Battery for Vampire

heli_bee

My new toy has arrived! 

I am going to be fitting high voltage KST servos to the model and a looking for a suitable battery option.

The fuselage appears to be a bit tight on space. A two cell LiFe battery pack should fit, or I could use a LiPo. Any comments?

Martin.

Vampire-2.jpg

Edited by heli_bee
Added Photo.

isoaritfirst

Life or Lipo; Different Voltages of course.

Both will either need HV servos or Low valtage servos and regulators.(Sbecs)

Power and speed will be slightly reduced with Life but servo Life may be extended.... Servos are getting very powerful these days so I wouldn't worry too much about losing a bit.

Life hold voltage better but then drops off more suddenly.

Life is best stored full, Lipo best at part charge. 

Suits me to run Life and charge before storing models - then very quick check before going out again.

Regulators (Sbec)  on each servo offer some protection as they will trip out if a servo burns out and may save the rest of the system.

Therefore SBec make sense and low V servos. with Life battery. But it does add another circuit board.

Some of my models have HV fuselage servos run on Life (reliability and lack of space for Sbec) and LV wing servos with Sbecs mounted either in the wing or in the fus under the wing joiner. ( lower cost, performance fine, Sbecs offer some security)

I have just bought the Aresti from Greg.  This is fitted with Hitec HS 7115 servos.

Greg advised me to use the Zepsus magnetic BEC (14A) which is a combined magnetic switch and BEC.  He recommends this because it does not just bang the full voltage onto the Rx/servos when switched on but ramps the voltage up in stages.

It is thought that immediate full power to the HV servos is the cause for many startup failures when the magic smoke appears.  I have ordered one to go with the 18500 Li-ion 2 cell battery.

Scram,

Good info, thanks. I have been looking at the zepsus range. 7A continuous current with 20A bursts looks good to me.

Where are you ordering your switch from?

Martin.

isoaritfirst

I have considered the combined zepsus unit, haven't tried one yet but they do look a useful piece of kit if they will fit into the fuselage.

If you run with it lets see a few pics.

Scram,

Where are you ordering your switch from?

Martin.

I ordered yesterday direct from Zepsus.  As I have HV servos, I went for the 14A one.  Although as standard it has 5 / 5.5 / 6v outputs, according to Greg, you can specify max 7.2v output for HV servos.  I did not want to wait for this to be made (though I don't know how long  :unsure:) so I went for the standard and will use 6v output which should be quite sufficient for me  :thumbsup: