FPV Soaring...

Will post some pics later today....

Now...  I would be extremely cautious about  attempting FPV with a model you don't have a motor on as an option.  The ability to power up and get home is a massive 'get out clause'.    Its not a 100% reqirement... but helps!

Have you ever flown any FPV models?   If not.. you really need to consider the approach as: "I am learning to fly again - and need a trainer"   The silly thing is.. it will not take long to get you past a trainer - FPV is easier than LOS.  But it is still a tough learning curve.  A curve that may not be worth risking your Discus on?

Now..  equipment wise...

There is no reason a typical soarer cannot carry any fpv gear.  My smallest FPV model is my mini skywalker.  A mere 90cm wing span.  Full OSD, RTH etc....     So it can fit.      I have plans to install the gear at some point into a large multi task f3b model.  Tight... but not impossible.   Just takes careful planing.     I would think a good starter FPV glider for slope use might be something like the Phoenix 2000.   Not going to be a superb performer.. but it will be robust, adequate performance.. and big enough to not worry ,much about the added payload.  Certainly cheap enough!

Rob

Rob,Thanks for the comments and ideas.  I have not flown anything with one of those twerly things at the front for about 10 years .I think a throttle would only confuse me .Revised plan , would a Wild thin 60" be suitable trainer ? It has a gyro fitted at the moment. It should be fairly easy carve out some holes to put the extra gear in and or add a pod. Looking forward to seeing your smaller installations. 

Rob Thomson

Uhm....   I think it would certainly have the survivability factor!

I am not so sure it is an ideal fpv model..

The problem you have is that slope fpv is possibly the hardest form of FPV.    What would surprise you is just how small the band of lift is we fly our rc models in.  Staying in it is very difficult when you don't have easy ability to see where you are above the slope.  This is exacerbated further if you have a non pan tilt camera, and cant look directly down.  Its much easier with a model that you can still work the lift with, when far out from the slope.   Maybe not the strongest list - but it enables you to get a point of reference by looking back at the slope!

Comparatively.. thermal soaring is a doddle!

I think for best success you would do well to use a larger and more stable platform.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__67226__Firstar_2000_V2_FPV_Glider_EPO_2000mm_PNF_UK_Warehouse_.html

Its identical wings and tail to the phoenix 2000.  It looks rather clunky.. but would give you the best of all worlds.   You have a motor - just in case.  or just glide it around.  I decent compromise.   Its not too pretty.. but would work quite well.

By all means try a wild thing - but I am not so sure that it will work as well as one would think.

the wildthing is just what I've got to hand. The other models you suggest do look tempting but if I do a small cost to start with I have abetted chance to get it past my better half. 

Would a manual pan and tilt setup for the camera  controlled from the TX work or is head following a must?

Rob Thomson

If the wild thing... I would not bother with pan tilt. More robust to just bury the camera in the foam! Pan tilt is also best not used when learning. It adds another level of input and control to get used to. Some people use the rudder stick as a pan input. I like the head tracker... it's more natural.

Rob Thomson

Always wise. Thing with fpv. .. there is ALLOT to learn. Nothing to hard.. but it takes time to get the setup right.

Rob Thomson

Had my first every successfull 100% slope flight with zero motor.

What's absolutely clear - you need the right slope.  The right weather.. and the right plane.

Today was pretty good on all of those fronts!

• Like 2

I like the loop. Your video shows what I'm aiming for. But will be starting with a bixler or Firstar. First have to decide what kit to sell to finance the new direction 

Rob Thomson

Yup. Good choices. What I have found on this journey is that location is everything. Choose your slope very wisely as you need space, good lift in light wind.. and no trees to fault your radio signal! I wonder if at some point we may see an fpv soaring competition class.

Rob Thomson

My new Aether (hobbyking) 3.7m fpv glider is taking shape...

The aether is a stupid cheap Pulsar'ish clone.   Pretty good quality too!

