Sign in to follow this  
Bbdave

Greetings from Devon

Bbdave

Hi I have done a little RC glider flying with my radian but having recently built a rubber powered piper cub I have been bitten by the building bug and i don't really like polystyrene planes.

I have dug out an old FG. Fuselage and wing plan dated 1982 for a glider called a Cadenza century 100. With help from dad (oldest aero modeller in the world) I have placed an order for wood and await it's arrival. 

I will use a high start to begin from Little Haldon a local flying site but some light wind slope stuff would be cool if I know where to go and what to do. 

So that's me looking for help advise and generally everything to get into soaring and hopefully look like I know what I'm doing.

Dave

Jef Ott

How is the Cadenza build going?

My Dad is actually the oldest aeromodeller in the world too!

Good luck,

Jef

RamJam 53

Well done Dave. More people should try Building their own, the satisfaction is enormous and it's also very healthy for a Human being to problem solve and use their hands. People always make excuses about not having the time but half an hour a day is all that is needed to make progress. I have just completed an Amigo 4 kit and the test glides a week ago took me back to my childhood days of chasing free flight Gliders around. I have been building a Chris Foss Phase 5 for the last two years at least (I think everyone who builds does this on at least one model). I have recently (over the last 6 years) built 2 Middlephases, a phase 6, West wings Skylak and Westwings orion.

Best Glues to use. Tite- Bond 2 for main structures. Aliphatic Resin for ribs and lighter parts. Some people use CA for speed of build, the drawback is that it makes the wood brittle where it penetrates. Aliphatic is like CA  in that you can assemble parts and run it into joints but when it soaks into the wood it increases the strength, it does take longer to cure though. You can tack with CA then run the Aliphatic into the joint. Tite-bond 2 is a lightweight furniture glue and is used on the Fuselage/ Formers/ Longerons etc.

The beauty of Building today is the access to modern composites for strengthening. Carbon Tow is great for adding strength and lightweight glass cloth used with finishing Resin is great for strengthening Fuselages forward of the wings and on the wing root sheeting.

Good luck and enjoy the building.

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Hi Dave & welcome to the forum

Good luck with the build - really satisfying flying something you've created yourself.

For advice near you on all things soaring - have a talk to Stan Yeo (PMP Models) - he will know of other flyers local to you as well. I'm also in Devon - but about 30 miles east of Exeter, close to the Dorset border, so don't get to fly down your way.

Stan / PMP:

http://www.phoenixmp.com/

thermaldoctor

I will use a high start to begin from Little Haldon a local flying site but some light wind slope stuff would be cool if I know where to go and what to do. 

So that's me looking for help advise and generally everything to get into soaring and hopefully look like I know what I'm doing.

Definitely ring Stan Yeo at Phoenix Model Products. There are a number of good and friendly fliers around that area that will be only too pleased to help. Graham Hill, Joe Spiers, Chris Bowles plus of course Stan. 

Little Haldon is okay to have a go with a bungee and about the only place in South Devon that resembles something flat, but is also surrounded on 2 sides by a slope so you can slope soar off a bungee there too. 

Dartmoor has a number of reasonable slopes but there will be others that can give you better information than I can.

Ring Stan....:-)

Edited by thermaldoctor

Bbdave

Hi I have finished it and quite proud of my first build I have had a couple of launches off my bungee which needs to be longer it's only 10m bungee 30m line , it flies a lot quicker than my radian which will take some getting used to.

20150927_081816.jpg

• Like 4

wookman

Nice one Dave. :)

isoaritfirst

thats a very nicely proportioned model. 

satinet

Very nice.