Mill hill

stewartg

Baldyslapnut

Thursday 30th April, there was a midair collision between a light aircraft landing at Shoreham Airport and a model aircraft being flown from Mill Hill. Fortunately there was minimal damage to the full size and the incident is now being investigated by the CAA and the Air Accident investigation Branch. The local police have posted an advisory notice at Mill Hill prohibiting model flying and anyone intending or found flying there will have their equipment confiscated.

Because of this it is recommend that all BMFA members do not fly from Mill Hill with immediate effect so as not to inflame matters and until the issues are resolved. 

This is the text on the web page. If there is a Police notice prohibiting model flying is that not clear enough. Where is there a conflict of information on the ESSA web page?

I've flown there once, and swore never to do it again, way, way too risky.

The site was an "accident waiting to happen", I'm just thankful it's now happened with minimal effect to the persons onborad the full size.

This is the current statement from South East BMFA:

"Dear all South East Area member/Club,

I have been in contact with head office and they have spoken to the BMFA 
member involved. The inquiry will take place, which may take some 
months, so until the out come is known we see there is no reason why we 
can not continue to fly at Mill Hill.

Regards
Stuart Willis
BMFA South East Area Chairman"

The thing is if model flying was 'allowed' at Mill Hill before,  bearing in mind it's basically legal everywhere not withstanding local bye laws and caa rules  etc, why is it not allowed  now.

So if the full size is found to be at fault are they going to close the airport? No. Fair enough if it's not safe to fly there because of the airport then fine, bring in a bye law. 

It seems a strange  situation, if true, but i guess that's the country we now live in.

Pete Burgess

Hmm...  This happened a week ago and only now have the local media (TV & Radio) picked up on it. Must be a quiet day on the News Desks!

interesting   on the slope soaring sussex blog

Interesting comments and conjecture. Speaking as one of the three flyers airborne at the time of the incident, I can confirm that the light aircraft was nowhere near 1000ft ASL as it crossed the hill. We were combating from the lower footpath at heights varying from ground level to possibly 100 feet, which would put us roughly at the level of the road plus about 50 feet at most. The light aircraft appeared suddenly and quietly over our heads and slightly to the right, roughly over the 'Gully Run' bush where it made contact with a Wildthing. I suspect that the published 1000 ft figure is more to cover ATC than an actual fact. The incident occurred because the pilot did not follow the circuit and approach paths recommended (but not mandatory apparently) as shown on the airport's web site. http://www.flybrighton.com/pilots/airport-general-information . Understandable as the pilot was a French visitor

• Like 1

https://www.bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2243/Model-Flying-at-Mill-Hill-West-Sussex

Daily Mail Headline  - Deadly drones confiscated by the police. Ban ALL reaction events, except horse riding and conkers, forever!!!!  Deport anyone found with death drone to bingo bongo land. Princess Di something....something.  Probably.  Or just keep flying.

Edited by satinet

From what i have read recently a visiting French pilot was clearly at fault, busting several rules of the air. The guys were flying foamies from a lower part of the slope (steeper with better lift). Perhaps the police could adjust the spacing of the anti-gypsy concrete-filled barrels at the entrance of the car park as I can barely get my Galaxy through!

Mishandled case.

GB

Would be nice to think that those modellers who so quickly jumped on the band wagon to judge and attack their fellow modellers on forums and facebook (happily not on this forum) will be equally quick to apologise to the poor bloke involved in this incident.  It must of been bad enough for the guy to of hit a fullsize without the witch hunt that followed. I have no idea who the guy is but wish him all the best and hope he is continuing enjoying his model flying.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi.  Can anyone tell me if slope soaring is still permitted at Mill Hill or not?  it a great slope but I don't want to make the journey unless I am sure.  Hope someone can give me a definitive answer.

Thanks

Peter K

10 minutes ago, Rumbey said:

It's my local slope and fly there all the time, albeit not the last few months 

Mill Hill is your local slope ?? Really ??

Milk Hill, Alton Barnes, Rumbey?

I have fond memories flying hang gliders in the old days on Mill Hill near Shoreham also Milk Hill, Wilts.