20150615_144324.thumb.jpg.296587541932af

• Like 3

Rob Thomson

Hello I have not flown mine yet to know for sure if the boom needs lengthening. I suspect that it will be fine as is. The build of the model is pretty decent for the money. Suprisingly. .. the cog was really easy to reach. A 2200mah 3 cell up front balances mine. Yet the model can easily fit 4 of them in! I have done a few mods on mine. Minor stuff like carbon plates on bolt / joiner holes. All up I got stung with an additional 50 import tax. So around £270 including post and tax. The rc groups thread has had a fair bit of dialog with the hobbyking product developer. They seem to be listining to user feedback and aim to improve certain areas. Word is that they will be in the UK warehouse at some point. No idea when! I am happy with it. Happy enough that I ordered a second one to use for regular non FPV flying.

Well  i've taken the plunge. I've ordered a Firstar 2000 V2 , a new charger ,a  new batts . Bits for open source head tracking. Now trying to sort out cheap OSD. Arducopter any good ?

Ray I saw that you had a Firstar once any tips ?

It's scary reading some of the FPVhub posts . One guy was advised to launch the model at 45 degrees and was then told to fit a bigger motor when the model kept tip stalling!

Edited by GeoffN

Rob Thomson

Lol... agreed. The guys on the hub are not good with aerodynamics! Nothing wrong with arducopter. But a lot of hacking to get it all together. I would suggest a cyclops storm if you want am easy life!

chiloschista

Is Arducopter not a multicopter (btw the first I had several years ago ...)?

If you want just an OSD, I'm testing right now the Tarot one: incredibly cheap and very good though.

You get for about $25.- the OSD itself and a Ublox GPS. GPS lock is very quick and informations are well complete.

It seems based on Remzibi and is completely configurable, even the layout, with just one button and no PC.

That's a source, but I guess you can get it at any Tarot dealer.

Last note, here you have an excuse not to RTFM (read the *factory* manual =:D), unless you are chinese knowledged.

But setting it is as easy as ...

If you are searching for an autopilot that's an other story.

Ric

Rob Thomson

I guess the question you need to ask is..

Do you want 

- just an onscreen display with altitude, gps etc?

or

- a full flight controller with ability to do return to home?

That will then bring you to the answer of which one you want to buy!

Rob

I just want an osd. With a flight controller you might as well get somebody else to fly the model for you. I think I will need head tracking as I want to end up fpv sloping and you need to be able to see were the slope is as you fly parallel to it. The opensource tracker is only about a Tenner for the bits and I`m getting used to fiddling with adrino nanos. 

By the look of it the arducipter can be configured for every type of model I think!

Does the Tarot predict the flight outcome as well?

This is getting like building a house of cards,  piling one reason to crash on top of another. But should be fantastic when it all works . It's  not so expensive as it first looks if you use the opensource versions. 

Rob Thomson

Hello

For a bit of clarification on the various items listed in the thread.

arducoptor/arduplane ->  this is a flight controller.  to get an onscreen display, you would need an addon board like minimosd.

cyclops storm -> this is a hybrid.  both a flight controller and an osd in an easy to use package.

tarrot osd -> this is an osd.  just the basic infor like airspeed (gps based), height and voltage .

-

Now.. head tracker wise.  yes. the opensource one is great.  Very good!  I have moved to a trinity tracker from the open one.. but only because I like the trinity packaging.

Goggle wise.. if you can stretch to it over the quanums.

http://www.getfpv.com/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-w-32ch-5-8ghz-receiver.html

I recently had mine delivered.  They are FANTASTIC.  Really high resolution and suit the gliding environment.  about a 2 month wait if you do order!

-

With FPV, get used to the fact that you will do allot of soldering,   It is mandatory!

Also.. get some of this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/711342/7-1-4c-grey-braided-multicore/dp/CB00305

You want to run your video leads through good shielded cable. (make the shield of the cable the GND)   It can save you allot of problems when cleaning up your display.  Also read up on this: http://www.fpvuk.org/how-tos/lc-filters/   again... clean power = clean video.

Thanks Ray, I would have gone for the Tarot if I had known it existed but I have gone for the minim/arducopter combination,it looks very configurable.

A lot of this sport is learning what to buy and what not to buy. There is so much stuff and information out there. Some time can't see the wood for the trees.

Rob Thomson

Lol... just worked out when you say 'RAY' you mean ROB :-)

My reason for suggesting the cyclops storm is simply that it is easy.  Everything in one neat box and only a few wires to solder.  Takes the headache out of doing the whole arducopter route.

But hey.. both work.  Long term the arducopter is more configurable.