Swift S1 - 2.88m

Phil.Taylor

All joking aside, how about white all over with a simple red, orange and yellow sunburst across the top of each wing. Striking and highly visible. It would certainly have 'presence' on an airframe that size. I will see if I can sort you out a picture. I know, orange, but it is only a little bit! :P

Phil.Taylor

On to the wings - which are pretty solid hefty things - veneered foam with quite a lot of glass reinforcement under the veneer (according to the build/assembly sketch). Ailerons already profilm-hinged - pop-up spoilers already fitted - servo bays & wiring channels pre-cut. Just needs servos, wiring, linkages - pretty much like an F3F fit-out.

Aileron servo planning this evening - seriously considered trying for internal linkages - sketched it out & would just about work - but would still have needed some exit fairings, and servo covers - and some fiddly time consuming work - so I'm going with the traditional external linkages & fairings - if its good enough for a Jaro Muller Ellipse, its good enough for a Swift ! Big decision is how to mount the servos - very tempted to just tape & epoxy in as per F3F - wont need quick field swap-outs if theres a problem anyway. Lots of space in there to lose a 16mm mini servo - Hyperion DS16 FMD digitals

Swift_aileron_bay.thumb.jpg.3e794b8aa29e

isoaritfirst

Robbe used to make some very nice servo boxes that were round servo dropped in a top retaining plate gave a nice fairing for the pushrod.

Might be worth a scoure of the net see if anything similar is available, and that will fit your servo.

Or you could make your own. glue the servo to a flat epoxy board then make the board sit flush with the bottom skin. screw in each corner into hardpoints glued into the wing. 

Makes removal very easy. 

Edited by isoaritfirst

Phil.Taylor

Nice simple aileron linkage - 2.5mm Multiplex clevises. Happy to use the supplied gf horns - bonded to the top & bottom surfaces with lots of epoxy - theres glass in there under the veneer.

Swift_ail_linkage.thumb.jpg.b84ba1cae2ab

On to the airbrakes - already fitted in the wing, had to very carefully cut out the profilm around them

Swift_airbrakes.thumb.jpg.67fa525e7c4bf1

Its all very well having the airbrakes fitted - but the linkage to them didn't quite get into the servo bay - so lots of thinking about how best to tackle the linkage problem. Only sensible approach in the end was to take the airbrakes apart so I could enlarge the linkage hole to take a Z-bend made from 2mm threaded linkage rod - I've never ever made Z-bends before! The airbrakes just pop apart & pop out - when you know exactly where to pop - found a great online tutorial for them. Good to get them out - bit of fettling on the mechanisms, one was binding a bit, all works smoothly now. Now that's all sorted, should be easy to get the servos in & linked up.

Swift_airbrake_linkage.thumb.jpg.e201d8d

Edited by Phil.Taylor

Phil.Taylor

That's some old Vapextechs, they are on 2500mAh these days.

Still good as a paperweight ! - must be the one from the Sagitta refurb

just seen that this thread has gone over 1000 views - someone must be watching this...

Edited by Phil.Taylor
  • Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Thanks Pete - theres still a way to go before its finished - and fully sorted

still scope for messing things up :unsure:

Edited by Phil.Taylor

Phil.Taylor

HS85mg airbrake servos in (tape & epoxy) - hooked up & all working nicely - love the way those airbrakes pop up & tuck away. The adjustable clevis on that short pushrod run was essential for final adjustment to get the travel just right with no servo overload at either end - haven't got any 2mm locknuts here for it though, that will have to wait.

So - that's another major milestone - all RC gear fitted & linked up - very happy with that - Budvar Czech Budweiser in hand :P

The end is finally in sight - but the big question is - will it be flyable for the weekend? (and will I be able to get it to a suitable slope?)

Swift_airbrake_servo.thumb.jpg.efa1910f3

Phil.Taylor

Having forgotten to bring lead from home, I needed something heavy for nose weight - so I raided the local home/DIY store - was thinking of maybe heavy bolts or nails, but pricey - then found something perfect in the home section - 1.5kg of pretty rounded rocks for £1 - needed a few of those to get the CofG right.

Wing wiring - should be nice & straightforward? - until I realised I hadn't cut/enlarged/squared the holes for the greenie connectors in the fus & wing - which took ages with small files cos the wing root is hard 5mm ply. Don't we all love soldering greenies? Late night session...

This morning dawned bright & breezy - as forecast - so frantic efforts to get it flyable - servo covers were sort of thrown-on - then all packed up & off to the mighty Thurnham - via tube, overground, and a lift from the station by Simon W - who also happened to have his Graupner Swift to keep mine company.

and...

It flies ! - it flies extremely well - just needed one less rock in the nose. Very smooth, soars well, picks up speed well & retains speed through the moves - Cuban 8s looked lovely - nicely flickable - and with a "prescence" in the air that you just don't get with the F3F flying pencils.

Is this the end of the story? - not quite - theres still things to do - like fixing the greenies in to make it plug&play, canopy latch, proper servo covers, changing the wobbly rudder pushrod to a snake - and of course - the colour scheme! - but I've now hit my photo storage limits on here.

Time for a celebratory beer :)

Thr_3.thumb.jpg.d1afadddfce8e0f5ff972862Thr_2.thumb.jpg.63fa5679fc19ed5804fa627eThr_6.thumb.jpg.e3b8754d9ac473dc66d07711

Edited by Phil.Taylor
  • Like 5