FPV Soaring...

Long time since I posted an update. 

I thought I would show you what I have been working on.

20160210_210839.thumb.jpg.e4e9a725d38299

This is the HK Ridge Ryder. 

Essentially I have designed anot alternative 3d printed hatch that contains a small pan camera.

Still early days..  but initial thoughts are it goes well!

• Like 3

I think the main thing is to realise that this is not meant to be a photographic platform.

The aim is to find a compact and easy to transport system that can be taken to a slope - and flown with little more than goggles and a spotter.   It can be a big pain taking loads of fpv gear up a slope!

The model was chosen because it is:

A. Cheap

B. Lends itself to the 3d canopy mod without cutting up the foam.

I flew the model with an illuminati flight controller.   This is actually a quad copter controller - and is highly effective.

At one point in the flight just before doing a roll, I turn off stabilisation.   The model was very difficult to keep on track.  

For the display.  This is simply how it is prevented using the mwosd firmware.  Nothing intentional.   Just what comes out the box! 

As for platforms.  Big stable planes are much easier to handle.  Just not as easy to transport.  

In the near future I will be posting some videos of a 'new' design I have been working on. (You may have seen it at Ivinghoe ) .  Initial flights have been very positive - with us now moving into second phase design and build.  Essentially I purpose designed fpv glider - with proper efficiency that we expect from our models!

If the new design proves successfully it will be produced for general global purchase etc. .  

Rob 

Good job Rob!

I like very much the pilot feeling of that kind of FPV vs. the stabilized videos, which I'm starting to consider boring. Just try to think what an FPV racer video could look like :frantics:

Ric

Pete,

I can only agree. Guess what? I have not a headache, but some nausea instead, because of a couple of intensive simulator quad racing training sessions. It is known that (shaking) videos are even not good just before going sleep and I usually avoid it. But please leave me alone in my misery, letting me prefer shaken, rolled, pitched, yawed, bikerwise videos instead of perfectly stabilized ones :lol:

Maybe it depends on individual ability of elaborating images: there are people more visual than other. Wanna an example of alien sight ability?

Ric

• 4 months later...
Rob Thomson

Figured I would mention a project I have been working on for the past year. 

The Skyhook. 

9dd8b1ffee6d4c5bff86cd70d2b510ba.jpg
(picture is of a previous release /development version!) 

The Skyhook is a highly efficient FPV glider.  Glider is the wrong word.   Soarer would be closer. 

It is designed to be competitive,  with excellent glide speed,  and even better thermal characteristics.    In short..  A proper thermal soarer that has been designed with FPV in mind from the outset. 

This hook features a composite fuselage,  with a pusher prop configuration.   The conceptual idea is to allow a pan tilt camera to be installed on the upper deck,  allowing you excellent flight visibility,  whilst retaining the ability to view the gliders nose.   

Optimum power is a 900kv 4 cell..  However 3 cell will suffice. 

Payload..   4000mah is easy.   If you are happy to wire in parrallel..    6000 to 8000 can be achieved.   But really..  You don't need much power.   It can climb on 1/4 throttle..  and hang about for hours if you use thermals. 

Aerofoil is an MH32.   So pretty quick,  and we'll optimised for full camber control on the wing to allow easy changes to flight characteristics. 

Size wise..   2.6m wingspan.   Good news is the entire more can pack down into the box it ships in.   This takes all of 5 minutes to achieve.   The box is about the same size as the box a bixler is delivered in.  So qute compact. 

The model is now in its final round of testing... With production due to kick off within 2 months.   So not long to go! 

The model is well suited to anyone who wants to uo their game to a better fpv model.   It is 100 percent more efficient than any fpv model currently in production. 

It is also well suited to anyone who wants to get into go  thermal soaring.   It excells in this,  particularly suiting a potential new fpv gps triangle racing class of competition.    

Hope you all like it.   I am excited about it -  its great to see the product,  I sketched out a year back finally being on the verge of production! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Next version of the skyhook is ready to fly..

Assuming all goes well in tests next week; and we should be good to start production!

Photo0381.jpg

Photo0383.jpg

Photo0387.jpg

• Like 2

Currently targeting $250 to $300.  Will vary a bit based on production qty, tax etc..

As a side note.. the glider has been designed to take different front-pods.  We will soon be starting moulds on the regular electric / slope glider moulds.

Essentially..  it has the option of simply being a general purpose slope glider or thermal soarer!  Just a case of swapping the pod!

Interesting.

Who is is going to be sold though?

What servos are you recommending? It looks like four in the wing and two in the stabilizers.

Do you have photos of the insides of the equipment bays?

Steve

Hello

Still to be de idea if I sell direct -  or via shops.   That choice will be made very soon! 

Servo wise..   Its really dependant on how you want to fly it.  There is room inside to fit in pretty much anything you want!   Yes..  4 in wing.   2 in stab. 

On all the development models we have kept it to metal gear 9g models.   (939MG) This is plenty fine for the fpv version.   For the pure slope glider version..  I would personally go for something a bit stronger.   IMHO the pure slope I'll be put through more stress than an fpv  soarer! 

I flew the latest prototype last week.   It has exceeded my expectations.    On 3 cell  with a 960kv it will climb away at 50 degrees with 3/4 throttle.   So plenty muscle.   Speed is excellent, and with the full camber control you can slow it up nicely for launch,  thermal and landing. 

What has been really positive if how smoothly it flies..  Whilst still being aerobatic. 

This is an raw video of the first flight last week.   Not bad for its maiden! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Steve J said:

Any news? I am tempted, but would like to see some photos of the installation.

Steve

Hi Steve

I am in the process of sorting out the finances for a minimum order quantity/production run.

Theoretically this will be sorted by the end of the week; then we have a production run to do!

More videos / install pics will be posted in the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news (from my point of view)

Initial production is underway.  Jetting is way to me at the moment are two production versions of the glider.

Some photos of them below:

FPV Version (top)

DSC_0263.jpg

FPV Version (bottom)
DSC_0268.jpg

FPV Version (camera pan)

DSC_0274.jpg

Slope Glider Version for those who dont like fpv!

DSC_0291.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Andy_B said:

Yup.  But it is completely over-rated and ill thought out.

Few things.

1. DSMX is NOT the most popular protocol for drones.  FrSky ACCST is.   Yup.. maybe it stops kiddes with toys which are not really a risk anyway!

2. They have just created a massive 'gotcha'.  So...  I am flying illegally.. and I crash into a plane.  Oh damn.. but it was not me officer.  I was in los and suddenly somebody took over and flew it away!  So plausible deniability means you have no legal case to make a a law suit.

3.  Can we really assume that the channel order being received by the 'drone' is in the order you expect?  So.. TAER. RAET etc..  So.. when you 'highjack' the drone and take control of the channel in the wrong order..  well.  Then you have a big problem.  Imagine the drone being hijacked and then actually causing the crash that the real pilot would not have had.  Who then takes legal responsibility?

Ho hum..

No issue to me.  I dont fly out of line of site etc.. so no real problem!

Rob

• Like 2

Not sure I understand your point here Pete. 

Yes of course you can fly your drone over the castle if there are no people roaming the place. It is only the danger to / privacy of PEOPLE that is of concern.

• Like 1