Sign in to follow this  
oipigface

Team Treble arrive in Lisbon

oipigface

Arrived in Lisbon latish this evening. Hoping to get a couple of days practice in before the comp at the weekend.

Edited by oipigface

Stefan Bertschi

Dear John

Would it be possible that you stop posting informations about your trips to all the exotic Eurotour locations? I'm stuck here in boiling hot Switzerland without any trace of wind, a little demanding girl and a 2nd one due to arrive 6 days ago. Which means more or less no stick-time for me and no traveling further than 30 min away from the big bellyed mother.

Appreciated :-)

Cheers & good luck Team Treble

• Like 3

Janek

Stefan, this doesn't help much, but it's all YOUR fault :D

• Like 2

LS8-18

Enjoy your time at Portugal

isoaritfirst

Good luck Trebles and Bertschis,

It seems like you all need a good wind behind you.

• Like 1

oipigface

Stephan,

I don't know why Janek thinks you are in charge of the weather, but apart from that - he's right. Weather here looks good, actually cooler than in London, but still very warm. We are off to look at the 'exotic' slope now. Apparently it's a landfill site overlooking the airport, so a bit different from the Bwlch or HoH.

• Like 1

f3fman

Stephan,

I don't know why Janek thinks you are in charge of the weather, but apart from that - he's right. Weather here looks good, actually cooler than in London, but still very warm. We are off to look at the 'exotic' slope now. Apparently it's a landfill site overlooking the airport, so a bit different from the Bwlch or HoH.

I wonder if that is the Viking race slope, if so, I hope the grass has grown by now   8-)

Dear John

Would it be possible that you stop posting informations about your trips to all the exotic Eurotour locations? I'm stuck here in boiling hot Switzerland without any trace of wind, a little demanding girl and a 2nd one due to arrive 6 days ago. Which means more or less no stick-time for me and no traveling further than 30 min away from the big bellyed mother.

Appreciated :-)

Cheers & good luck Team Treble

I expect you have a nice electric model to fly then Stefan ?

satinet

Did you fly out John?

oipigface

Did you fly out John?

Yes, we took Ryanair from Stansted. The slope is the one the Viking Race was held at. The grass has grown, thanks to a watering system that watered us this afternoon. The slope was custom made to order for the club. It faces NW, which is where the wind comes from 95% of the time. There is car parking at the slope. Wind here is mostly generated by sea breeze, which is why it is nearly always from the same direction. The conditions are also very thermic.

The day wasn't an unqualified success. Mark's transmitter suddenly stopped working soon after we arrived, but we managed with mine, swapping modules between flights. Since his transmitter wasn't working, and he didn't have copies of his setups on the card he reprogrammed his planes onto my card. He checked that everything was working, and I threw it off for him (I'm trying to practice launching). My throw wasn't quite straight, but his attempts to correct it led to an ever steeper spiral into the front of the slope. Up-aileron went down, and vice versa! Little damage was done, though.

Shortly afterward, I bent the nose of my Rotmilan with a rather heavy landing. Later, I managed to destroy a wing servo in the Pitbull, with another heavy landing in rotor. So I am down to no planes.

Tomorrow morning, we will set off bright and early to a Lisbon model shop that has a new transmitter and a new flap servo in stock.

Spent the evening at an excellent restaurant in Lisbon with Inaki Elizondo, who also showed us where good ice cream is to be had.

Mark's been taking photos, but he's unable to post them at the moment for technical reasons: he's half asleep!

• Like 4

chiloschista

Wow, seems someone is making strange dances against you. Seems really effective ... and jealous ... Best wishes! Ric

oipigface

Is this a thumbnail? The view from Santa Iria slope with Mark's anemometer in the way. The view is dominated by wind and solar farms and several big distribution warehouses.

Permanently installed bases, but little to mark the centre. I'm pacing it out in this shot. You can just see the edge of the picnic area on the right.

The view with my Rotmilan instead of Mark's thumb. Very light wind until halfway through the afternoon.

The model shop didn't have a Futaba S3150 for my Pitbull, so I had to do a hotel room repair of the Rotmilan fuselage instead.

Mark did get a new transmitter. Big thanks to Inaki for helping us this morning.

• Like 1

oipigface

Had a good day's racing yesterday, despite a rather late start. The wind didn't arrive until 2, so we sat around watching the windmills until lunch arrived (sandwiches from local shop), then there was more sitting, and I did a bit of sleeping, and the flying started around 2:30. We finished at 6:40, so a little over 4 hours, which thanks to extremely slick organisation and a small entry, was enough to fly 13 rounds.

The Santa Iria slope is a little like Levisham in the sun - the air was full of lumps, often crossed. The landing area is more forgiving, though.

To cut a long story short, out of 11 pilots, the leaders are Inaki Elizondo, Gerardo Plaza, and Lazaro Lieto. Alvaro Silgado is 4th, making it a clean sweep for the Spaniards so far. Mark is at 8th place and I am at 9th. I am quite pleased because I think it is the first time I have been over 90% after so many rounds.

Today looks windy already, so we are rushing off.

• Like 2

Pete Burgess

BTW what new tx did Mark purchase?

oipigface

BTW what new tx did Mark purchase?

Futaba 12FG, exactly the same as his old one... only cheaper.....and it works.

Today's racing started at 10:20, and then stopped again after 2 flights. At 11, it kicked off properly, with very difficult conditions, light winds crossed and turbulent. To make matters worse I managed to cut in 2 of the first three rounds. Conditions improved throughout the day, which ended at 4, after 12 rounds had been flown. I had to retire after 10 rounds with a knackered aileron servo.

Mark managed well. He finished in 6th place, I was 10th. Inaki Elizondo won, followed by Gerardo Plaza and Alvaro Silgado - a Spanish Armada, as the CD called it at the end. The record for the course was broken three times, first at 35 by Gerardo, then twice more by Inaki. If you want to fly faster than anyone else ever has at Santa Iria, you now have to do better than 31.5 secs.

I enjoyed this comp a lot and learned from it, too. 6:30 flight in the morning. Time to sleep.

• Like 5

Stefan Bertschi

btw. Mission accomplished today. Mila Awyr 4080g/52cm - way above FAI limits :-)

• Like 3