The Frsky X9E Thread

satinet

I have had identical problems with both my Taranis Plus and my X9e.

I have tried 4 X6 and 1 X8 new recievers. One X6 was next to useless and gave critical alarms at less than 50mtrs. Another locked my ProdiJ out off Rhossilli downs at around 150mtrs but it recovered just before hitting the hill some way down.

FS3, Fosa and Shinto have all been tried with X6 and X8 receivers on the X9e and best I have managed is around 300mtrs before alarms are ringing. Often Critical. Critical is now set at 5 points lower than standard setting.

All models fly great on both taranis Plus and X9e when used with the MPX module and MPX recievers but I cannot achieve any succes with Frysky. Reading through lots of threads I have been guided to check the aerial of the X9e, Checked  tonight and it rotates, (it shouldn't) I sanded the rubber shroud down a little as discussed elsewhere and also tried switching them around so the bluetooth one, which seems a little better was on the TX (right side) . Checking the SWR it varies from 17 to 0 never sitting with a stable readout. So it looks like my aerial is dodgy. I looked to see if the MPX one would fit but connections are reversed so I cannot try this. Again reading threads some users have purchased different aerials but one is still reporting a random loss of reception. 

I also still have the same range issues with the Taranis Plus , which of course has a more significant aerial, but mine does have the aerial connected to the board by a snap on connector, which rumour has it Taranis tried with this model before going back to a soldered connection. So perhaps I have two seperate issues.

X9e has poor aerials and aerial connections on the handle , and the Taranis Plus has poor aerial connections on the PCB board. 

Until such time that this is fixed the Frysky receivers are remaining in their boxes. 

Real shame - hopefully a fix will be found soon as its a great radio with a few problems (like it won't control anything remotely!)  Unless of course it thinks its a Multiplex : )

Very sad to hear that you have lost a model Tom, hopefully it wil turn up soon. Perhaps you need a freid with a drone to search those fields for you.

To me its sad to hear about the issues people are having with this new tray radio which on the face of it has such great promise. However, when I hear things from experienced people/pilots such as "The aerials are crap and need replacing" along with the other problems/issues being reported, it leaves me cold.

Here's what the various comments being reported tell me:

1. The X9E was not properly bench/field tested by the manufacturers before general release.

2. That a cheap radio can become a very expensive radio real quick. 

3. Wait at least a year before jumping in to buy any new FrSky radio as by then its likely they would have sorted out any major hardware/software/performance issues.

Yes, every radio can have issues, but not to the same basic level as I am seeing reported about the X9E from experienced pilots.

I'm a FrSky user myself who uses a lot of their FASST clone Rx's and they have proven themselves over many years to be rock solid performers with outstanding range. Thats why I'm sad to see whats being reported about the X9E. FrSky can produce great radio gear but it appears likely that they have taken their eye off the ball with this one. I just hope FrSky do not make the same basic errors when it comes time to release the Horus, which I for one, would have liked to try out as a potential future replacement for my Futaba gear.

Tom. I'm sorry to hear about your fly-away. I hope you find the plane and that it is repairable.

I too am sad about it..

But put it into perspective.

Two people have had issues. (To my knowlege)

That does not make the radio bad. It could just be some bad radios out of a largely good batch.

Regardless... time will no doubt tell!

Despite recently buying both the plus and the x9e and having these problems with both I don't regret the purchase. I bought the plus to see if opentx would suit me. It does, with help from mike s I have a few great setups and my models are performing better than they were. 

Currently it's disappointing about neither radio working with frysky receivers but with a mpx module that cost me 9euro from Germany they are great radios. 

Options I had were to stay with the 4000 or buy another mpx transmitter so that the multitude of mpx receivers I have would not need replacing or buy two taranis and a modules. Compare that against buying two Jeti radios and 10 + receivers. 

Mike,

Both you and Tom are not alone.

I set my X9E up in some foam to be on that safe side.

Went down my local field with my Multiplex Porter and completely lost it.

Initial range check seemed ok, but only got an estimated 300 yards, pretty poor range.

Config X9E with the x6 receiver it came with.

Model flew well with previous RX being a futaba 6008.

I wont be putting the frsky into a mouldy until the issues have been sorted out by the supplier.

I do have a couple more receivers to try out and will put those in my zagi and see what I get.

Crud really if I am honest, Im tempted to invoke consumer rights and ask for a full refund including postage costs.

Jon

Bit confused with this thread at the moment. From what I have deduced from all the problems mentioned, they seem to be with the X rated Rx's. So if the Taranis Plus is used with the previous type, would this be OK?. A friend of mine has purchased the X9e, but was not impressed with it as a hand held flyer, as it is heavy and not easy to reach the stick with the thumbs, more a tray radio IMHO, probably why it had th E for European in the title.

I have a Taranis ACCST which work fine, occasionally get a low signal warning, but there has never been a problem.

The other thing is, was the fail safe not set on the models that were lost?

Taranis Plus purchased after Jan 2015 is EU version which comes with X rated reciever, the same as the X9e.

It is sold as being able to only be used with X rated receivers.

Flashing back to older firmware can change this - and if the problem is the recievers this may be a cure. But EU regs are in force and the product is sold to suit.

For my taste the X9e is great as a thumb flier.

Fail safe will not land your model especially on a windy hillside.

Tilman Baumann

I'm very happy with my taranis x9e tray version.

But not without reservations. The gimbals are a bit nasty compared to the old ones. (Consistent centering is near impossible with low stick tension. Stick tension is highly nonlinear)

The button labels are nonsensical.

The back cover plastic is wobbly.

The fold up strap holders are way too weak.

But for the money. Still OK.

O wish they would had cut fewer corners with the quality. I doubt they know the magic price they had to hit. I would have paid more.

The new EU safe protocol seems a bit less robust. But it hasn't causes me grief or disconcern yet.

Pinch flyer. Happy camper. :)

I love my 9plus right up to a conversation with Neil telling me how many people have now lost models due to the 9e & the 9plus.

Mind you running for cover (back to pre 9plus) can catch you out just as much but I'll let Goggg explain that little whitisism ;)

Not had any issues yet in 6 months flying my  Sblitz 60" on an x4r

carbon z cub Electric on an x8r or my radian pro also on an x8r. 

I've been running one of the first batch of x9D until recently, when I converted across to the X9e because the transmitter provide a much more stable platform.

Previous I run with the FRSky hack on a Multiplex I never had any concerns about the radio link,

I've run the X9e since its release in the uk now and I've not experienced any of the fly aways or lost of control, but tons of low signal warning even when the model is relatively close.

In view the reports on this thread and that I'm flying expensive F3F gliders I thought it was a sensible move to flash the rx back to non-Eu  and run with 9XD until I had time to check out the X9E system thoroughly.

My initial thought are the small stub aerial will not radiate as well as the original aerial

The aerial position on the handle for Slope Soaring is extremely poor a model on the right of the slope the aerial point directly at it iwhich in the reception null and worst still on the left the handle and other aerial for Bluetooth will mask the signal even more.

I do think the EU firmware may be part of the problem and do plan to flash back and test, but I plan to test a better aerial system and one that I can run at 45 Deg to give it every chance.

Sunday I retest the X9D and I was getting around 30m on range check before it dropped down 40dB.

Neil

I personally agree that it is firmware related.

Would be interesting if one of those having problems reflashed to the non eu firmware, and tested again.

F3f and slope you generally fly pretty close. F3b some of my launches start over 300 in height.

But Mike has less range than that. The range seems very limited

I personally agree that it is firmware related.

Would be interesting if one of those having problems reflashed to the non eu firmware, and tested again.

Rob, there doesn't seem to be any traffic about this on openrc forums, which seems odd.

The thing that worries me if it is the firmware is whether new taranis and taranis plus radios are affected.

Club members often ask me to help flashing the EU upgrades, it would be quite annoying to think I was recommending flawed firmware.

It does make me wonder if flashing to non EU would be better.

Presumably the firmware in the receiver and the internal module is the same in the X9E and taranis or at least similar.

Worrying

I've run the X9e since its release in the uk now and I've not experienced any of the fly aways or lost of control, but tons of low signal warning even when the model is relatively close.

I would be very cautious about flying with the X9e. The range is very limited. As you have experienced it can't handle more than 2 or 3 hundred metres before it drops out. 

You know.. it's possible it is just a few of the radios the have the problem :)

Before we dismiss things as being rubbish - maybe some wider testing is required?