FPV Soaring...

Rob Thomson

I maidened the FPV aether 3.7m soarer today.

A non event!  

Performance wise.. yes.  I am very happy!

Edited by Rob Thomson
  • Like 1

Lots of boxes have arrived. Just got to figure out what connects to where. 

Never had a throttle and Flaps on the same plane before what's the best transmitter configuration? Throttle on top half of the stick and flaps on the bottom half? I fly mode 1.

chiloschista

Nooo ... =:D

Depends on which RC tx you have. You have both the choice between flaps on a slider or something like that or to swap the throttle stick between flaps and motor throttle.

The last one is the one I use. On some radios there is a feature which allows to disable motor when in flaps mode and the opposite. Otherwise you can configure it through mixers.

This one is for crow flaps when landing: I like the idea to control the amount.

On camber control side you could set few flying conditions with different settings.

I list what I generally use:

- normal (flaps at centre)

- thermal and start condition (flaps a little down)

- speed (flaps a little up)

- aerobatics (flaps works together with ailerons)

- snap flaps (flaps and ailerons working against elevator)

Just to start thinking about it.

In this video I did a demonstration of those functions on my Proxima II, which btw is a real drone, capable of full autonomous flight. It is still not equipped with FPV, but this is planned, when I will find again the stimulus to do it. I did with it a lot of autonomous thermal flying reseacrh, using LOGO flight plans:

Ric

Edited by chiloschista

Rob Thomson

Thought I would add a small teaser...

I am going to be doing this...

https://youtu.be/_LGwGTBQ90M

To my 4m dg808s. http://www.gliders.uk.com/mobile/FlyFly-DG808S-Electric-Glider-40M/productinfo/FF-B015-C/

Figure it is time to look at a full cockpit in a big scale model!

I like the idea of using this model as the optional power pod gives a get out clause!

Thanks for the video. I use a Taranis with a certain gentleman's F3F setup , so I will add  throttle on the  right slider Which is only active if the flap stick is up. 

Rob Thomson

Thanks for the video. I use a Taranis with a certain gentleman's F3F setup , so I will add  throttle on the  right slider Which is only active if the flap stick is up. 

I would suggest if possible.. Start simple. There is no requirement to use full camber or crow when learning to fpv. It may not be the nicest. But there is so much other stuff to learn.. you don't want complication. On Wednesday I was helping a fellow and very experienced flyer have his first fpv experience. My model... buddy box etc.. Had I not had a buddy box he would have come very unstuck. Complete loss of orientation followed by a death spiral. By his third flight.. those problems where going away. So keep it simple. Complexity adds problems in the learning phase.

chiloschista

What I was following very close by is that one, but unfortunately seems he stopped working on it long time ago =:(

chiloschista

vlcsnap-2015-06-25-15h58m34s416.thumb.pn

Its official...  I look like a muppet when I go fpv soaring!

Did you get the Headplay? Where?

Rob Thomson

Bits for open source head tracking.

Probably too late.. but check this: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__61695__Quanum_3_Axis_No_Drift_Head_Tracker.html

yes bits arrived yesterday. The wiring is fairly simple. Looks like  I need to couple two recievers together as I will need 9 channels with the head tracking.

Plane is amost ready for its maiden, sans fpv gear to start with.

Putting the pan and tilt together was like doing a 3D jigsaw puzzle

Flown it yet?

Not yet. Its been quit breezy here but sw is no good for me. Had enough to do working out how to controll pan and tilt with a 8 channel receiver  when I'm allready business g 7 of the channels.  I'm using a second receiver with an old jr module plugged in the back of the Taranis to give me an extra 8 channels.

Just noticed that both ailerons are bowed by about`1/4 of an inch.they have what looks like carbon rod glued in may have to dig it out?

Not to metion Arduplane and minimosd also need sorting 

Edited by GeoffN

Rob Thomson

Can't say I have ever heard of, or had bowed ailerons? Do they only bow when using the aileron? Maybe the hinge just needs flexing a bit? Assume you have gone full house if using all 8 channels? Rob

Rob (I got it right) .

The hngei be is not stiff, at rest the tips of the ailerons are about 1/4 of an inch above the center point.  Will try a hair dryer to soften and realign them.

Wing servos were pre fitted but had no horns on them so had to rip them out to fit horns.

Yes full house my standard set up plus throttle plus pan an tilt. But only to by used later on.

Rob Thomson

Don't think the ailerons are an issue. It's built in washout. Stops you tip stalling :) I believe it may have been put on the firstar because so many fpv flyers overload the planes with batteries making it a brick! You flight controller can support ppmsum /cppm. You may be able to get away with one channel on the receiver being used to output cppm, then use the low channels to do the head tracker/non flight controller channels.

It's being used to molded models where 2mm is a big error. The tips of the aileron are higher than the center, so if I align the tips with the wing, the center of the aileron  is 1\4 of down  which would tend to make it tip stall. Maybe where the tip stall stories come from?

Cppm hmmm another thing to look in to.

Going to use rudder trim for tilt as I dont think I'll be using it much, and Pan on the left slider, (till I get the head tracking sorted)  throttle on right slider