Tragi-dy

Graham_C

If you think it would help you could cut a sizeable hole in the wing seat. Cut neatly it could just be pieced back later

​I'm less bothered about it than I was.

It's really not as bad as i was imagining.  The fuse hasn't actually snapped by the looks of it. 

The centre panel doesn't look a disaster if the spar is okay.  I'm fixing something worse if that makes you feel better.  

​Yes, I was almost pleasantly surprised. Won't be taking a close look at the wing for a while - I'll start at the "easy" end of the fus

Graham , I still haven't had chance to test out my repairs as of yet , but if I can give you any advice is to take your time and think through the repair stages,  make them into easy steps , someone told me there is no right way of doing these repairs just do what seems logical to you , good luck with the project , I can confirm that you do get ridges if you wrap the joint with tape , but its not to bad once sanded out !  by the look of the photos your bench needs some messing up anyhow , its far to tidy, have a go you have nothing to loose...

dave 

​Thanks Dave, good advice. The bench is tidy because I have just this week finished moving into my new workshop :D

Hi Graham

Your welcome to the loan of my Tragi nose cone, if it would help to cast yourself a mould for the profile of the areas where repair is needed.

Or even the whole fuselage for an alignment jig ?

Not far away from you in Halesowen :thumbsup:

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Graham

Your welcome to the loan of my Tragi nose cone, if it would help to cast yourself a mould for the profile of the areas where repair is needed.

Or even the whole fuselage for an alignment jig ?

Not far away from you in Halesowen :thumbsup:

Paul

​Thanks for the offer Paul, that's very kind. I'll let you know.

I'd take this offer like a shot. It looks from your photos as if your fuselage is broken in a number of places, and it will be very hard to align by eye. If you are interested, I can post some photos of one of my jigs, so you can see how to make them. (It's not hard or expensive.)

I'd take this offer like a shot. It looks from your photos as if your fuselage is broken in a number of places, and it will be very hard to align by eye. If you are interested, I can post some photos of one of my jigs, so you can see how to make them. (It's not hard or expensive.)

The two fractures in the boom are straight, only the one in front of the wing is compressed. If it turns out different, I will borrow the fus. I'm always a bit reluctant to borrow other people's gear for fear of damaging it :unsure:

​Photos of the jig would be appreciated thank you :)

Hi Graham

I have been away on holiday so just seen this post.

I have had many Tragis over the years. I now use the 800 series models but I had many 700 series in the past and bent and repaired quite a few. I have a spare 700 nose cone FOC if you want it, used but in better condition than yours! I will be at Radioglide near Oxford this weekend but I could post it if you give me your address.

The rest of the repairs are fairly standard. They will add a bit of weight but for sloping this should not matter. It looks like the middle panel spar is undamaged at the centre so a cuff of carbon cloth would cover the cracks. You could always paint it a contrasting colour to make it look pretty. The spar at the joiner end looks like it has opened up a bit so to be safe it would be worth stitching it round with Kevlar thread. Just drill very small holes close to the spar, cut back the gel coat on the surfaces and stitch round. A good soaking with cyno and then filler and sand the surface smooth.

The fuz on the 700 series is all Kevlar so tends to go floppy rather than break. The best repair method that I have found is to pull it out as straight as possible then soak the Kevlar with thin cyno which stiffens it all up.  Kevlar loves cyno! Then cut back the gel coat and wrap in your favourite cloth.Carbon is the easiest to work but carbon/Kevlar also works well. Around the front area a good tip is to slip heatshrink over the wet cloth and then heat gun it down to make a smooth surface. This is difficult near the tail so you might need to sand down more but wrapping in tape helps.

Make sure that the bending of the fuz hasn't kinked the pushrod tubes or damaged the carbon rods because this can lead to sticky elevator/rudder movement or another crash! If the rods are damaged throw them away and long 2mm carbon rod is available from kite shops.

Hope this helps -good luck

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the excellent advice, it echoes much of that received already so must be good!

I'm away for a while so will be starting work on it properly in June.

I'll PM you regarding the nose.