 seconds with Mark Redsell making the best of the tricky conditions to take the round with a time of 48.28. The ground in the valley hadn’t warmed up yet, so a spread of 11 seconds across the 20 pilots was as close as the gap from first to last got. The thermic influence was yet to come!

When it came, it came with a BANG!! I’m not sure if I have seen such variability in a comp before. In most rounds, the gap from first to last was around 20 seconds but the biggest gap was 53 seconds.

Round 2 saw Simon Thornton take the honours from Graeme Mahoney with 41.05 and the ground was starting to warm up a little, giving us little ‘love puffs’ to play with and tease us with regards to ballast. I chose to leave mine in all day, except for one round, which was empty. The thing about CD-ing is, you just don’t get any time to adjust anything! I can’t remember which round it was, but I popped a flap servo out and Simon Thornton took my place in the centre to enable me to glue it back in and a massive thanks to him for that.

Mark Redsell took round 3 from a hard charging Ronnie Lampe. Both their Freestylers were looking fabulous all day. The Thermals still hadn’t really materialised and we were yet to see a sub 40 run with 41.39 taking the round.

The 4th round saw the first evidence of a proper thermal with Mark Redsell scoring a 36.74 to take the round from Simon, Graeme, Mark T and Martin Newnham. Martin had a bit of a day to forget really. He was in obvious discomfort with a sore back, didn’t get much luck with the thermal lottery and was stuck in the centre too! His Freestyler looked great though!

Round 5 saw Martin Drewett and his Pitbull take the win with a brilliant 36.41 run beating Neal Shead and his PB of 38.07. Andy Burgoyne had a fantastic run with his Drops 277 to take 3rd in that round. I think it was this round that I had a booming thermal and managed to cut about half way through the run and perform the world’s worst recovery to kill all the speed and ruin a potential PB by at least 10 seconds.

Round 6 started with Martin Drewett getting another blistering time and setting a 36.17 as the early benchmark. Tony Livingstone fell just short with a 37.42 then up stepped the irrepressible, undeterrable John Treble. I was walking back to the pits after another mid 40 run to see Johns Pitbull being sucked straight out of Mark’s hand into the stratosphere in the mother of all thermals. Everyone’s eyes were glued to the spec with fingers crossed in nervous anticipation as John slammed the Pitbull through its paces and scraped the bases for a beautifully flown 31.67 seconds of screaming ecstasy!! The cheer that erupted for John after that flight was immense and I won’t forget it for ages. That was the flight of the day for me. It must have ignited the afterburners under Mark Treble too.

No Son likes being beaten by their Dad. It’s a man thing. Mark bounced into the centre of the course as a juicy thermal arrived with fire in his eyes and set off in pursuit of a time better than 31.67. He came so close and squeezed what he could out of his Toxic and the thermal to card a personal best 33.31 and win the 7th round from Martin Newnham and Tony. Martin almost smiled after that flight! Graeme Mahoney had been having a stellar day at the races until this round. He had to use some antigravity magic to keep his Jedi Space Lift aloft for the 87 seconds it took to complete the 1km course.

Mark Treble tried again in the 8th round. He took the round win from Tony and Ronnie but 34.08 wasn’t fast enough for him. Tony and Ronnie were rocketing up the leader board with some excellent flights! Andy Burgoyne copped the brunt of the dead air before a thermal in this round.

The 9th round was to be our final round. The winning time was 40.18 by Simon followed closely by Martin Drewett and Mark Redsell. The air had died for the start of the 10th round and it was pretty uncomfortable watching Stuart Wallace fighting to stave off a dreaded land out and the unanimous decision to call it a day was made. I had no idea who had won overall as so many different pilots had good flights and bad flights.

It was awesome to see Vic Eldridge at an F3F comp. I hadn’t seen Vic for ages and was chuffed to see him throwing his Elita about the place! It was also a shame to see him park it early on in the comp and sit the rest of the day out. A special mention goes to Neal Shead for popping his ‘Bwlch F3F’ cherry. He flew his Strega very well and went sub 40 for the first time with a new PB of 38.07! I’m sure he won’t forget this event for some time! Ian Falconer managed to caress his Jedi around the course in 42.94 in his second F3F outing to the Bwlch. Mark and John Trebles PB’s were a highlight for me and it was great to see a bit of family rivalry on display. The determination on Mark’s behalf to beat Dad was visible, and he came close too!

Massive thanks to Martin Newnham for organising and running the competition through the pain of a back in spasm. Thanks to John Treble for organising the buzzers, all pilots for buzzing when asked and a huge thanks to all the guys who tirelessly launched all day.

Congratulations to Simon Thornton on winning our first completed Summer League competition for 2015!! He flew his Shinto brilliantly all day and made the most of the air he was given.

Mark Treble got close at the end of the day but had to settle for a fantastic 2nd place in front of the superhuman Mark Redsell who managed to finish the day in a valiant 3rd place.

Looking forward to our next F3F event which will also be held in Wales in the middle of May, The BMFA F3F Nationals! Entries are open now, so get them in!

The final results from the second round of the BMFA F3F Summer league are below. The spreadsheet is available on the GBSRA website.

Simon Thornton

Mark Treble

Mark Redsell

Martin Drewett

Tony Livingstone

Ronnie Lampe

Graeme Mahoney

Martin Newnham

Clayton Landells

Stuart Wallace

Mark Abbotts

John Treble

Andy Burgoyne

Ian Falconer

Neal Shead

Mike Evans

Frank Hulton

Mike Shellim

Pete Burgess

Vic Eldridge

• Like 4

Great write up Clayton :thumbsup: It gives those of us who couldn't make it a good impression of what went on.

Well done to Simon of course, both Treble's and Neal Shead for going sub-40. Jon's 31 sounds epic B)

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

A few very fast times by others, and

a few cuts by me in flatter rounds

resulted in a comp where I needed at least 3 discards....

4 would have been optimum ;)

• Like 2