FPV Soaring...

Right.. just a bit of a teaser to maybe get some of you interested...

This here...

Is my Ogar SZD-45 glider.

It is a lovely model - and a great semi scale thermal ship.

This here:

Is a superb FPV thermal flight from yesterday.

I am still buzzing!

Now who else is interest in this sort of flying?

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 1

Rob can you recommend a cheap set of equipment to give it a go? Must be legal obviously and I have 35mhz or 2.4g radio I can use. Oh and a UK/Euro supplier I don't do illegal import, tax dodges.

chiloschista

Hello,

I just introduced my son to FPV: he did his first FPV flight on Saturday, with a simple Easy Glider setup.

Ric

Rob Thomson

Yup.  To get started  its probably simplest to go with  something  like a bixler.   while  but ugly,  it gets your head round the tech you need!

I guess a rough budget for  quanum diy goggles,  model, camera  and plane  would  be around  £250 to £300.

My setup with this model  is probably  around a £1100 budget.  (Excluding  all the money I spent learning  and doing it wrong)

Bear...  are you going to Lundy?   I am planning  to ridge  soar my setup along the cliffs.  Would be a good chance for me to  run you over the setup!

Rob Thomson

Oh.. bear.  Nothing  wrong with those goggles.  They are big.  But very effective. 

I have a pair as my passenger   goggles. 

Only thing  I don't like in the bundle  is the camera.  It's crap.   But £20 could find you a better 600tvl Sony superhad camera.

Edited by Rob Thomson

Thanks Rob, going to be at Lundy. Going to order the bundle and a better camera with the intention of getting it all sorted for Lundy. Not sure what I am going to put it in yet but Ive got lots of stuff lying around not being flown. I will take advantage of your kind offer of help with setup.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...
Rob Thomson

Decided to try my luck at FPV slope soaring...

What can I say... great fun... but bloody difficult!  Flat field soaring is allot easier :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Rob Thomson

I am working on a new thermal fpv project....

2015_-_1.thumb.jpg.ce242e678f9224194206e

Its a hobbyking Aether.

3.7m of soaring fun!

Rob Thomson

Where will you fit the camera?

Just up ahead if the wing... there is a small saddle I can mount the pan tilt roll unit on. Under power. .. you will see the prop. But hey... don't plan to be under power much!
  • Like 1

Rob Thomson

Grabbed this clip from the raw data - it shows a thermal being caught off harting down - and the associated climb from 100 to 250m

I had to bail out because the spotter could not see me clearly... and I was drifting off the back of the hill!

I'm getting very tempted by this. Any chance of some photos of the interior of your glider as I fly slope exclusively and there is not a lot of room in the Fuz. But I'm building a 4m Discus at the moment that's got a lot of room.  Shame none of my DS models have enough room.

Rob Thomson

Will post some pics later today....

Now...  I would be extremely cautious about  attempting FPV with a model you don't have a motor on as an option.  The ability to power up and get home is a massive 'get out clause'.    Its not a 100% reqirement... but helps!

Have you ever flown any FPV models?   If not.. you really need to consider the approach as: "I am learning to fly again - and need a trainer"   The silly thing is.. it will not take long to get you past a trainer - FPV is easier than LOS.  But it is still a tough learning curve.  A curve that may not be worth risking your Discus on?

Now..  equipment wise...

There is no reason a typical soarer cannot carry any fpv gear.  My smallest FPV model is my mini skywalker.  A mere 90cm wing span.  Full OSD, RTH etc....     So it can fit.      I have plans to install the gear at some point into a large multi task f3b model.  Tight... but not impossible.   Just takes careful planing.     I would think a good starter FPV glider for slope use might be something like the Phoenix 2000.   Not going to be a superb performer.. but it will be robust, adequate performance.. and big enough to not worry ,much about the added payload.  Certainly cheap enough!

Rob

• Like 1

chiloschista

Hi,

I can only confirm: thermalling is a great experience itself, doing it through FPV is ... indefinible.

We did some FPV flying at La Brévine (the Swiss Siberia) recently.

Just to tease you a little bit this is a shot taken from a flight, during our last weekend there.

Btw, which OSD do you use? There are several great informations around the screen.

In the autopilot I generally use there are lots of informations also (with the capability to log them), but if there is something interesting, requiring less programming and maybe cheaper, I could be interested.

Ric

LaBrévine01.JPG

• Like 1

Rob Thomson

The one on the ogar is a cyclops storm / cyclops tornado. They are very good and easy to setup. I am going to be using ardupilot on the aether. I prefer the flexibility in programing as it will allow me to use aileron differential and crow braking. Critical for thermal flying is a telemetry radio and vario!