FPV Soaring...

Rob Thomson

Sounds like your setup will work. I am putting this together for my trip to Lundy in August.

It's a phoenix 2000

Edited by Rob Thomson

Cppm sorted. One servo lead from the x8r reciever to the arduplane unit gives 16 output channels .Now got to tell arduplane it has 2 aileron channels and 2 flap channels. Some fpv forum members have problems understanding why anybody would use such a system and not just a Y lead! 

Sounds like your setup will work. I am putting this together for my trip to Lundy in August. 20150703_102043-1.jpg It's a phoenix 2000

Photo is not showing? 

Rob Thomson

Corrected photo below!

20150703_1020413-1.jpg

This model has been kept intentionally simple.

Just AILERON ELEVATOR RUDDER MOTOR  and PAN TILT ROLL.

I have it configured so I can do a 100% buddy box setup.  Essentially a 'passenger' can have a go using my backup goggles, and have the full experience.  If I flick a switch - I take control back.

• Like 1

Maidened the Firstar to day,  flys well even thermaled .

Fpv is a bit more problematic.  First problem,  l can't get the headset screen in focus.  The unit was supplied with three frensel lenses and with one of them touching my nose its nearly there but still out of focus.

video was breaking up not far out from the slope may get some clover leaf Ariel's. May have knocked the aerial as I was putting headset on.

Taranis was complaintinb  during fligth all the time "telemetry lost" "telemetry recovered " but signal strength warnings.

Rob Thomson

Do you normally where glasses? What goggles are you using? Call me when you have a minute spare :)

Maidened the Firstar to day,  flys well even thermaled .

Fpv is a bit more problematic.  First problem,  l can't get the headset screen in focus.  The unit was supplied with three frensel lenses and with one of them touching my nose its nearly there but still out of focus.

video was breaking up not far out from the slope may get some clover leaf Ariel's. May have knocked the aerial as I was putting headset on.

Taranis was complaintinb  during fligth all the time "telemetry lost" "telemetry recovered " but signal strength warnings.

Should have read "Taranis was complaining during flight all the time "telemetry lost" "telemetry recovered " but no signal strength warnings.?

Edited by GeoffN

Solved the focus problem. After looking at some DIY headset videos I noticed that mine seemed a bit stubby.so I carved a 1 1\2 inch extension out of blue foam and glued / taped it on. Problem solved.

Circular polarized aerials ordered. Now to investigate the Taranis problem. Then get head tracking built. Then sort OSD. Then sort arduplane. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob,  I have been out with the Firstar but no fpv yet. I'm haveing problems getting g a spotter who can buddybox me. The only chap I know who has a Taranis never seems to be up the slope when I am, I also fly mode one and everybody else flys mode 2 so we can't play pass the transmitter. Most flyers up the hill have looked through the goggle more than I have.  I tried putting the goggles on my head then getting model flying streight and level then pulling the goggles down, most flights lasted 10 to 15 secs before I had to rip the goggles off and play spot the model! 

So plan B get ardupilot working and the minim osd. Then fly by wire till I get used to the view through the goggles with the option of return to home if things get out of shape.  I also like the idea of the geofence option as the SAS training area is not a huge distance away and I do not fancy knocking  on their door "Can I have my plane back Mister?"

But what a learning curve more like a cliff. Could not get the osd to work,  found out one of the transmitter channels was telling the Oscar to go to screen 3 which is effectively no display. Tried to use ccpm sum between reciever and ardupilot , one set of wires instead of 8 sounded good just would not work, looks like part of the arduoilot needs new firmware but could not get the flash procedure to work.  Numurous other problems and much RTFM.

Finally compass calibrated transmitter calibrated, acceleromitters calibrated GPS working now for training  flignt for Ardupilot to learn the plane,  much waggling of the sticks in training mode.  Not much improvement, back home more RTFM it turns out training is only effective if the throttle is more than 20% open,  I was flying slope with the throttle shut.

Now waiting  for some calmer winds to try again.  My Opus has been well used this last week and even the D60 has had an outing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and link Sean, I'm using a side slider for throttle and stick for flaps which complicates things abit. Just sold my old J R 9x2 and 3810 which had been sitting around for ages`gathering dust.  

Just found that my screen has got burn marks so got to order a new one. Fpv will be acheived some day.

Rob stuning  views.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

watching with interest what's coming out about goggles, I noticed that Headplay is on preorder everywhere. Resellers are really angry with that infinte delay (typical Range Video, if someone recalls about the antenna tracker ...). I remember reading about a Russian doing a similar box sometime ago. Now reading a little more I discovered that seems the Russian's one, eYebox, was literally copied by Headplay. Mhmm, not nice. Just for some justice, if I should trigger the buy button I would trigger the eYebox one.

There are few in UK already. Maybe one of those users reads through BARCS? Did someone have a chance to look through them? How is the quality? Better the smaller or the bigger screen?

Thanks!

Ric

Really personal choice.

I have a spare pair I would consider selling if interested? Even have a 3 axis head tracker fitted :)

I fly with both skyzones, and head plays. Depends what I am doing.

Soaring wise. .. the headplays are better. Mini quad. .. skyzones better.

I don't sell them. Just ordered more than one when they first came out. So have a spare set.

To be honest. .. not sure you can really say that they where copied from eyebox. By the same argument they where copied from flying wings!

The idea has been around for a while in various guises.

I've just finnjshed bodging a set out of blue foam. The replacement screen For the one that burnt was a lot bigger than I expected. I've had to increase the length to get the screen in focus even with strong reading glasses glued in.

I haven't managed to fpv yet, weather, health, no spotter available. So as a training option I have installed Picasim on my laptop and plugged in a transmitter to USB adaptor. The laptop has an S-video out Maplins sell a s-video to composite adaptor connected this to a spare video input on the goggles . Select a 3-D scenery in the similar and then you can change to Cockpit view and you have a FPV simulator. With loads of difrent gliders available. fpv in the comfort of you armchair. 

It's helped me get used to the difrent perspectives and I'm not felling dizzy now doing spins and stalls.

No flying today thick mist.